Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: eGalax touchscreen setup and calibration in Ubuntu Lucid (with calibration tool)

Beans

Re: eGalax touchscreen setup and calibration in Ubuntu Lucid (with calibration tool)

Hi!
    Works for me too Many thanks, border!

Off: by the way, does anybody know correct keyboard mapping name for Q1U (or how to tune default)?
    Michael

Beans

Re: eGalax touchscreen setup and calibration in Ubuntu Lucid (with calibration tool)

Hello Cka3o4nik, thanks for all the help from this thread, and the other post you sent on my thread, i've just a request for some more info please.

Is there a working Graphic calibration tool specifically for the Samsung Q1 ultra under Ubuntu netwbook Edition 10.04 as you mention the use of one that you had used, or, were the settings in the '11-touchkit.conf' file worked out through personal diagnosis while testing the Q1 Ultra's touch-screen, the reason i ask is, i can't seem to follow or work out what's the Samsung Q1 Ultra's calibration tool that's being refered to in this thread, or it's instructions on how to install it.

I just wanted to see if i could get the touch-screen to be a little more precise.

Kind regards
    Livio

Beans

Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by liviococcia View Post
    Is there a working Graphic calibration tool specifically for the Samsung Q1 ultra under Ubuntu netwbook Edition 10.04 as you mention the use of one that you had used
    Oh, there's some misunderstanding. I only referenced border's method to solve the problem. On my Q1 I just made that config and it helped. I didn't use any calibration tools. Only tried several configs before.

But I seriously doubt someone would develop calibration tool specially for Q1 under Ubuntu. There might be some common tools.

, or, were the settings in the '11-touchkit.conf' file worked out through personal diagnosis while testing the Q1 Ultra's touch-screen,
    You should ask the author of config, I suppose

the reason i ask is, i can't seem to follow or work out what's the Samsung Q1 Ultra's calibration tool that's being refered to in this thread, or it's instructions on how to install it.

I just wanted to see if i could get the touch-screen to be a little more precise.
    I also plan to do precise calibration, but later. I need to get WiFi working stable first. Does your's work properly? Mine looses connection in a minute it connected to network. Getting fresh MadWifi drivers didn't help.
    Last edited by Cka3o4nik; June 8th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
    Michael

Beans

cheers for that Cka3o4nik, i use a UK 'T-Mobile' mobile broadband dongle connection, i just followed the network manager/tools setup process and it setup without a hitch, i've had no issues using this connection, i have had the unit connected by 'Ethernet' and not had problems either, but have not tried a 'Wireless' connection through any network's routers as yet, i will give this a go, i'll try either later tonight or tommorow (Thursday) using a friends router he's on a 'Plusnet' connection, and his router's made by 'Huawei' i think.

I'll post back the results.
    regards

Beans

Thanks, liviococcia. I'm looking forward for your results
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got these calibration values from a config file which was included in hardy http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ume...msung-q1-ultra
    If my information is correct the q1 ultra was the main development platform for the ubuntu mobile edition version of hardy heron.

The calibrations options are ok, but not quite that, they seem a little bit of at the right side of the screen, which makes it difficult to scroll windows. I have had a little bit of succes adjusting the max X value a little. More details on that later on.

There seems to exist a calibration tool for the evtouch driver (the driver used in the config I posted).
    /usr/lib/xf86-input-evtouch/calibrate.sh
    But that doesn't work. That could be because it uses hal, and hal is not used anymore in lucid. And the last update the package had was in 2008.
    So I guess there is not much hope in it getting an update so the calibration method works.

The calibration program explained in the OP of this thread does work, but it's values are not usable as far as I know.

Maybe it is time to create a new thread with all this information about the q1 ultra, since we are hijacking this thread more or less (MODS?)
    Maybe I'll create a new one tomorrow.

cheers

Beans

+1 about creating new thread for Q1.

Is WiFi connection on your's Q1U working stable?
    Michael

Beans

Hello Cka3o4nik, I've just check my wireless connection, the ISP was Plusnet, and i know this to be a recent broadband account of a friends, i'm guessing it's was there latest 'Wireless' router that i was using, i didn't make a note of the model though.

I can only describe the router, it's Apple mac glossy white finish with rounded corners, and a single ariel, all the lights are very small and green when fully syncronised, there located on the top, and to the corner of the router, diagonally oposite to the ariel.

It was sited in his basement area, and i was using the Q1 Ultra in the loft of the house when i first chose the plusnet connection and put in the wireless security 'key', it connected with no problems.

I did some browsing for around 2 hours, and then went to the 'Update manager' for any new updates, there were 34 and they were mainly 'OpenOffice', Chromium browser and 'Rythembox' plugins, from the distance of the router and my location the download rate did fluctuate, jumping around '5000 B/s' going upto '35 Kb/s', but i notice the signal bar's of the 'Network connection' icon kept increasing, then decreasing constantly.

As the updates were being downloaded. i decided to move the Q1 Ultra closer to the router, so i went into the basement, i notice that although the download rate had increased, going between 40 Kb/s and 198 Kb/s, the 'Network connection' signal strength idicator bars at this location were now full, and stable though, and 'Update Manager' completing all it's downloading, and installing took around 1 hour to do, i then did a little more web browsing, about an hour, and then disconnected the Plusnet connection.

What i would mention is, that while i was using the Q1 Ultra via it Wireless connection, i found it was slightly slower, as if running the Wireless adapter with a connection running through it was using more memory, even though i always have the wireless adapter turned on, though i don't have a router to use on it.

I would also mention that my Q1 Ultra has been fitted with the maximum memory modules allowed in it, and that i did have BIO's updates installed via the Samsung Update Plus software when it was running Windows XP, i ran the Samsung Update check on a regular basis, i've only been running Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 for around month, or just over.

After checking if you have latest BIO's version, and installing it if you don't, i would then go back into the BIO's again and make sure to 'Load Default settings', and 'Save and Exit', just incase something has changed, or was never quite right with the Wireless adapter in the settings for running Ubuntu.

I then delete any current network connections you have, and, any old Wireless or Mobile connections you previously had used, through the 'Network Connections' software, then restart the Q1 ultra, i wouldn't setup a Wireless connection again on the router your having these issues with, but would try someone elses router first, this may show the problems with your router.

If doing the above did point to the router, i'd first get another Microfilter, and would unplug any phones and turn any 'cordless' phones and there 'handsets' off completely, leave them unplugged for now, check all the connections between the BT socket a 'new' Microfilter and the router, then ask a friend to 'Wirelessly' connect to your router (someone with a dual 'OS' (Win/ubuntu) computer would be best, or using a 'Live' Ubuntu version), if they experiance wireless issues, i do a 'full reset' of the router to make sure it's set to it's defaults (make sure you have the 'Default' WAP/WEP security access keys, your router manufacturer 'defualt' one for your model, your ISP's original one, and the one you might have created yourself before resetting the router).

If they didn't experiance any problems connecting, after using there computer for a bit, and while they are still connected to your router, setup your connection on the Q1 Ultra, if you are still suffering the same problems then you know it could really only be corruption somewhere in the Ubuntu networking part of the software, or it's hardware drivers settings, but give it another check using a Ubuntu Netbook Edition or Ubuntu in a 'Live' CD run, and see if it runs Ok this way, if it does, then it has to almost certainly be the Wireless driver settings or the Wireless Hardware driver's it's using.

If you find that you are both connecting ok, i know this may sound crazy but just try a few household electrical items while you are still connected, like microwaves, coffee machines, turn off and on Fridges and Freezers, and game consols. My sister had a strange problem with both here Wireless router from Sky, an XBox 360 and an electric expresso coffee machine, even though the household wiring was all new and to spec, if she turned any of these items on her wireless connection would drop for some strange reason.

Hope something here might be of help

regards
    Last edited by liviococcia; June 11th, 2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: To add additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello,

Information for the Samsung Q1 Ultra now goes here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1506246

to make it clear that it is a different subject than the one of the OP.
    Maybe it's handy to repeat the interesting stuff there so it's bundled at 1 place.

cheers

Beans

Hello liviococcia, I answered your message at a new thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1506246).
    Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast