Page 138 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1839

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

New kernel didn't fix for me but now going to try this patch. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Quote Originally Posted by nunrgguy View Post
    New kernel didn't fix for me but now going to try this patch. Thanks.
    Patch was a no go for me & the kernel was a letdown also.
    ASUS Intel H61(B3) Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1155 (P8H61-M LX) Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache 1333MHz 4 Gig DIMM-DRAM PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 2DVI/Mini-HDMI PCI-Express Video Card http://www.youtube.com/user/Hippieinthewoods

Beans

So glad to find that I am not the only one losing my mind on this. I have two Ubuntu 10.10 systems. One is running perfectly with no freezing. The other is driving me nuts. It freezes so randomly! I thought it was the video card, the kernel, the power supply, the memory. I have tried it all, swapped it all, updated kernels and drivers, even put a new motherboard in. I will try the suggested patch procedure and post tomorrow if it changes anything. I have a feeling that it is an IRQ kind of problem, similar to the behavior of a Windows 95 machine having IRQ troubles. Please keep posting!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Question Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Quote Originally Posted by rodkerbs View Post
    So glad to find that I am not the only one losing my mind on this. I have two Ubuntu 10.10 systems. One is running perfectly with no freezing. The other is driving me nuts. It freezes so randomly! I thought it was the video card, the kernel, the power supply, the memory. I have tried it all, swapped it all, updated kernels and drivers, even put a new motherboard in. I will try the suggested patch procedure and post tomorrow if it changes anything. I have a feeling that it is an IRQ kind of problem, similar to the behavior of a Windows 95 machine having IRQ troubles. Please keep posting!
    HMMM, IRQ probs. don't think so, but how do I check?
    ASUS Intel H61(B3) Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1155 (P8H61-M LX) Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache 1333MHz 4 Gig DIMM-DRAM PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 2DVI/Mini-HDMI PCI-Express Video Card http://www.youtube.com/user/Hippieinthewoods

Beans

i just installed ubuntu. It just freezes after booting. I am new user. this is the first time I am trying. Can any one help oplease

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Arrow Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Quote Originally Posted by katna View Post
    i just installed ubuntu. It just freezes after booting. I am new user. this is the first time I am trying. Can any one help oplease
    You got Ubuntu at a bad time, this is a bug in the OS it seems & drives a lot of users nuts, it has no specified cause.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OK, I can now say with certainty
    Code:
    acpi=force irqpoll
    has cured my version of the pointer freeze bug on my 10.04 install (Kernel 2.6.32-25) I have not tried the -26 Kernel yet, but I have had it up for over 3 days and have restarted it several times today, while trying everything I could to get it to freeze (Play MP3's while hot-plugging a USB thumb drive and copying a 4+GB file to it), either of those seemed to trigger a freeze in the past.

I'm now using my 10.10 install with the new 2.6.35-22 kernel, playing a MP3 in the background and typing this in FF. Uptime is 9 hours so far including the kernel upgrade and subsequent reboot.

The MP3 reference pertains to my prior thought that pulse audio had something to do with the freeze, for a complete explanation of this thought and the fact that I had completely removed pulse audio is documented in my posts (Last 3 posts) in the launchpad bug report Here, Short version...Removing Pulse Audio did NOT help.

My version of the freeze bug is explained in post #1361 in this thread, and more detail on my troubleshooting steps are also in the above mentioned launchpad thread. It may help if any new posters to this thread explain their specific symptoms and system specs.

So bottom line for MY freeze version:
    In 10.04- The real-time Kernel "2.6.31-11rt" works perfect, = > 2.6.32-xx freezes, adding
    Code:
    acpi=force irqpoll
    to these Kernels fixes the freeze, Kernel 2.6.32-26 is untested by me at this point (I'll get to it next).

In 10.10- Any Kernel prior to the newest 2.6.35-22 freezes, and I am now into testing that Kernel without any Kernel Options.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivarn View Post

It has been fixed but I am not sure if the new kernel has the fix or not since I installed the patch 2 days before the new kernel came. I think it came yesterday or something.
    What kernel version are you talking about here mate?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivarn View Post

It has been fixed but I am not sure if the new kernel has the fix or not since I installed the patch 2 days before the new kernel came. I think it came yesterday or something.

If you have already installed the new kernel but everything is still jerky, here's the fix.

Add this to your /etc/rc.local file (sudo gedit /etc/rc.local)
    Code:
    mkdir -p /dev/cgroup/cpu
    mount -t cgroup cgroup /dev/cgroup/cpu -o cpu
    mkdir -m 0777 /dev/cgroup/cpu/user
    echo "/usr/local/sbin/cgroup_clean" > /dev/cgroup/cpu/release_agent

and make it executable

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local

And then add the following to your ~/.bashrc file (to open it: gedit ~/.bashrc):

Code:
    if [ "$PS1" ] ; then
    mkdir -p -m 0700 /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$ > /dev/null 2>&1
    echo $$ > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/tasks
    echo "1" > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/notify_on_release
    fi

Run the following command:

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/local/sbin/cgroup_clean

And paste this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    rmdir /dev/cgroup/cpu/$*

then save the file and make it executable:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/cgroup_clean

And finally, restart the computer or manually run the /etc/rc.local file ("sudo /etc/rc.local").

This looks just like the alternative for the ~200 line kernel patch. This would just make the interface more responsive under a heavy load, and it DOES NOT fix the issue with random PERMANENT freezes right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by JBAlaska View Post

In 10.10- Any Kernel prior to the newest 2.6.35-22 freezes, and I am now into testing that Kernel without any Kernel Options.
    Sounds good, mate. I've had those mouse pointer freezes too, but I've also had uptimes in the dozens of days, as a general rule, the more gui activity there is, the shorter the uptime

Anyway, thanks for testing and keep us posted on 10.10.

My system specs are rather similar, also k800t here with an amd64x2 4200, nvidia gfx card, currently running Linux Mint 8 (but I've tried a multitude of 10.04 / 10.10 based distros with no final solution).

All the best, Uwe

Page 138 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast