Page 1 of 184 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Hi all!

It seems that my Ubuntu 10.04 (clean install) to randomly freeze / hang (mouse/keyboard unresponsive, only a hard reboot is available as option) but with no garbled screens/windows/etc. There's no pattern why or any application that could be responsible. It could happen ten minutes after it is started or after 2 days but at some point and suddenly the system will become totally unresponsive, freeze and hang up. I used the same PC with Karmic Koala and releases before that (sometimes on for days) with no such problem so it shouldn't be a hardware problem.

I thoroughly check system logs after the hard reboot (System > Administation > Log File Viewer) and there's no entry around the time of each freeze / hang to pinpoint me to something.

The only thing that is certain is that the following errors / warnings always appear in .xsession-errors file:

Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/lkrory21/.config/metacity/sessions/1080c45259ed06f712734738133612800000012480026.ms: Failed to open file '/home/lkrory21/.config/metacity/sessions/1080c45259ed06f712734738133612800000012480026.ms': No such file or directory

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1321): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1321): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed

** (update-notifier:1457): DEBUG: Skipping reboot required

4. (If I use Chrome)
    (exe:1524): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

5. (If I use Firefox, in this case the file is literally flooded with this warning)
    (firefox-bin:1579): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

Here is also some info about my system:
    M/B: ASUS P4R800-V DELUXE
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    RAM: 1GB
    Graphics: ATI Radeon 9100 IGP

Any suggestions what else I might check?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

first check: system admin hardware driver, is yours activated ?
    then try without: flash, compiz, java if installed

you have some of the not yet fixed bugs

metacity --replace

sudo dpkg --configure -a

install gconf-cleaner and use it (yes to all)
    install bleachbit and use it "as admin" but take time to read and understand every setting (in doubt dont check the selected setting)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Dino99, thanx for your quick reply!

1.System > Administration > Hardware Drivers:
    No proprietary drivers are in use in this system.

2.I 'm not using compiz and/or and have System/Preferences/Appearance/Visual Effects set to 'None'

3.Can you explain the bit about without flash and/or java? Should I uninstall them?

4.I will also try your suggestions and come back.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi again!

1.The command "metacity --replace" made application windows appear weird and produced these errors in in .xsession-errors:

(yelp:1844): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_misc_set_alignment: assertion `GTK_IS_MISC (misc)' failed

(yelp:1844): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_misc_set_alignment: assertion `GTK_IS_MISC (misc)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:1855): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:1855): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:1860): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:1860): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-terminal:1868): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_map_unlock_path: assertion `entry != NULL && entry->lock_count > 0' failed

(gnome-terminal:1868): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_map_unlock_path: assertion `entry != NULL && entry->lock_count > 0' failed

(gnome-terminal:1898): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_map_unlock_path: assertion `entry != NULL && entry->lock_count > 0' failed

(gnome-power-manager:1282): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    Shutting down nautilus-gdu extension

** (gnome-panel:1287): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer

** (gnome-panel:1287): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer
    PolicyKit daemon disconnected from the bus.
    We are no longer a registered authentication agent.
    nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    bluetooth-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    gnome-screensaver: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    gdu-notification-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    update-notifier: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
    google-chrome: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

Mouse / Keyboard was not unresponsive so I restarted my PC.

2.I installed and run gconf-cleaner and it did clean 66 entries. These warnings appeared in .xsession-errors:

** (gnome-system-monitor:1532): WARNING **: SELinux was found but is not enabled.

** (gnome-screensaver:1402): WARNING **: Config key not handled: /apps/gnome-screensaver/theme

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have similar freeze in 10.04 happening all the time...
    Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well no luck with dino99's suggestions as my system did crash a few minutes ago after being on for almost 24 hours with heavy browsing, torrents, listening to music, etc. This time happened while I tried to open Synaptic (although yesterday it did open and worked fine yesterday)

Again the symptoms are the same: no record of something weird in the system logs and the errors mentioned in my first post in .xsession-errors.

This is getting frustrating!

you have some of the not yet fixed bugs
    Can anyone point me to the bugs not fixed mentioned in Dino99's post in order to follow them? Anyone has any other suggestion what else can I check?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I too am having random freezing problems after upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04 (clean installed last beta then upgraded). Although I'm using Kubuntu it is very similar to what Ikrory describes - suddenly the PC is unresponsive to keyboard and mouse. I can be in the middle of something, or have left it... I find some of the same messages in .xsession-errors, at least the "cannot register.." and the XID collision (running Opera). I've tried disabling desktop effects (compositing) and I'm now trying to disable services (system settings->service manager in kubuntu, don't know about gnome), so far without luck, but you could try the same...?

Beans

I was able to get my PS/2 mouse and keyboard working again, at least once, by simply reloading the psmouse module remotely.

Code:
    sudo rmmod psmouse
    sudo modprobe psmouse
    I found this out just some 10 minutes ago, so I'm not sure if it will work again next time.

I haven't found any error messages in any logs, but suddenly the mouse and keyboard just stop working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Let me join the chorus of crash and freeze victims.

I am running 10.04 AMD64 with all updates. This is an desktop AMD dual core system with ATI onboard X1200 graphics through the X.org radeon driver (the only choice, ATI "legacied" this gpu a year ago).

My crashes usually come after the system is left unattended as if had gone into hibernation and something went wrong. Also suffered other nondescript random reboots while using the system.

This situation developed after a clean install of 10.04.

Can anyone suggest a way to diagnose the problem and generate a meaningful but report? Nothing shows in logs I looked at.

Beans

Same here. Clean install, random mouse/keybord freeze.
    ASUS P5N32-E-SLI plus, Intel Core Duo E6550 2,33, 2 GB Ram, GeForce 8500 GT.

Page 1 of 184 1231151101 ... LastLast