Page 164 of 184 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 1839

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Quote Originally Posted by Handssolow View Post
    Incidentally, why are so many people getting multiple posting in this thread, it's not happened before? Could the mods tidy things up?
    We are working on it. Please check out this link to see what's going on.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48

Thanks for your patience,
    uRock
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

EDIT: See below for more details, this post edited for redundancy reasons.
    Last edited by hoover67; January 21st, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Beans

;( I am extremely sorry... I had one crash already :/ But only one for several hours... at the moment.

I do have an old laptop, so the lo parameters may not be taken into new kernels' account.

>>>>>>>>>> I suggest: look posts 1625 and older.

Beans
    Distro

Just for the record, I also have a problem with 10.04 and 10.10 both hanging after about 20GB or so during largish rsync jobs from an internal sata disk to an external usb drive (xfs formatted).

During an rsync -av (I've tried both the latest version compiled from source and the rsync provided by the distro) from one disk to another, the job would eat 100% cpu after transferring about 20gb of data, then just hang and sit there blocking the shell session. Typing Ctrl-C doesn't help, nor does kill(1)ing the job with -9 in another session, the only thing that gets rid of it is a reboot or shutdown -r now, for that matter.

For laffs, I booted pclinuxos 2010.12 off an usb stick yesterday as I haven't been able to securely back up my internal drives for a while now, reformatted my 750gb ext. usb drive with xfs from there, and happily transferred about 600gb of data from the internal drives to the ext. drive without a single hang, freeze, blinking keyboard light or whatever.

pclinuxos uses kernel 2.6.32.something, so I'm guessing (as others have before in this thread)it's some change in the kernel that killed ubuntu's (and mint's, for that matter) stability on my system. (See my earlier posts for hardware specs).

All the best, Uwe

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed my post from last night has made it into the thread even though chrome just sat there waiting for hours when I tried submitting it...
    Last edited by hoover67; January 21st, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Continued from my post in the previous page.

My system has now been running without error for nearly 48 hours. This is the longest it has done so since installing 10.04 and later 10.10.

I have had my visual effects set to none for some time so the only recent change is just the cpu fan setting in BIOS which was DISABLED (untouched previously by myself so must have been the factory pre-set) but is now set to 4pin.

I'll continue to keep things going as they are now and update as and if/when things change.

re someones comment about multiple posts, yesterday I had a lot of problems trying to edit my post - error displayed after a lengthy period of the loading icon flashing. i guess some folks may have been submitting reply several times.
    ubuntu 10.10
    Dual Monitors (1920x1080 - 1280x1060)
    Quad Core AMD Athlon
    nVidia GF8200 M2+

Beans

Strange... it looks like the the system (or forum admins???) remove the posts that discredit the way things are going!!!

I have seen a post with a good question to the forum staff, why they somehow can make themselves or others work on the isssue of the multiple posts, and since may 2010 cannot inform the developers about this extremely serious issue! I cannot see the post now - was it deleted???

and WHY THE HECK, it takes so long to fix this???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestgril View Post
    Strange... it looks like the the system (or forum admins???) remove the posts that discredit the way things are going!!!

I have seen a post with a good question to the forum staff, why they somehow can make themselves or others work on the isssue of the multiple posts, and since may 2010 cannot inform the developers about this extremely serious issue! I cannot see the post now - was it deleted???

and WHY THE HECK, it takes so long to fix this???
    The posts have been moved to the forum feedback and help sub-forums. Ubuntu bugs are filed via Launchpad.net.

Please keep the thread on topic.
    Last edited by uRock; January 22nd, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

@Handsslow, this is not a solution. The machines are already too slow as it is. (I have a bad habit of wanting to make my computer and/or my hard drive at least 3x faster.)

In any case, I've been stuck on 9.1 for some time now. At this time, I found out that Eclipse and the Android toolkit requires 10.04 at least. I'm afraid, with this problem not fixed and seeming to venture into 10.1, that I'll have to move to Wintendo. I'll still keep 10.04 running on my home proxy and file server, as it does not use X, but my laptop and desktop will need to be upgraded. I'll start with my primary laptop and move it starting tonight to Wintendo 7.

/shakes head
    kai
    The Content Management and Workflow Forum: http://www.ecmplace.com
    a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, I'm now heading towards days 3 without rebooting...

No freezes, no glitches, a lot of work being done across all 4 workspaces:

Text editing, FTP. Chat, Thunderbird Email, The GIMP, Firefox, Chrome ... not a single hiccup.

I can't believe it and I am still waiting for it to all go **** up (<--- edit: is the four letter word for breasts really in need of word filtering? seeing stars there actually makes me think of words much worse than 7I7S...) but I think this fan issue and desktop effects (or rather the install of nVidia drivers to allow effects) has been the root cause all along.

The only thing is how to let new users or older user who might not visit this thread know about it?
    Last edited by tk189; January 22nd, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: to lol @ ****
    ubuntu 10.10
    Dual Monitors (1920x1080 - 1280x1060)
    Quad Core AMD Athlon
    nVidia GF8200 M2+

Beans
    Distro

Grats TK, I've had 14 days of uptime on my crashy ubuntu / mint desktop and I had hoped that the problem had been solved by something I did, but then it crashed just the same

Anyway, I'm now taking a different approach: I've finally managed to get kernel 2.6.32 (from 10.04 LTS) to run on Linux Mint 10 (based on Maverick) and I'm using the nvidia-current drivers for now (V260 on an nv 6200 based card).

I was forced to switch from nouveau to nvidia because I could not get tvtime to work on 2.6.32 (it complained about a missing xvideo yuv overlay thingy).

I'll report back if / when the crashes re-occur, I might even try a largish rsync over usb... I'm feeling adventurous

All the best,

Uwe

Page 164 of 184 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast