Thread: Simplest way to run windows apps virtualized from an existing XP install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Simplest way to run windows apps virtualized from an existing XP install?

Howdy ho all,

After convincing my wife to try Kubuntu and over the last few years getting used to it, she now needs to run a particular windows only app. It's already installed on XP on another partition.

I'd really rather it wasn't locked to a virtualisation window, but if needs be, then that's ok.

After Googling many outdated Vmware / Virtualbox / Qemu / KVM tutorials I thought I'd ask here.

What's the easiest way of doing this? Thanks!
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans

Re: Simplest way to run windows apps virtualized from an existing XP install?

Have you looked into Wine and/or Mono? Depending on the complexity of the program, you may need to reinstall the application on Ubuntu for it to run correctly; even then it may not perform as required.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you are planing to run windows as virtual OS, u can go for Virtualbox, its a good one, user friendly and very stable one . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WorMzy View Post
    Have you looked into Wine and/or Mono?
    Yeah. I tried both the stable and dev versions of wine. Didn't even get through the installer. I don't quite understand where mono would come into this...

If you are planing to run windows as virtual OS, u can go for Virtualbox
    Is it still necessary to convert my whole Windows partition to a separate VM disk image to do this? I saw this in a few tutorials, but it seemed kind of extreme and came with dire warnings about making the original partiton unusable. That's what kind of scared me into asking here first...
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Else, installing Virtual Box isn't difficult installing, nor is it difficult using.

Id reccomend downloading it from The VB site

There is a open source version available through the software center, how ever, this lacks some crucial stuff like USB support.

Anyway, Good luck with it.
    "...It takes a special kind of incompetence to not be able to make a browser that you coded for an OS that you coded not work across all of your OS versions." - Camfered Edge, on theverge, said in regards to microsofts criticism of google updates

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i really dont know many apps not able to directly be used with wine

(winehq, need to add the ppa to the repo into synaptic: ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    ( https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa)

some apps need we use winetricks too: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Beans

You can use Mono for running .NET applications, but if Wine isn't getting past the installation then there's not much point considering Mono.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.