Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ubuntu in a large office. . .

Beans

Re: Ubuntu in a large office. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_View View Post
    Oh yeah, before I forget - everyone who wanted to string up the IT department there, you can set your phasers to stun.

Cheers!

Dave.
    And the moral of the story is...

Don't go making an argument from a half baked tale.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chessnerd View Post
    A "crash" means different things to different people. My mother is constantly claiming the computer "crashed" when really it was only the web browser.
    true story.

my friend told me she thought her laptop had a virus. she had to bang the display to get it to, um, display.

apparently, viruses can cause laptops to fall off the desk and onto the floor without any human intervention...
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    apparently, viruses can cause laptops to fall off the desk and onto the floor without any human intervention...
    Viruses can cause laptops to accidentally fall out of 5 storey buildings *with* human intervention too, but that is another matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by clanky View Post
    I love the way everyone knows enough about the situation, based on a single post in a forum, to pronounce a bunch of IT qualified people (yeah, people who actually do this stuff day in and day out) to be a bunch of idiots.
    Well, *I* am an IT qualified person who did this stuff day in and day out for 20+ years [until illness struck], starting back when UNIX servers and terminals were 100% character based. You know, no GUIs. I installed, programmed and administered multi-location UNIX systems and supported the end users. So, yeah, I think I'm qualified to call these morons morons, and it's not just because they're obviously Micro$oft drones. It's because Ubuntu desktops are about as easy to administer as is possible. They're also as easy to use as is possible. My elderly mother needed no instruction--zip, zilch, zero--when I set her new computer up with Kubuntu (after wiping ******* off the drive ) early this year, and she'd never used anything but windows. She's had no problems at all using word processors, e-mail clients, games (lots of games!), image software, etc. HER computer has yet to crash due to tons of software problems--or any OTHER problems. It's only been shut down TWICE since January--last month when we had some electrical work done and the power was on and off all day! So it strikes me as VERY odd that this so-called IT department is inundated with Ubuntu computers wildly crashing day in and day out...
    As for the suggestions that they come here for advice, if you were working with Ubuntu and someone directed you here to find the kind of pathetic bile that has been spewed in this thread would you read on much further?
    I'd say to myself, "hmmmm..., people who actually KNOW Ubuntu think it's easy to use, and that it's much more stable than windows...maybe I should look that last part up...oh, wow, maybe THAT'S why the Internet runs on Linux!" Then I'd start reading, asking questions, and figuring out what I've screwed up to make my Ubuntu boxes so unstable.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Old *ix Geek View Post
    ... So, yeah, I think I'm qualified to call these morons morons, and it's not just because they're obviously Micro$oft drones. It's because Ubuntu desktops are about as easy to administer as is possible. They're also as easy to use as is possible. My elderly mother needed no instruction--zip, zilch, zero--when I set her new computer up with Kubuntu (after wiping ******* off the drive ) early this year, and she'd never used anything but windows....
    That's pretty cool Ubuntu works great for your mom. Did you happen to see the update in post 67?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678