Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu in a large office. . .

Beans

Re: Ubuntu in a large office. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_View View Post
    ... her entire office hates the software due to daily crashes and all sorts of other problems. She said her IT department has said that they have to live with this since they have free software, and unless they decide to "upgrade" to Microsoft then they're out of luck.
    I have a couple of guesses:
    Proprietary video drivers are out dated: I have experienced a version of fglrx where the system would hang for a couple of mins (looked like a system crash.) The next version fixed it though.

Flash issues: Users are playing their online flash games with multiple sites open full of flash ads.

Wine: Users are using apps meant for windows.

SSH: IT guys are having fun making the users freak out.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Old *ix Geek View Post
    This actually made me laugh. It sounds like it came straight from a Microsoft shill.

Her so-called IT department sounds like a bunch of morons. If they have a Ubuntu network so screwed up that its individual users are experiencing daily crashes and other problems, they need to figure out what THEY'RE doing wrong.
    +1. A bad workman blames his tools
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lavinog View Post
    SSH: IT guys are having fun making the users freak out.
    Anyone who would do stuff like that, should be fired. Imediately.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    Anyone who would do stuff like that, should be fired. Imediately.
    Anybody that thinks MS is an upgrade for stabilty should too. Even I, a person that will not let MS products in the house, can see reasons for an office to use MS products.

Being reliable is not one of them.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Not a support thread. Moved to Cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What about Goobuntu.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by FirstByté View Post
    Do you hold facts on these or are these presuppositions? (**No flaming intended though**)

I believe enterprise-centric (and security bugs) related issues are constantly addressed in the Ubuntu LaunchPad

IMO: Critical bugs are often addressed quick. and even those that can be costly in the enterprise domains. Which IT admin would deploy cutting edge release in a Mission-Critical arena in the first 2weeks of release?
    Ok,if not critical(or security related),atleast the bugs relate to common features should be handled by them.
    For eg:
    In Nautilus,when the visible window is full,one cannot right-click and paste new files in the folder..This is a common features that the MS users are used to,but ubuntu team do not care to fix this issue in new versions as well...
    A visit to Launchpad will reveal the number of bugs reported by users,BUT NOT EVEN ANSWERED by developers.If they do not intend to solve those bugs,it should be informed to the users so that any new user should be informed prior to using such version.
    Inability to inform such things leads to situation like this thread.. when the new users starts hating the software..
    Moreover,Ubuntu has this EOL period(iam sure for most users,this is a headache)for every version..Once EOL is over,users has to download and install the latest version,which i think is not suitable at enterprise level..
    Why cant they develop fewer versions and work for making that versions as bug-free as possible...

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lowes Home Improvement uses some kind of minimalistic linux on their systems that isn't very well liked according to a friend of mine that works there. I said I wasn't sure what they were running but it gets better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I believe they have electric power stability problem. Those power surge, spike, brown out, static electricity, etc. can cause the computer to crash or hang. I have tested it out with a automatic voltage regulator and the computer could go on for day without any problem. One example is my computer. I am a die hard fan of AVR. So no blaming the software except if its infected by virus, spware or malware but than Ubuntu do not have any of them.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_View View Post
    [...]
    She said her IT department has said that they have to live with this since they have free software, and unless they decide to "upgrade" to Microsoft then they're out of luck.
    [...]
    One starts to wonder how they [IT guys] came about a copy of Ubuntu without even venturing to 'google' up issues in such a way that might lead them to Ubuntuforums or ubuntu.com itself.

If they had the official CDs something somewhere should at least be pointing to Ubuntuforums or www.ubuntu.com.

There's hope though, this community is all about helping and sharing --Ubuntu Spirit
    "The collection of people, hardware, and software --Internet.
    Let us assume for a moment that such a network has been formed." - J. C. R. Licklider, Robert Taylor, 1968.
    Linux Registered User #511228! Ubuntu Registered User #31414

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast