Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Infraction

  1. #1
    solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Infraction

    I was given an infraction for inappropriate language and harassing the staff. In the post concerned, all I typed was "...?"

    Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not even language - it's punctuation. And the posts before it were very polite. I wasn't - as bodhi.zazen suggested - asking about the accounts of others. I was simply asking for clarification as to why a certain post was closed. I'm trying to understand not only the CoC, but how the staff interprets the CoC so that I don't violate it. Now I find that asking for clarification to avoid breaking the CoC is, in fact, breaking the CoC.

    I don't really care about the infraction, but I guess I am looking for a little consistency. I went over my post in the RC, and there's no possible way at all there was any violation of even polite etiquette, much less the code of conduct.

    Besides, I wasn't demanding details. If a staff member had replied to my RC post and said, "Hey, don't bump this thread anymore" I would have stopped. I wasn't bumping it every fifteen minutes, either. I bumped it the first time after two hours and, realizing that was too much, waited sixteen hours before I asked again - politely, I may add, with zero harassment (or words).

    Am I just being singled out? I'm not sure exactly what the point (or cause) of the infraction was.

    Can you guys clarify?

  2. #2
    solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Infraction

    Also, I'd like this infraction removed. I've had a rough history, I know, but you'll notice my record has been clean for a long time and - let's be honest - I didn't really do anything to deserve this one, did I?

    I'll patiently await your response. Have a great evening, guys.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Beans
    9,213
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Infraction

    I have reversed the infraction as noted in the PM I sent.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

    Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

  4. #4
    solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Infraction

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I have reversed the infraction as noted in the PM I sent.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to look it over.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Infraction

    I do not mind the reversal of the infraction.

    To clarify with you, the resolution center is a place for you to discuss your account on these forum with the administrators.

    It is not a place for you to review the actions of the staff involving the accounts of others nor is is a place for your to review or monitor staff activity.

    You are not a member of the staff and thus you are not privy to these conversations nor is it reasonable for you to expect, let alone post in such a demanding style, us to enter into personal discussion(s) with you regarding staff issues.

    In addition please keep in mind we are all volunteers and bumping a thread is considered rude on these forums, much less multiple bumps within 24 hours.

    My understanding is that you have reached an understanding with matthew.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  6. #6
    solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Infraction

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I do not mind the reversal of the infraction.

    To clarify with you, the resolution center is a place for you to discuss your account on these forum with the administrators.

    It is not a place for you to review the actions of the staff involving the accounts of others nor is is a place for your to review or monitor staff activity.

    You are not a member of the staff and thus you are not privy to these conversations nor is it reasonable for you to expect, let alone post in such a demanding style, us to enter into personal discussion(s) with you regarding staff issues.
    So where do I ask those types of questions? I don't want to beat this issue to death, but I've noticed that the CoC itself and how the staff interprets it are two different things. Thus, in order to be as helpful as possible without breaking any rules, I want to be sure I understand why you guys are doing what you're doing.

    That's not to say you have to justify or explain it, but how hard would it have been to give a general idea? Or to just say, "Hey, we don't discuss that with non-staff" rather than slapping an infraction on my account?

    As for my style, I find it polite and inquisitive, but certainly not demanding. I guess this is one of those times we're just going to have to agree to disagree, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    In addition please keep in mind we are all volunteers and bumping a thread is considered rude on these forums, much less multiple bumps within 24 hours.

    My understanding is that you have reached an understanding with matthew.
    I have. I went to matthew for several reasons, and I'm grateful that he reversed the infraction.

    Anyway, the matter's settled, yes? Have a great day, bodhi.zazen.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Infraction

    Quote Originally Posted by solwic View Post
    So where do I ask those types of questions? I don't want to beat this issue to death, but I've noticed that the CoC itself and how the staff interprets it are two different things. Thus, in order to be as helpful as possible without breaking any rules, I want to be sure I understand why you guys are doing what you're doing.
    When these issues arise, as they do from time to time, we discuss these issues with the staff.

    If you have a question about your account you may ask.

    It is inappropriate for us to discuss the accounts of others with you.

    I do not foresee discussing staff issues with you any time soon, so you are out of luck on that count.

    I have already explained to you why I felt your behavior was demanding so please be patient with the staff and in the future do not bump your threads multiple times within 24 hours.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  8. #8
    solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Infraction

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I do not foresee discussing staff issues with you any time soon, so you are out of luck on that count.
    Don't expect you to, nor do I want you to.

    Although it is strange on a help forum to be told I'm "out of luck" when asking for help clarifying forum rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I have already explained to you why I felt your behavior was demanding so please be patient with the staff and in the future do not bump your threads multiple times within 24 hours.
    Twice in 24 hours, and the second bump was only just inside that mark. But you're right; mea culpa on that point.

    In any case, I think the matter is safely closed. Thank you so much for your time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •