Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How hard is to manage a dedicated server?

Beans

Question How hard is to manage a dedicated server?

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting this unmanaged dedicated server hosting:
    http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ootserver/eq4/

I think of installing ubuntu server on it and use it as:
    - Apache, PHP, MySql server
    - IMAP mail server
    - backup server

Now the big question - how hard is it to manage ubuntu server?

I have a lot of experience as windows network administrator, PHP and MySQL developer, I have some experience with apache on windows.

I was able to succesfully install php and mysql on ubuntu server through ssh. But I have no experience managing mail server. How hard is it to manage such server, so it will be secure enough.

What book would you recommend for this topic?

Thank you in advance for all your answers!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How hard is to manage a dedicated server?

It's quite exhausting trying to get used to the compiling. If you're just relying on apt-get then it shouldn't be that troublesome.

Configuring software and security are another matter... Keeping the firewall up to date, making sure that your mail server works correctly and that no one can abuse it, checking the logs on the a frequent basis., etc.

Beans

Thanks for your reply EarthMind.

Should I be compiling all the sotware? Are there any disadvantages to apt-get.

I don't have much experience with updating software on linux, how hard or complicated can it be?

Beans
    Hidden!

Technically, you don't have to compile anything because apt-get comes with a bunch of ready to use software. But in many cases apt-get isn't sufficient (which is also its disadvantage), such cases can be:

- the officially supported version or outdated or there is none;
    - it's missing customizations you need;
    - you want to compile stuff just for the sake of security/reliability;
    - etc.

If you just need a basic server that hosts your website then apt-get is what you need. However, for maximum control and the best stability and security you'll need to do the dirty work. But if that were the case then you should be using CentOS/Debian (or any commercial Enterprise Linux) instead.

Beans

Thank you so much for your help!

This server would not be used for any high traffic enterprise website, just small websites that I develop.

I did read though that Ubuntu server is not supposed to be any worse than other enterprise servers, it just depends on preferences of a user, but I'm not the one to judge

So Ubuntu server doesn't have any "semi-automatic" utility to provide security updates for operating system?

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually in the recent releases you can configure it to do automatic updates. I've not used that myself since I prefer to handle updates on my own time so I don't know more about it but I suspect you can find more information in the Ubuntu Server documentation.
    Xipher

Beans
    Hidden!

What differentiates Debian and Enterprise Linux distro's - such as CentOS - from Ubuntu is that they thoroughly test their software for stability issues before they make it available. Unfortunately this stability also comes with drawbacks, i.e. that the software repositories have (sometimes very) outdated software, which makes it harder for you to upgrade certain software. Ubuntu also comes with more frequent updates, which I noticed that most people find annoying, especially when they need to reboot or when it breaks stuff. Rebooting can be circumvent with third party software such as ksplice, but updates breaking other software can be a real pain in the ***.

My conclusion: Ubuntu is good enough for small servers and great for development servers but I personally would never use it mission critical servers. My personal choice has always been CentOS and when I need a more up-to-date system I choose Debian.

Beans

Xipher and EarthMind, your information is very valuable to me, thanks.

I am now thinking more in direction of moving to Debian. Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, what really are the biggest differences?
    Is it just about included software packages and basic configuration?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, that and the difference in stability & reliability.

Beans

So I guess there really isn't any reason to stick with ubuntu for such use.
    I am now only deciding what would be easier for me - Debian or CentOS. I do think there is more documentation for Debian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast