Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual monitor Wallpaper

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dual monitor Wallpaper

Seeing same behaviour myself. My "stretched" image displayed just fine across both monitors (1680x1050 each) in KK but now the best I can do in LL is "span" which spans the image across the monitors, but leaves bands at the top and bottom of the display where the image isn't tall enough to fill, vertically.

Oh, and btw, the white on grey color scheme is ugly, ubuntu. I had it looking fine. You really didn't need to change that.

Beans

Choosing "span" seemed to revert back to my old ways with it matching up my custom made large dual screen wallpapers just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone have a workaround for this besides resizing the wallpaper?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mudface View Post
    Anyone have a workaround for this besides resizing the wallpaper?
    gnome , IMO, does not do well with multiple monitors.

Would you consider xfce or kde ? Personally I found xfce works best, although I set 1 BG on each rather then gimp something together (aye you can do it w/ gimp, but I am too lazy).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post

Would you consider xfce or kde ? Personally I found xfce works best, although I set 1 BG on each rather then gimp something together (aye you can do it w/ gimp, but I am too lazy).
    Well... we all know gnome never work well with multiple monitor, but at least it has "one" way that most people wanted. And now they destroy it by decision. As far as I can see. ubuntu can patch it.

And the point is not just go with xfce or kde. they also missing something people love about GNOME. one good little example would be the nice on panel system monitor. it is something simple, but extremely useful. both kde nor xfce have anything that come close to that.

beside, if for someone know how where things located. it should only take them matter of minutes to get this little problem fix. solution already existed. it is up to ubuntu actually take action, and benefit everyone. instead, just let individual user to fix it themselves.

it might sounds funny, but user sometime will give up on an OS, or Desktop, for very simple reason, such as lacking on menu editing, system monitor, or something almost sounds silly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post

Well, it worked perfectly in Karmic but not Lucid..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    frist off what video card are you using?

im runnign a nivida gx250 and have now issues with dual moniters. in 10.
    This has nothing to do with a video card. The op wasn't saying that two monitors is not working but instead that a wallpaper won't span two screens when you select the stretch option. This is a design change in Gnome itself and affects all video cards equally.

By the way, I agree that this is a pain in the but. A weak hack of a solution is to open the image in GIMP and scale it to the correct resolution of your monitor so that it fits properly with the span option but I don't think there is a proper solution yet. Someone mentioned that you can patch it but afaik there is no official patch, this is a third party patch (again, afaik) but even still, you can't expect everyone to patch Gnome.

IMHO, this wasn't a very well thought out design decision from Gnome and the dual monitor scaling should be reverted to how it was before or optionally, instead of span, there should be a check box to span that applies to whichever method you tick i.e. stretch + span, center + span, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well I guess I really didn't notice this as being a problem because I make my own wallpapers. I'm running Ubunto 10.04 64bit with a GeForce GTX 260 drivers NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 195.36.24 and two monitors 1680x1050.

Now here is something for people to think about in this first link I was running openSUSE 11.2 KDE desktop same computer I'm on now KDE Destop openSUSE 11.2 and this second screen shot is the Gnome desktop again same computer Gnome desktop openSUSE 11.2.

Now the question is how could I control 2 different desktop wallpaper one for each monitor?

I dont care any more because I'm using Ubuntu now but just some thing for people to ponder over.

But like I said before I really know this was a problem I just make my own and it's easy and does not take a lot of time.

Here are a couple I have made just for fun. Wallpaper
    I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow. Linux Wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12