Thread: PLEASE HELP! I am unable to enable wireless networking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry PLEASE HELP! I am unable to enable wireless networking

I am currenty accessing this site from my windows xp pc because i cant conect to the net on my ubuntu laptop. i can connect through auto etho, but for some reason wireless networking is disabled. when i right click on the networking icon in the notification area, the box for enable wireless is un-clickable. i dont iknow what i did to screw this up. PLEASE HELP!!! thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PLEASE HELP! I am unable to enable wireless networking

aso on a completly unrelated topic, i have a small question: why doesnt my avitar shiow up to the left of my posts in ubuntuforums like everybody else's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

first things first, click ... um I'm going from memory so don't quote me 100% on this... System, preferences hardware drivers and see if it finds a wireless driver for you... if not then post some system specs about what you have
    I'm not real smart but I can google heavy things...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's your profile picture on the left, when you have your avatar set up right it will be on the right side of the user cp page

Beans

What version of ubuntu are you using. If you are using Lucid, did you upgrade from karmic, or did you do a fresh install?

Does your laptop have a wireless switch or button? after attempting to activate the wireless, type dmesg in a terminal and look at the last couple of messages...sometimes dmesg will give you a hint as to what is going on.

My neighbor's wireless stopped working recently...it turned out that the plastic switch face dislocated from the actual switch....It took us a while to figure that one out.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lavinog View Post
    What version of ubuntu are you using. If you are using Lucid, did you upgrade from karmic, or did you do a fresh install?

Does your laptop have a wireless switch or button? after attempting to activate the wireless, type dmesg in a terminal and look at the last couple of messages...sometimes dmesg will give you a hint as to what is going on.

My neighbor's wireless stopped working recently...it turned out that the plastic switch face dislocated from the actual switch....It took us a while to figure that one out.
    LMAO... I've been there.... Things like that always remind me to check the physical layer first... start at the bottom... good solid points.
    I'm not real smart but I can google heavy things...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

first of all, thanks guys for replying so quicklyit is much appreciated. hopefully i wi figure this out. i am usaing karmic and i did it as a fresh instal. everything worked right "out of the box" so to say from the start. this problem only occured a few mins ago. tried the sys->admin->Hardware Drivers but to no avail. funny but i have never found any thing in there it has always said "no proprietary dfrivers are in use..." ok so my specs.

im using a dell latitude d520 and my internal wireless card is an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 802.11a/g WLAN. its aways worked before. i thing the ast thing i did before it stoppped working was a sudo apt installl for this program to try to undelete files.. ummm i typed dmesg in the terminal. theres a lot of text there. i could email it to myself and copy and paste it into here if u think i should. i think im just going to do a new fresh install of karmic and start from scratch again. this was my first time with linux and i think i know what i want to do again and what i dont want to do again with my comp this time. the ony thing is i reay dont want to lose my files from the home folder like music and vids and pics and stuff. is there a way i can keep that stuff while doing a fresh install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

also if i do a fresh installl which version should i do? im reallly used to karmic but do u think its worth the jump to 10.04 yet? also i just made an 8.04 iso disk because it says its a long term releaase which i thought mught be better. any thoughts about that stuff? also thanks you guys are realy coo for helping a newb out like this. can i add u guys to my ubuntuforums buddy list or whatever?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

oh and byw if you dont mind could u tell me or link me to a page that tells me how to get an avitar on here? thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by robot_chicken_parm View Post
    oh and byw if you dont mind could u tell me or link me to a page that tells me how to get an avitar on here? thanks in advance
    Fo your Avatar problem

Regarding the Wi-Fi does your laptop have a function button or a switch where you've turn the Wi-Fi on. If there is one check that to so if it's on.
    Make Google your friend
    Please Mark threads as solved when they have been answered