Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/info.php?id=12&
    http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/info.php?id=bandits

This one has been in the works for some time. Anyone have an idea when it will be released? Or bandits for that matter?

For that matter, does anyone know what LGP's current working status is?

Their cryptic release model, coupled with their unreliable release times, makes for a very frustrating gamer.

Beans

Re: LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

Oh boy....

Your not the only one who gets stupidly frustrated at LGP. Bandits is another game that has been in "early beta" for as long as i knew it existed.

I really struggle to understand why LGP keeps everyone in the dark about their ports. It makes actual business sense to announce them to get people interested, to get the community worked up over, it will bring more people to LGP and could easily generate interest in older games too, seriously LGP needs to get their act together if they are to survive as a business.

I mean there's not even teaser screen shots, no updates other than "we are working on them at the moment", great well a little screen shot won't hurt, we are not the only ones either, the LGP blog is full of them, I've called them out on it a few times and they cant seem to give me a straight answer other than the usual "we are working on it", I've seen multiple posts from multiple people on this forum too asking about it and we seem to get left in the dark.

I mean it's not like they are creating a new game, they are "simply" porting it to Linux. Please note the quote marks before a certain someone jumps on me saying it isn't an easy task, i know it isn't always easy but god a few years for one port from a business who's business it is to port...something's up.

Beans
    Distro

I think that coupled with what they choose to actually port is at heart of the issue.

Bandits is over 8 years old. So is Disciples 2.

Cold War, one of LGP's other releases is actuall newer than both Bandits and Disciples, and it was ported relatively quickly. I dont know what kind of a porter Simms is, but Timothee Besset and Ryan Gordon both appear to be quite a bit more successful that Simms himself is.

I find a statement of question in LGP tactic, thus my obvious frustration.

Their hush hush tactics are total dreck, and honestly it makes them come across as a distrustful entity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I especially don't like how they post up the price of the game... It feels kind of shady that way, though they will indeed need to charge however-much-28-pounds-is-in-dollars and sell a whole truckload to cover the near-decade development costs.

Beans
    Distro

I wouldnt say they are shady in dealing rfry, just ambiguous. Plus their choices for titles to port is rather strange to me.

Beans

They have explained their pricing before although i can't remember where.

It boils down to LGP basically saying it is a new game to the Linux platform, therefore it warrants a higher price.

Personally i think that is insane.

Shadowgrounds for £10 is the only one that has a decent price tag.

Edit here is the post:
    http://blog.linuxgamepublishing.com/...hat-they-cost/

A very flawed post, a few bits i would like to point out.

For example, our newest three games have been priced with X3 at £30, Jets’n'Guns at £15, and Sacred Gold at £27. Compare this to 3 new releases for Windows, Sims 3 at £40, Spore’s expansion at £20, and Street Fighter IV and £30. The prices are comparable.
    This got me a bit. The backwards thinking is just so amusing it hurts.

Sacred Gold (a very old game) released at £27 being compared with a brand new game to any platform Street Fighter IV at £30 (that said i do own Sacred Gold by LGP as it is one of the few games actually worth getting at all).

I fail to see how that makes their pricing comparable at all?

The other is, the price reflects what it costs us to make it.
    Well if they don't sit on their thumbs so to speak for years at a time with certain ports...their own costs won't be so high!

It was also ended on this note:
    If you want more games for your OS, then you need to buy the ones that are available. If you just want cheaper, then buy for Windows, but don’t complain when there arent enough games for Linux.
    The recently Humble Bundle shows that cheaper != less money, just some food for thought. They basically mean if you want LGP to "port" more games, then you should buy all of theirs that are available or else we cannot complain there aren't enough (if you think carefully that is basically what he is saying).

This is not intended to be a constant bash at them, before someone jumps on me about it i do own an LGP game as a pointed out, i am trying to figure out why they still claim the prices are reasonable, claim they are porting and be silent for years etc etc.
    Last edited by ELD; May 8th, 2010 at 04:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok really ELD, you know Bandits is never going to happen. Here is why.

http://web.archive.org/web/200302120...nfo.php?id=14&

There is the Info page for Bandits back from 2003.

We are 7 years ahead of that.

LGP's tactics are dreck. Promising games and never delivering, or delivering on a scale thats unreliable or drawn out.

Beans

Longer than i thought, that's terrible, i wouldn't be surprised if they never did another port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I more hope for Sacred 2 port - it's much better than sacred 1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    I more hope for Sacred 2 port - it's much better than sacred 1.
    I wouldn't hold your breathe on that one mate.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast