Thread: virtualbox beta 3.2.0 & ZTE 4g USB modem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy virtualbox beta 3.2.0 & ZTE 4g USB modem

please can someone shed some light for me .

I have done a upgrade to 10.4 lucid , and i wanted to get away from dualboot , XP is used ONLY to use the ZTE tu25 4g usb modem ..so i am trying virtualbox , i had to get beta 3.2.0 as it has USB support ..

Firstly please note ubuntu sees the modem -

rowan-laptop kernel: [25210.452109] usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 35
    May 7 22:51:47 rowan-laptop kernel: [25210.585234] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    May 7 22:51:47 rowan-laptop kernel: [25210.585491] option 2-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    May 7 22:51:47 rowan-laptop kernel: [25210.585670] usb 2-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0

but does nothing with it !!

config in virtualbox sees the ZTE modem adds the filter and everything
    but when in the virtualbox and i run the ZTE modem software it says no device , in the top of VB under usb the ZTE modem is seen but it's greyed out .

in groups i am a member of vboxusers ..

I am now stumped ...

i have just got a new HDD so i am gonna do a fresh 10.4 install and get back to virtualbox etc then see from there but PLEASE if you have any input please let me know .

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: virtualbox beta 3.2.0 & ZTE 4g USB modem

am not sure if someone has had a similar problem, but you can also try the virtualbox site and see if you can find any info regarding

also ubuntu guide is constantly updated with new info and problem solving howtos

http://ubuntuguide.org
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

well i have done a fresh 10.4 install , a fresh virtualbox 3.2.0 beta , and it's still doing the same .
    I can see any other usb device , no problem , but this frigging modem is driving me around the wall , the virtualbox sees the modem , but it's greyed out ..
    i have now read everything in the ubuntu guide and virtualbox docs , and i have googled and read the virtualbox forum ... i am now well and trully stumped .

Any advice is welcome ..

Beans
    Distro

solved , a guy in the VB forums told me to :
    sudo hald
    sudo VirtualBox
    and hey presto it worked , i had been launching VB without the sudo command ..
    Last edited by Rowanmf; May 10th, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: solved