Thread: Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless connected but no internet connection

Beans

Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless connected but no internet connection

I apologize: I am closing this thread and ask this question in the "Network and Wireless" area. As for the installation of 10.04 - wonderful. However, my problem is not an installation problem.

Ubuntu 10.04 - Fresh install on machine with no previous OS
    ***btw - it was a beautiful install experience.

I have a Linksys WUSB54GC little plug in thing that is in one of the USB ports

At the top of the screen it says that the computer is connected to the network genevapubliclibrary 100%

But when I access firefox, there is no internet connection. I checked the Preferences, Advanced, Network tab, Connection and the Settings button. It is set to "No Proxy". This is the same setting as our library laptop - also wireless - in firefox but using vista.

If this has been addressed elsewhere, I apologize. I tried looking for linksys wusb54gc but no one had this problem.

thank you in advance.
    Last edited by marianlibrarian; May 7th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!
    Have an open mind. Your brain will not fall out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless connected but no internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by marianlibrarian View Post
    At the top of the screen it says that the computer is connected to the network genevapubliclibrary 100%

But when I access firefox, there is no internet connection.
    Interesting. I get this same problem with my WUSB600N and not with my WUSB54GC. What's weird is that I can ping www.google.com, but when I do a wget http://www.google.com/, it says it's connected, but hangs on awaiting a response.

Don't know what's up with this.
    while(e) {
    coyote();
    }

Beans

Well maybe I am not as connected to the network as I thought. Our printer is a network printer HP LaserJet 6P. I set it up and no errors. I asked it to print a test page but no page ever printed.

If I am posting this in the wrong place please let me know. thank you
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!

Beans

This computer that I am trying to set up is in our children's library room. The room has only one electrical outlet and no network wires have ever been dropped in the room. I have been using the library laptop to do whatever work needed to be done. I have been hoping for the past few years that we could have a computer permanently in this room that will provide access to our online catalog. My summer reading program starts in about a month, and it sure would be nice to have this computer up and running by then.

thanks for your help.

I have been searching while waiting. I found some info about linksys. It takes me to several sites and I ended up on soruceforge.net linksys wusb54gc. But I am not sure what it means or wants me to do .... I have not found any other instructions.