Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell Testing

Beans

Re: GNOME Shell Testing

Silly question, but why are you posting those queries in a thread devoted to GNOME Shell?
    I wanted to have a look to see how far Gnome-Shell had progressed
    so I added the PPA as required to test it out.

I used option 2 at the beginning of this thread to try to load Gnome-Shell up to see how it looked - that was the result so I posted it.

The result of a clean and clear desktop was what I got ...... so I posted what I saw with comments relating to it ....
    ( What I saw was as a nice setup - I thought initially that the direction of Gnome-Shell had changed .... also I liked the idea of the availability of a clean Desktop in a PPA )

Since I posted it - this is the second response .... why do you think I asked the questions I asked ..... has it been cleared out till after the MM release ..... are compiz effects going to be added to Mutter ...... they are questions relating to what is happened and what I could see after adding the Ricotz PPA ......

Since my post numerous users have started to get interested in Gnome-Shell again ......

There was not a post for 2 days before I posted and the posts before I began were not related to Gnome-Shell until Merk brought it back on track ...... but if you want to pick the odd one line of text out of what I write and do not answer the questions ........
    what am I to make of it ....

Neither of the questions have been answered yet .... but I guess I should just now start to assume things - as nothing is clear on here .

Here is another question that may not get answered ..... where is the efficiency ?
    I was using Alt+F2 when I began with Linux many moons ago .....

What is the quick and efficient way to start an application up now ...... is it ALT+F2 .... ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 9th, 2010 at 04:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I wanted to have a look to see how far Gnome-Shell had progressed
    so I added the PPA as required to test it out.

I used option 2 at the beginning of this thread to try to load Gnome-Shell up to see how it looked - that was the result so I posted it.

The result of a clean and clear desktop was what I got ...... so I posted what I saw with comments relating to it ....
    ( What I saw was as a nice setup - I thought initially that the direction of Gnome-Shell had changed .... also I liked the idea of the availability of a clean Desktop in a PPA )

Since I posted it - this is the second response .... why do you think I asked the questions I asked ..... has it been cleared out till after the MM release ..... are compiz effects going to be added to Mutter ...... they are questions relating to what is happened and what I could see after adding the Ricotz PPA ......

Since my post numerous users have started to get interested in Gnome-Shell again ......

There was not a post for 2 days before I posted and the posts before I began were not related to Gnome-Shell until Merk brought it back on track ...... but if you want to pick the odd one line of text out of what I write and do not answer the questions ........
    what am I to make of it ....

Neither of the questions have been answered yet .... but I guess I should just now start to assume things - as nothing is clear on here .

Here is another question that may not get answered ..... where is the efficiency ?
    I was using Alt+F2 when I began with Linux many moons ago .....

What is the quick and efficient way to start an application up now ...... is it ALT+F2 .... ?
    just click on the Keyboard the "Windows Icon" that will open up the Shell thing(on which you will be directly typing for the search - which is used to search for the app you wish to open/use)... now I have no clue what would be for as in run commands, it must be another keyboard clicking combination
    Last edited by sendblink23; October 9th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans

compiling gnome-shell fails for me with this error:

Code:
    checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
    checking for js-config... no
    checking for JS... yes
    checking for JS_CallTracer in -lmozjs... no
    configure: error: SpiderMonkey is too old, Firefox 3 is required
    *** Fehler während Phase configure von gjs: ########## Fehler beim  Ausführen von ./autogen.sh --prefix /home/costin/gnome-shell/install  --libdir '/home/costin/gnome-shell/install/lib64'  --disable-static  --disable-gtk-doc  *** [15/23]
    i have either firefox 3 (namarok) as well as ff 4 latest beta from ppa. i also have xulrunner-1.9.2-dev installed which is the newest as far as i know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    Anyone got an idea or could point me to a resource about when they are planning to start implementing the new design? Last time I had a peak at the mailing lists I couldn't find anything about it. And from the commit log it doesn't appear like the have started at all, except for the universal access applet.
    The initial commit is in the overview-relayout branch in git now.
    Last edited by 23meg; October 9th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mgunes View Post
    The initial commit is in the overview-relayout branch in git now.
    Thanks for the heads up, just discovered it as well. Now on to getting it compiled. For those interested there is a blog post on planet GNOME that shows the progress made so far:

Current

Target

Source: http://blogs.gnome.org/fmuellner/201...land-of-shell/
    Last edited by bash; October 9th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

What files and folders do I need to turn this into a .deb? Do I just need the stuff in the ~/gnome-shell/install folder? And should the 'include' and 'share' folders go into /usr?
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans

how to build from the overview-relayout branch?

Beans
    Distro

for an interesting effect try running gnome-shell from a Lubuntu session . You get gnome-shell AND the Lubuntu DT complete with bottom pannel . see SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronacc; October 9th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

gtk3 failing to build

Code:
    linking of temporary binary failed: Command '['/bin/bash', '../libtool', '--mode=link', '--tag=CC', '--silent', 'gcc', '-o', '/home/eric/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk/tmp-introspectXxfNfl/Gtk-3.0', '-export-dynamic', '-L.', '-L/home/eric/gnome-shell/install/lib', 'libgtk-x11-3.0.la', '-pthread', '-L/home/eric/gnome-shell/install/lib', '-lgio-2.0', '-lgobject-2.0', '-lgmodule-2.0', '-lgthread-2.0', '-lrt', '-lglib-2.0', '/home/eric/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk/tmp-introspectXxfNfl/Gtk-3.0.o']' returned non-zero exit status 1
    make[4]: *** [Gtk-3.0.gir] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/gnome-shell/source/gtk3/gtk'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/gnome-shell/source/gtk3'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    *** Error during phase build of gtk3: ########## Error running make   *** [8/23]

[1] Rerun phase build
      [2] Ignore error and continue to install
      [3] Give up on module
      [4] Start shell
      [5] Reload configuration
      [6] Go to phase "wipe directory and start over"
      [7] Go to phase "configure"
      [8] Go to phase "clean"
      [9] Go to phase "distclean"
    choice:

Beans
    Distro

On a fresh build (in Ubuntu 10.04 amd64), everything compiles correctly up until gnome-shell:

Code:
    CCLD   libgnome-shell.la
      CC     test_theme-test-theme.o
      CCLD   test-theme
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_new_bytestring_array'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_value_set_variant'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_new_bytestring'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_param_spec_variant'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_main_context_invoke'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libclutter-glx-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_object_class_install_properties'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_is_floating'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_dcgettext'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_value_get_variant'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_error_get_type'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libclutter-glx-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_object_notify_by_pspec'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__VARIANT'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libclutter-glx-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_source_set_name'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_value_dup_variant'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_compare'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_get_bytestring'
    /home/maomao/gnome-shell/install/lib64/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_value_take_variant'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[3]: *** [test-theme] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/maomao/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/maomao/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/maomao/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    *** Error during phase build of gnome-shell: ########## Error running make   *** [22/23]
    It seems like gnome-shell is having problems linking to GTK 3?
    Laptop broke ...

Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast