Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell Testing

Beans

Re: GNOME Shell Testing

I have not been able to get Gnome3 running since the Safe-Upgrade yesterday -
    I have had it running in the past though and it looked quite good.

The desktop Mutter is great for me ..... have added Cairo Dock and it gives it a really clean professional feel ..... and can choose all the 4 desktops and run most programs.

Ksnapshot would not work from the Gmenu ..... but runs fine from a terminal window, dragged and dropped the icon in that works in Gnome Desktop ..... but when switching here it stops working ......

Here is the way it looks if you can ignore the terminal window ..... it has a E17 feel to it.

I like this Desktop the way it is and it will now stay like this on my computer ......
    ( To log out and use another desktop if you set it up this way - use the middle mouse button on the red exit off switch - took some finding so thought I would mention it here - for those that do not know about it )

I followed this ..... to try to set up Gnome3 (Gnome-shell) but its not working yet the screen goes completely white as it goes in .... which is odd ..... similar to what compiz would do when it was not going to work in the early days .........

Ok got it running after adding the dependencies at the beginning of this thread

aptitude install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xserver-xephyr xulrunner-dev python-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential

Gnome 3

Will start testing it now .... ksnapshot works from the find option now in Activities ......

(Was going to use Gtk-recordmydesktop to make a video of it ...... but the top menu bar disappears when going into record mode ..... also the ogv files are turning into garbage on You-Tube and in Openshot ..... seems to be the file format works ok in VLC though bizarre ? has it changed ? used to be able to put my tutorials staight into You-Tube what's happened here then ?
    go down to the bottom of the link page if you want to see the results ....)

Here is the raw OGV file its 9 Meg if anybody wants to check it out .........

Wow just had 70 degrees on the thermal reading for the Graphics Card ....... usually runs around 56 - 58 ....... dropped back
    into normal Gnome and already its dropped 3-4 degrees ....... might be that I was running video ..... but its the highest
    I have ever seen on this computer ...... the battery feels hot too ...... but not sure how to check the thermal reading for that though ....... will turn it all
    off for time being ......... and try again tomorrow or tonight with this computer ..... it is an extremely hot day here .......

The feel of Gnome 3 could grow on me ..... very organised and easy to use ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 9th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Beans

Go to the... lace of lost voices.... ther.. great power... find what you seek.

If it is a very hot day I advise you store your battery somewhere room temperature. It is not good for a battery to be in 90f temperatures. I do not think Gnome Shell should cause much overhead if it is not constanly animating, because that should be done by the graphics card. What chip do you have?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    Well---It's a "wait & see"---2 errors in the final build (gnome-shell) with a non-run.....Looks like I need to trash my current install & totally start from scratch again....Or they have not updated the gnome-shell builds....

Run trace looks like this:

dean@linux:~/gnome-shell/install/bin$ ./gnome-shell --replaceGtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Window manager warning: Workarounds for broken applications disabled. Some applications may not behave properly.
    JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded
    JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!! fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!! stack = 'Error("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded")@:0
    ("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded")@gjs_throw:0
    @/home/dean/gnome-shell/install/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:18
    '
    JS ERROR: !!! message = 'Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded'
    JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded
    JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!! fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!! stack = 'Error("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded")@:0
    ("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded")@gjs_throw:0
    @/home/dean/gnome-shell/install/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:18
    Error("Chained exception")@:0
    ("Chained exception")@gjs_throw:0
    @<main>:1
    '
    JS ERROR: !!! message = 'Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded'
    Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded
    /home/dean/.themes/MurrinaLoveGray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:50: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
    Window manager warning: Workarounds for broken applications disabled. Some applications may not behave properly.
    From what I see, there is a check for gtk 2.0 but 3.0 is there instead. Just change the check. It should be on or at least referenced on line 18 of /home/dean/gnome-shell/install/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js. It should run after that or at least give some more interesting errors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Go to the... lace of lost voices.... ther.. great power... find what you seek.

If it is a very hot day I advise you store your battery somewhere room temperature. It is not good for a battery to be in 90f temperatures. I do not think Gnome Shell should cause much overhead if it is not constanly animating, because that should be done by the graphics card. What chip do you have?

Cheers .....

I have just had a good read up on the batteries ....

I think I will take it out ....... the computer is dual core 2.1 ghz .... and when doing nothing was 70% on both processors ,,,,,, its having a rest now as it went back up to 70 again in Gnome3 ..... it drops at least 5 degrees when I return to Gnome ...... am constantly aware of the problems with the graphics drivers from the last overheating of Graphics Cards ..... the battery is another thing ..... but its not that far away from the Graphics card ........

I have just upgraded and noticed at first a drop in temps on the 9300 Nvidia Graphics Card ....... after the upgrade ,,,,,,,,,,

I have a Desktop and running the same latest Nvidia driver that is low at 46 degrees a big difference,

Will try again later its getting dark here now and the temps do drop .........

I am on a different laptop at the moment so I cannot give a great deal of information yet .........

Here is the link showing the Thermal at 69 degrees .

http://sites.google.com/site/keithaerospace92/mylinks
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 9th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread is drifting away from gnome-shell testing, please start new threads for anything not pertaining to gnome-shell.

Beans

I have been only running and using gnome3 ..... for 5 hours today after the latest upgrades .....
    My main applications used today were Blender Wings3d and Firefox it dropped out of Firefox once for some strange reason then auto resumed
    (will check and see if it was recorded in the logs).
    The GPU is at 61 degrees ..... even though its exceptionally hot here again but this Temp 61 is ok now using gnome3.

This is all I can see a Seg Fault by Mutter ..... but I do not understand it ...... this info was taken from the Syslog

Jul 10 16:05:00 keith-laptop kernel: [ 6231.761940] mutter[1936]: segfault at fe8f8f8f ip 00a13a19 sp bfc0af70 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.2510.0[9b9000+c9000]
    Jul 10 16:09:01 keith-laptop CRON[5874]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
    Jul 10 16:17:01 keith-laptop CRON[5939]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Jul 10 16:39:01 keith-laptop CRON[6146]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
    Jul 10 16:39:39 keith-laptop kernel: [ 8310.653070] CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 11250 nsec
    Jul 10 16:45:11 keith-laptop kernel: [ 8643.153082] CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 16875 nsec
    Jul 10 17:09:01 keith-laptop CRON[6465]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
    Jul 10 17:17:01 keith-laptop CRON[6542]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

The version of Maverick I am running here is a Upgrade from Lucid Lynx 10.04 to 10.10 ..........
    keith@keith-laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux keith-laptop 2.6.35-6-generic #9-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 30 23:09:46 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

(Once I work out how to upgrade the Kernel without the automatic Grub Update destroying my menu System -

Its sorted ...... LOVE it MAVERICK ROCKS .. >>>>>>

The Grub update works on Aptitude Safe-Upgrade without getting rid of my menu now .........

My menu system is still at 1440x900 and my nice background to the menu that I have set up is still there - great.

keith@keith-laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux keith-laptop 2.6.35-7-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 9 21:09:19 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    keith@keith-laptop:~$
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 10th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just removed gnome-shell folder in my home and started jhbuild from nothing.
    The compilation got stuck at step 20/21 and gave this error,

Code:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/tian/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
      CCLD   test-theme
    /home/tian/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_new_bytestring_array'
    /home/tian/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_new_bytestring'
    /home/tian/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_get_bytestring'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Does anybody have this problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hangman View Post
    I just removed gnome-shell folder in my home and started jhbuild from nothing.
    The compilation got stuck at step 20/21 and gave this error,

Code:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/tian/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src'
      CCLD   test-theme
    /home/tian/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgtk-x11-3.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_new_bytestring_array'
    /home/tian/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_new_bytestring'
    /home/tian/gnome-shell/install/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_variant_get_bytestring'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Does anybody have this problem?
    Looks like you need glib newer than this commit 3 days ago where g_variant_new_bytestring_array is introduced:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/com...a866c6d0ab7ef2

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
    Looks like you need glib newer than this commit 3 days ago where g_variant_new_bytestring_array is introduced:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/com...a866c6d0ab7ef2
    I'm sorry but I have no idea how to get a newer glib.
    Do you have an instruction on that?

Beans

Hey guys, I added the PPA to my repos, did a apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade, installed gnome-shell and did the old gnome-shell --replace

My terminal threw this back at me...

Code:
    Starting dconf-service...  
    Failed to start /usr/lib/gnome-shell/dconf-service: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    any ideas here?
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast