Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ralink RT2860 WiFi chipset (e.g. EeeBox B202)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ralink RT2860 WiFi chipset (e.g. EeeBox B202)

Am sorry to report that it did not work for me. It repeatedly asks for the WPA password. I use AES encryption.

Anyway I am trying to install as above with the mainline kernel linux-image-2.6.33-02063303-generic_2.6.33-02063303_i386.deb as this does not have the wireless module at all.

Update: No luck, didn't work
    Last edited by nucleuskore; May 13th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Am using the card with the windows driver. See here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9289963

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sven6210 View Post

Step 6
    Rename the old rt2860sta.ko driver file to rt2860sta.ko.dist using:

sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/rt2860sta.ko rt2860sta.ko.dist

Attention: you need to replace the * with the actual directory name of your kernel, please check the folder name with Nautilus.
    I was following the directions up until here but now I'm stumped. How do I know what the directory name of my kernel is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BothWayz View Post
    I was following the directions up until here but now I'm stumped. How do I know what the directory name of my kernel is?
    In order to identify the name of the directory where your kernel is open Nautilus and move to the root directory. Then go to the folder "lib" and then the folder "modules". In this folder you will see one or several folders starting with "2.6.". The one with the highest number (the latest kernel) is the right one. use the whole folder name as shown and replace the "2.6.*" with it.

I hope this helps you. If you are still struggling please let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sven6210 View Post
    In order to identify the name of the directory where your kernel is open Nautilus and move to the root directory. Then go to the folder "lib" and then the folder "modules". In this folder you will see one or several folders starting with "2.6.". The one with the highest number (the latest kernel) is the right one. use the whole folder name as shown and replace the "2.6.*" with it.

I hope this helps you. If you are still struggling please let me know.
    Sven, please explain me - as above - what to put where it said

cd 2010* (?????)

What is needed to put after 2010 instead of "*"?? This was in a previous page.

Thank you.

Do we have any folder called 2010 ??

Beans

Basically when you type in the root terminal
    Code:
    mv /lib/modules/2.6.
    instead of typing the * (asterisk) hit the TAB button twice. It will then show all the existing directories starting with 2.6.
    You should choose the one that matches with your currently running system (you can understand this by checking the output of command
    Code:
    uname -r
    ) 99% of the times the one you should choose is the highest number.
    Nobody was born with linux knowledge!
    Here's my experience with Ubuntu linux on laptops: http://linux.aldeby.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All right, step by step how to identify the name of the directory:

1. Open a terminal window
    2. Enter: cd /lib/modules/
    3. Enter: ls

Now you will see all the available directories with kernels. They start with "
    2.6.". Look for the name of the directory with the latest kernel (highest number) and not the whole name of the directory.

Under step 6 of the manual you replace the "
    2.6.*" with the name of the directory you just identified.

Hope it works this time

Sven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Sven

Earlier you said not to thank you as others had done the hard work. What you have done is provide a pretty straight forward way of steps to follow that a Linux newbie such as myself can follow and for that I do thank you.

For those reading, I have an Asus EEE PC 1000H running Eeebuntu V3 with the 10.04 update. Following the steps that Sven provided it worked first time.

Now it would be great for the fix to be in the Linux Kernel, but that is a separate question and it should be pretty easy to save the RT2860 file somewhere and after an upgrade, just have a script to place it back in the Kernel

As a question, is it possible to save the file somewhere that is independent of the Kernel and then specify that in Step 10 in the /etc/modules file? In this way, if the Kernel is ever changed, it would still start the file.

Thanks, NigelLH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi all,

To all those this method doesn't work, please, note that rt2860 standard driver from 2.6.32 kernel, DOES work out-of-the-box with WEP security.

I'm a little bit afraid to change to new driver, but I'll do it when I get a couple of free hours.

Unfortunately my router has only WPA with "TKIP or AES" option, and therefore I had several problems in the past with my medion akoya mini.

I'll keep informing of my updates...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I understand the concern, the trouble with solving it locally on the wireless access point is that the solution will only work with that access point. By solving the solution on the computer, WPA is no longer an issue where ever you try to connect.

As a Linux newbie (I installed it on Sunday!) I decided that by trying the fix, if things went wrong, it was not to big a deal to reinstall it.

One advantage is that having the /home directory as a separate partition means that re-installing Linux doesn't overwrite it and you can specify it in the installation process.

I hope all goes well when you try it!

NigelLH

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast