Thread: Black screen using alternate cd on hp compaq 6710b (INTEL Mobile GM965/960)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Black screen using alternate cd on hp compaq 6710b (INTEL Mobile GM965/960)

When trying to install Lucid on my HP Compaq 6710b (INTEL Mobile GM965/960 graphic controller) using the alternate i386cd with an usb pen i (re-)experiencing (known from the Jaunty installation) the following problem:
    • Boot from USB (works)
    • Select language (works)
    • Choose to install ubuntu (works)
    • Removing quit from the boot options, hit enter, see some output (works)
    • Starting the installation interface (fail)
    The screen wents to black, but system seems not froozen. What i've tried to fix this issue:
    • fb=false as bootoption (worked in jaunty, does not work with lucid)
    • frambuffer=false
    • fb=off
    • debian-installer/framebuffer=false
    • vga=123, tried all of the offered modes
    • vga=771 (get some screwed up output on the screen, which i guess from that the system/machine is not frozen)
    • i915.modeset=1
    • i915.modeset=0
    • xforcevesa etc
    Anyone managed to install Lucids with INTEL graphics + the alternate cd?

PS: I need the alternate cd to setup an encrypted system.
    PPS: Just tested the desktop i386 image which works flawlessly.
    Last edited by tim__b; May 7th, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Black screen using alternate cd on hp compaq 6710b (INTEL Mobile GM965/960)

the same problem there with just the same HP 6710b. Also tried all this options and most of their combinations. No luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Try removing "splash" from the boot options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Catharsis, thanks for your help. Forgot to mention that I removed splash as well as quite without luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Have you tried booting into Recovery Mode? If "boot normally" doesn't work, you can try "failsafeX".

Also, don't know if it's pertinent, but since you mentioned encrypted drives:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/rele...n%20/etc/fstab

Beans
    Hidden!

Ran into this as well, but it worked *before* installing a desktop environment. Strangely though it was blank until I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F1, F2, F3, etc. (F7?).

After desktop install the blank screen would not go away except when booting into recovery.

Apparently this may not be limited to Ubuntu: http://www.linlap.com/hp-compaq_6710b . Though it is odd that the Desktop install works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.