Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Questions Before Installing Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some Questions Before Installing Ubuntu

ok i am about to install Ubuntu 10.04 with STANDARD dual boot set-up (No Wubi, No Virtual Machine). Existing OS being Windows 7. But some questions need to be answered before this.

I have existing 5 partitions.
    C: 32GB NTFS (Primary)
    D: 32GB NTFS (Logical)
    E: 32GB NTFS (Logical)
    F: 32GB NTFS (Logical)
    G: 21GB NTFS (Primary)

I am windows expert but absolute beginner when it come to Linux. So far i have installed ubuntu only once on virtual machine, just a couple of weeks ago.

My plan is to install ubuntu on G partitions (if my guess is correct, it would be sda4 during ubuntu installation). I will install root, home and swap all by dividing G partition. And I prefer manual partitioning over all other options.

My questions are:
    1. Is it necessary for ubuntu to be installed on a primary partition?

2. Is 21GB space enough for ubuntu 10.04? Will it effect ubuntu's running speed and performance? (Since My primary OS will still be Windows because other family members who are extreme novice will be using my computer for watching youtube videos. So i am forced to install ubuntu on as less space as possible.)

3. Should I still defragment all the partitions, even if the partition i am going to install ubuntu on is totally empty? (personally i don't see any need for doing so)

4. Should I still shrink one of the partitions? (personally i don't see any need for doing so)

5. I want F: partition to be accessible from both Operating Systems. So should I format it with fat32? Or NTFS still has advantage in this scenario? (i already know fat32 is not a journaling FS. But for a couple of reasons i want to format F: with FAT32)

6: If I format F: with FAT32, is it necessary to format it from ubuntu installer or window disk management? Can't I format it from anywhere i prefer? (I want F to be accessible from both OS BY DEFAULT. I don't want to install some other program to handle this issue)

7. Is Lucid Lynx's manual partitioning same as that of Karmic Koala? (All the videos that i watched to understand manual partitioning were about karmic koala, so it might be difficult for me to install Lucid Lynx if its manual partitioning is any different from karmic koala.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Some Questions Before Installing Ubuntu

Have Lucid installed on an 8GB SSD, so you should be OK with your G partition.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SKhan View Post
    No. A logical partition is fine.

2. Is 21GB space enough for ubuntu 10.04? Will it effect ubuntu's running speed and performance? (Since My primary OS will still be Windows because other family members who are extreme novice will be using my computer for watching youtube videos. So i am forced to install ubuntu on as less space as possible.)
    20+GB is plenty. The default installation only takes about 3.5GB.

3. Should I still defragment all the partitions, even if the partition i am going to install ubuntu on is totally empty? (personally i don't see any need for doing so)
    No.

4. Should I still shrink one of the partitions? (personally i don't see any need for doing so)
    No, since you seem to have the space ready for Ubuntu. Right?

5. I want F: partition to be accessible from both Operating Systems. So should I format it with fat32? Or NTFS still has advantage in this scenario? (i already know fat32 is not a journaling FS. But for a couple of reasons i want to format F: with FAT32)
    Both FAT32 and NTFS should be fine. One other disadvantage of fat32 is the 4GB file size limit.

6: If I format F: with FAT32, is it necessary to format it from ubuntu installer or window disk management? Can't I format it from anywhere i prefer? (I want F to be accessible from both OS BY DEFAULT. I don't want to install some other program to handle this issue)
    Format however you want, it doesn't matter.

7. Is Lucid Lynx's manual partitioning same as that of Karmic Koala? (All the videos that i watched to understand manual partitioning were about karmic koala, so it might be difficult for me to install Lucid Lynx if its manual partitioning is any different from karmic koala.)
    Yes, it is the same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ok i am about to install Ubuntu 10.04 with STANDARD dual boot set-up (No Wubi, No Virtual Machine). Existing OS being Windows 7. But some questions need to be answered before this.

I am windows expert but absolute beginner when it come to Linux. So far i have installed ubuntu only once on virtual machine, just a couple of weeks ago.

My plan is to install ubuntu on G partitions (if my guess is correct, it would be sda4 during ubuntu installation). I will install root, home and swap all by dividing G partition. And I prefer manual partitioning over all other options.

My questions are:
    no. just delete G: and tell ubuntu to install on largest block of free space when you get to the partitioning stage.
    It won't affect performance in the least, unless you run out of disk space
    nope
    nope
    NTFS works fine.
    see above
    Also see above (#1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My questions are:
    I don`t think so but I have never tried.

I use between 6 and 7 gigs for Ubuntu

You don`t need to.

What for?

Ubuntu will read both quite happily although linux file permissions wiil not work.

I suppose so.

They are the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1:
    No - Ubuntu can happily live completely on logical partitions

2:
    Yes - I advise at least 4G for /, maybe 2G for swap, and the rest for /home. Actually, I have two partitions for /, and alternate between them as I install the next version. That way, if an install has problems, the last version is still there.

3:
    No need at all.

4:
    No need to shrink other partitions, 21G is enough to start trying Ubuntu. Just delete G and then create the other partitions you want.

5:
    Ubuntu can read/write NTFS just fine, so no need to re-format F.

6:
    Mooted by 5. However if you did re-format it, either OS could do the job.

7:
    They are the same - I don't remember any difference.

Make sure you have backups before starting. Mistakes during partitioning can lead to disappointment. You will have to use the live CD or installer CD to create the Ubuntu partitions because Windows can't make ext3/ext4 or linux swap partitions.

Come to think of it, although the installer partitioner hasn't changed, I think the partitioner that you use in the live CD "try without installing" has changed. Previously I used gparted. I can't remember if gparted is there on the live CD anymore, but the really slick Disk Utility seems to have replaced gparted on the real installs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Chose well, you may want to try Kubuntu or Xubuntu also.

Screen-shots

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (GNOME Desktop Environment)

Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (K Desktop Environment)

Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (XFCE Desktop Environment)
    Last edited by kio_http; May 7th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

My questions are:

1. I have not installed it on an extended partition, but I think you'll be fine. When you run the installer, do not select "automatic" mode -- use "manual" model and pick your partitions.

2. 21 GB is WAY more than you'll ever need. When I have it fully loaded it barely ever gets to 6GB.

3. No defreg needed. Interestingly, you find there is no defrag utility for Linux....the filesystems render it unnecessary. Defrag is a windows only phenom.

4. No.

5. Linux can read/write to every Windows file system type including Fat32 and NTFS....so either way you'll be fine. You can mount that filesystem automatically if you want by putting an entry in /etc/fstab after you get Ubuntu up and running. However your Gnome desktop environment will automatically recognize it as a Windows filesystem and put an icon on your desktop.

6. You can format it in either place. A FAT32 file system is the same whether formatted in windows or linux. BTW -- I have a dual boot Win/Ubuntu laptop and have shared the same files between both for years.

7. Very much the same...actually has changed much in years. BTW, if you have enough RAM, you can skip creating a SWAP partition...its optional.

-- Remember to have fun with it and enjoy!

Beans

I am fairly recent to this, but did a dual boot restoration of an old laptop after inserting a hard drive with XP and Ubuntu Studio.
    I installed XP clean, then did all the manual partitioning in Ubuntu 9.1 and upgraded...

1.My Ubuntu is on a logical partition, though i believe that the Grub is on the primary
    2.I believe 21g is more than adequate for the basic install, i would consider a small partition for a swap. I did 1 gig
    3.this was recommended in all my reading, i did not do it on mine as it was a clean install
    4.I don't see the necessity for shrinking one, I guess that would have more to do with your data needs.
    5.I did my shared disc FAT32 from the results of my research, though i cannot remember the citation
    6.I did it with Ubuntu with no problems reflected by Windows, and see no reason that it would not be accommodated in reverse. I can understand your reservation as Windows 7 is a bit picky about certain things (though quite a bit better than Vista)
    7.Can't answer that, i used 9.10 which went very smoothly. If you feel more secure, use a karmic install as my upgrade went without a hitch...

I look forward to someone with more expertise to critique the above, by codifying it i am trying to learn myself...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you guys, you all are so cooperative & so quick to answer my questions. I really relieved me a lot. Now i have gained the courage to install ubuntu tonight.
    Again Thank you soooooooooo much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast