Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Lucid iso from another partition by booting from grub2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installing Lucid iso from another partition by booting from grub2

nice job

you think it's possible to do it with LiveCD which doens't have text based installer and i can't make the symlink before mounting ?

or if grub could load the iso from network drive ? perhaps through samba on remote computer? can it do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Post Re: Installing Lucid iso from another partition by booting from grub2

@primski:ubuntu desktop cd(live cd) is obviously can be booted from iso.(I already tried that,If I understand your question correctly) .One Idea is ,boot a minimal cd with debian installer.it can search partitions for Linux ISO.in that way ,ISO can be mounted and install may be possible?

Yes,it is obviously possible to have the iso mounted to DVD Drive device file in Desktop CD Live Session.But ,the Idea had not struck Me while doing Ubuntu Live CD (Silly Me!!!) .Ofcourse,Someone can try and report here.but ,one thing is ,udevd may umount the device file randomly.means, do the symlinking only before launching installer(Ubiquity).

as regarding installation through local lan,I have not much Idea.may be multiple ways exists.I've done few RH/Fedora installs many years back.But ,I don't remember anything.Was it through SSH
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...0installations

--
    Meanwhile,These all hassles will not occur ,if we copy the iso directly to RAM(RAMDISK).debian installer(alternate cd) mounts itself in /dev/tmpfs default. I've tried "toram" bootparameter and it seems to not work for Desktop CD.Do We Need to Mention "RAMDISK_SIZE=xyz kB" in grub2 line starting with "linux (loop)/casperinux ..."?What is the general format to copy iso to RAM?
    Last edited by deepclutch; May 11th, 2010 at 11:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok, thanks for ideas. i will give it a try later on when i come home from work.

i will also try putting iso on my SD card, which is USB device and it should work too in theory. Meanwhile, none of this hassle would be needed if i had an empty cd/usb stick or spare hdd in my laptop so worst case scenario, im buying an empty cd and burning it, but doing it through iso is so much easier (in the long-run when u know how to do it )

thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

@primski:Obviously,I've usb drives.But ,wanted to experiment .With USB Drive ,There is not much difficulty.

Thanks and Good Luck For your install using USB(Pleanty of Guides are available in this forum itself?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12