Thread: Installing server files on the Desktop version??

Beans

Installing server files on the Desktop version??

Hi I am new at Linux. I am A+ certified as well as Net+ certified. I am trying to set up a Web Server to host 2 Websites and a Mailing list want th use mail man for that. I at first installed the Server version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32 bit version. Didn't get a GUI interface. So installed the Desktop version hoping I can install the server files to get this program going. Is there any way to install what I need into the desktop version?

Mike Hughes
    mail<at>mikealrhughes<dot>com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing server files on the Desktop version??

You'll want to open the terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
    Note: the caret '^' symbol is essential.

There is a nice tutorial here:
    http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/04/install...04-lucid-lynx/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, just look in Synaptic Package Manager for whatever services you want to install.

There is a single command that installs Apache (web server), PHP and MySQL; it's:

Code:
    sudo tasksel lamp-server
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Yes, just look in Synaptic Package Manager for whatever services you want to install.

There is a single command that installs Apache (web server), PHP and MySQL; it's:

Code:
    sudo tasksel lamp-server
    I keep seeing this, but can't find a good answer. I want to know if I can have both Desktop and the LAMP server with one box? I just set a box up with 10.4 Desktop. If I use the tasksel, will this kill my Desktop? I need both. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Abera View Post
    I want to know if I can have both Desktop and the LAMP server with one box?
    Yes, I've done just that.

Really does not matter - install the Desktop 1st - then add the Lamp and whatever else servers you want.

As long as your hardware is good enough - should run just fine.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by louieb View Post
    Yes, I've done just that.

Really does not matter - install the Desktop 1st - then add the Lamp and whatever else servers you want.

As long as your hardware is good enough - should run just fine.
    Thank you... Which of these do I use?

sudo tasksel lamp-server

Or

sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't know that it matters. For what its worth I use - note the install option was missing from the previous post.

Code:
    sudo tasksel install lamp-server
    Once installed - heres a good start to get it configured. ApacheMySQLPHP - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by louieb View Post
    Don't know that it matters. For what its worth I use - note the install option was missing from the previous post.

Code:
    sudo tasksel install lamp-server
    Once installed - heres a good start to get it configured. ApacheMySQLPHP - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    While looking around, I also found this. It takes the config out and does it itself and worked good.
    By Phillw
    As of 9.10 the correct way to put on a LAMP server is as follows

Code:
    sudo tasksel

Arrow down to LAMP, press the space bar to put an * in the box, press the tab bar to get to <OK> and press enter. Then do as it says & make a note of your MySQL root password

Then, go into System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager
    Type in phpmyadmin in the search window, right click on the little box to the left of phpmyadmin in the results area, select install, then click on 'Apply'. Do as it says. (Obviously, when asked, tell it you are using Apache).

Then reboot. You now have a full LAMP installation with PhpMyAdmin on it - all configured up.
    My only problem is permissions. I can't move anything too the WWW dir. Says I'n not the owner?
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You really do no tneed Gnome desktop on a server.

Most of the management of a Linux server is either editing config files or starting / stopng services all of which can be done from the command line or over ssh.

If you want a graphical fron end, I suggest you look at webmin. Here is a guide, written for Debian, but applies to Ubuntu as well.

http://woodel.com/

If you are new to Linux you have some reading to do re- sys admin, permissions, etc.

For a server guide I suggest you start with :

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html

RootSudo - Community Ubuntu Documentation

FilePermissions - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface