Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Beans

Re: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by IceDoE View Post
    Alright so TurboPrint helps get the printer going.

However, I cannot use the scanner wirelessly using turboprint it seems, and Simple Scan does not detect the scanner (I presume because its a wireless, networked scanner).

I don't know if the wireless scanner works using the drivers from canon, as those are 9.10 drivers and don't seem to work with 10.04 which I have.
    IceDoE,

Did you ever get the scanner working with TurboPrint or any other solution?

Thanks,

Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrone View Post
    GenePayne,

Thanks for putting up these posts. I tried to run the process as you have laid out but I received the same errors as the previous poster on May 30th 2011; agm642. can't read install.sh. I used the post that you had edited under point 3. Is there something else I should have done?
    pmorrone,

Can you post the exact output that you get when you run the script, just like agm642 did in post #84 of this thread? That will help me to figure out exactly what is going wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GenePayne View Post
    pmorrone,

Can you post the exact output that you get when you run the script, just like agm642 did in post #84 of this thread? That will help me to figure out exactly what is going wrong.
    GenePayne,

Thanks much for responding back to my inquiry. I was able to get the script to run and extract the cnijfilter-mx870series-3.30-1-i386-deb and scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb to the home folder and ran the install files for both. The printer file opened up, registered the printer and worked fine, even was able to print a test page; I now can see the printer under the printing app. However, when I ran the scanner install file it started up in the terminal and asked for my sudo password, ran for a moment and then the terminal just closed. I would have posted the output but the terminal closed.

Is there something else I should have done? Is there a scanner utility that I need to run afterwards to use the scanner that I am unaware of?
    Last edited by pmorrone; August 9th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrone View Post
    ...However, when I ran the scanner install file it started up in the terminal and asked for my sudo password, ran for a moment and then the terminal just closed. I would have posted the output but the terminal closed.

Is there something else I should have done? Is there a scanner utility that I need to run afterwards to use the scanner that I am unaware of?
    I'm glad the printer part worked. To figure out why the scanner install didn't work, the output will be needed.
    Are you running the install.sh script by clicking on its icon in a file browser? If so, I would do the following instead. Open a terminal window (select terminal from the menu/launcher), then type:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb
    to get to the directory containing the scanner install script (note that the '~/Downloads' is an example path. Replace this part of the path with the actual location of the scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb directory on your system). Then type:
    Code:
    sudo ./install.sh
    The scanner install will probably crash on you again but it shouldn't close the terminal window when it does. Hopefully there will be error output that you can post.
    Last edited by GenePayne; August 9th, 2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: corrected my quoting of other post

Beans

I'm glad the printer part worked. To figure out why the scanner install didn't work, the output will be needed.
    Are you running the install.sh script by clicking on its icon in a file browser? If so, I would do the following instead. Open a terminal window (select terminal from the menu/launcher), then type:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb
    to get to the directory containing the scanner install script (note that the '~/Downloads' is an example path. Replace this part of the path with the actual location of the scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb directory on your system). Then type:
    Code:
    sudo ./install.sh
    The scanner install will probably crash on you again but it shouldn't close the terminal window when it does. Hopefully there will be error output that you can post.
    GenePayne,

Thanks again for responding to my inquiry. I followed your instructions and received the following message. It says that the install completed and left me at the prompt but I cannot find any app to run a scan and the simple scan doesn't seem to connect or find any devices.

Thanks

phil@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Downloads/scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb
    phil@ubuntu:~/Downloads/scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb$ sudo ./install.sh
    [sudo] password for phil:
    ==================================================

ScanGear MP Ver.1.50-1 for Linux
    Copyright CANON INC. 2007-2010
    All Rights Reserved.

Command executed = sudo dpkg --force-architecture -iG ./packages/scangearmp-common_1.50-1_i386.deb
    dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
    package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    (Reading database ... 168936 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace scangearmp-common:i386 1.50-1 (using .../scangearmp-common_1.50-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement scangearmp-common:i386 ...
    Setting up scangearmp-common:i386 (1.50-1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Command executed = sudo dpkg --force-architecture -iG ./packages/scangearmp-mx870series_1.50-1_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 168936 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace scangearmp-mx870series:i386 1.50-1 (using .../scangearmp-mx870series_1.50-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement scangearmp-mx870series:i386 ...
    Setting up scangearmp-mx870series:i386 (1.50-1) ...
    Installation has been completed.
    phil@ubuntu:~/Downloads/scangearmp-mx870series-1.50-1-i386-deb$

Beans

Hi, I got the printer working by using the 'add a printer' GUI, but I'd still like to know why the install.sh script wasn't running out of curiosity.. Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro

pmorrone,

It looks like your install worked. It should have installed a program called scangearmp (probably in /usr/bin). This is the only program I use for scanning with the Canon MX870. Others may have had success with getting it to work on other scanning programs, I don't know. It works well and does everything I need to do, anyway.

I can't remember if there is an icon that is automatically added in the ubuntu start menu or unity launcher (depending on what ubuntu version you're running). I think I created my own entry in the unity launcher.

If you type 'scangearmp' in a terminal, it should run.

Beans

pmorrone,

It looks like your install worked. It should have installed a program called scangearmp (probably in /usr/bin). This is the only program I use for scanning with the Canon MX870. Others may have had success with getting it to work on other scanning programs, I don't know. It works well and does everything I need to do, anyway.

I can't remember if there is an icon that is automatically added in the ubuntu start menu or unity launcher (depending on what ubuntu version you're running). I think I created my own entry in the unity launcher.

If you type 'scangearmp' in a terminal, it should run.
    GenePayne,

Worked perfectly. Sorry for the trouble; very new to Linux but really enjoying it. Thanks again for your help.

Beans

Hi,
    i tried to install my mx870 printer and have one problem.
    I uses the "modify driver script" and after that, the printer install.sh worked but i can't find my printer in the network.
    The scanner install worked without any errors and with the "simple scan" program, i can scan a page.
    But a scangearmp app isn't installed
    Code:
    henning@Henning-Think:~$ scan   (2x tab)
    scangearmp                           scanimage
    scangearmp-mx870series-pkgconfig.sh  
    henning@Henning-Think:~$ scangearmp
    bash: /usr/bin/scangearmp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (means: File or directory not found )
    henning@Henning-Think:~$
    Any ideas how to install the printer and the canon scan application? Should i try the setup from the asia site (i used the europe/German one)?
    Hope you understood my problem

EDIT: i forgot: i'm using a new install of ubuntu 11.04 64bit. MY Notebook is connectet wireless, the printer wired.

And i didn't understand this: Ubuntu finds the entry scangearmp in /usr/bin but if i try to start, my pc did not find it anymore?
    Code:
    henning@Henning-Think:~$ sudo find /* -name scangearmp
    /usr/share/scangearmp
    /usr/bin/scangearmp
    henning@Henning-Think:~$ /usr/bin/scangearmp 
    bash: /usr/bin/scangearmp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (german for: File or Directory not found)
    henning@Henning-Think:~$
    Last edited by qupfer; August 11th, 2011 at 10:18 PM.

Beans

Running 11.04 64-bit. Have an HP 5850 that was working fine, but cartridge prices are getting ridiculous, so I figured I'd consolidate to the family's MX870.

I got these errors using the modified install.sh:

fjb@jnatty-64:~/Downloads/cnijfilter-mx870series-3.30-1-i386-deb$ sudo ./install.sh

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.30-1 for Linux
    Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2010
    All Rights Reserved.

Command executed = sudo dpkg --force-architecture -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 238349 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace cnijfilter-common:i386 3.30-1 (using .../cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement cnijfilter-common:i386 ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-common:i386:
    cnijfilter-common:i386 depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1).
    cnijfilter-common:i386 depends on libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1) | libcups2.
    cnijfilter-common:i386 depends on libpopt0 (>= 1.7).
    dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-common:i386 (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    cnijfilter-common:i386
    fjb@jnatty-64:~/Downloads/cnijfilter-mx870series-3.30-1-i386-deb$

I'm a bit temporally challenged, and I seem to actually have all the dependencies satisfied according to Synaptic, so I tried the TurboPrint trick (thank you, all), and printing over my local wired network to the WLAN-connected 870 upstairs works fine. Will try to get the scanner working next and report back.

Also, regarding scanning. Our 870 is USB-connected to my wife's late-model OSX iMac, and even with the official Canon software, network printing and definitely scanning are worthlessly unstable, in my experience. Printing's great on USB for that machine, but not scanning. I have capitulated to using an SD card in the 870, scanning to PDF, and then spinning around in the chair and putting the SD card in the iMac. So I think Canon has some software issues in general there, based on my experience, and digging through Apple and Canon forums.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast