Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

I was also able to get my Canon MX870 installed and working in 12.04 64-bit using the standard ubuntu add printer method (system settings -> Printing -> Add -> Printer -> Find Network Printer).

Much easier now that the driver is included with ubuntu!

Beans

I was having problems with my MX870 after upgrading to 12.04 from 11.10. The printer would be recognized and would receive print jobs, but it would do nothing after displaying the message "Processing" on the LCD screen.

I originally had the printer working under 11.10 with the michael gruz ppa, but this no longer worked in 12.04 and attempting to install from Ubuntu's Printing manager didn't work either.

Finally, I found a michael gruz ppa that has been updated for 12.04:
    https://code.launchpad.net/~michael-...runk/+packages

I first removed the old driver with Synaptic Package Manager, then added the new one:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-mx870series
    After doing this, installing the printer with the Printing manager worked.

Beans

I can confirm that if you are starting from scratch on 12.04, installing the printer is easy by using the printer manager. After supplying the IP address of the printer, I selected "PASSTHRU" when prompted with several options, and it worked correctly. I had originally selected "" and that failed to work correctly.

I can also confirm the scanner install listed in the first post still works perfectly, and that Ubuntu's included "Simple Scan" software will work with the scanner, if that is preferred to the software which comes with the scanner. I personally prefer Simple Scan, but the Canon software provides more advanced settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oogabubchub View Post
    I was having problems with my MX870 after upgrading to 12.04 from 11.10. The printer would be recognized and would receive print jobs, but it would do nothing after displaying the message "Processing" on the LCD screen.

I originally had the printer working under 11.10 with the michael gruz ppa, but this no longer worked in 12.04 and attempting to install from Ubuntu's Printing manager didn't work either.

Finally, I found a michael gruz ppa that has been updated for 12.04:
    https://code.launchpad.net/~michael-...runk/+packages

I first removed the old driver with Synaptic Package Manager, then added the new one:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-mx870series
    After doing this, installing the printer with the Printing manager worked.
    I was having the very same problem with the MP530, and this seems to work for me as well. fingers crossed it holds!

Beans

Anyone had success in making the printer work at faster than a glacial pace? I've been able to print, which is great, but I have to wait forever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Samushighwind View Post
    GenePayne, I used your script and everything ran smoothly up to the point where it asked me to register the printer and it couldn't find it. This could be my fault entirely, but is there any chance it isn't?

I'll keep trying to figure out the problem in case it's all me.
    I had the same problem. I worked around it by:

1. finish installing scangearmp
    2. run scangearmp
    3. select "rescan", at which point my device was found
    4. close scangearmp
    5. finish the printer install manually using these instructions (basically, find the device with cnijnetprn and then install it with lpadmin): http://linux.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_..._work_on_Linux

Beans
    Distro

I recently purchased a brand new System76 Lemur Ultra laptop and I have a Canon PIXMA MX870 multi-function printer, scanner, and copier. I connect it using a Category 5e cable to my Verizon FIOS fiber optic MI424WR 802.11 B/G router and switch. I tried to add the IP address, but it keeps saying that no printer was found. I switched to 802.11 G Wi-Fi and I entered in the IP address and it still does not work. I did add and install the Michael Gruz Canon-Trunk PPA and I added the MX870 series device driver. I do have port 631 over both TCP and UDP to permit traffic to go out.

Why can't I add my printer? How do I add my printer so that I can print?

Please help.

Beans

Hi

I was having problems getting my Pixma MG6250 installed, until I found this thread. Weird thing is though, uname =m returns i686 whichas far as I know is 32 bit, but the install scripts would not work without doing the hack mentioned on page 1, once I did that all went well.

However scangear was a diferent issue. see my thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2089373http://
    for the issue and the solution.

Basically I had to leave 2 lines uncommented in the install scrip otherwise I got a heap or errors. Maybe this can help someone esle that is getting stuck. I hope so.

Beans

Hi

I was having problems getting my Pixma MG6250 installed, until I found this thread. Weird thing is though, uname =m returns i686 whichas far as I know is 32 bit, but the install scripts would not work without doing the hack mentioned on page 1, once I did that all went well.

However scangear was a diferent issue. see my thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2089373http://
    for the issue and the solution.

Basically I had to leave 2 lines uncommented in the install script otherwise I got a heap of errors. Maybe this can help someone else that is getting stuck. I hope so.

Beans
    Distro

I got it to work now. I can print to my Canon PIXMA MX870 printer using ipp protocol. Solved!

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast