Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Samushighwind View Post
    here:

also I successfully installed the scanner driver, but now... I'm guessing this is because the printer can't be detected, but attempting to execute /usr/bin/whatever it's called seems to do nothing.
    I don't know why it isn't working. It looks to me like the modification script I wrote is at least getting you to the install.
    I don't remember if I got this error that you had:
    /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnijusb: error while loading shared libraries: libcups.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Maybe that had something to do with it. It looks like the install script uses cups to find the printer (line 461 of install.sh), and your error has to do with libcups.
    You might get more information by running the script in debug mode
    Code:
    bash -x ./install.sh

If that doesn't work, maybe you could try what looks like a different driver. I saw the following link posted elsewhere in this forum, but I didn't try it because I had already gotten the drivers from the canon-asia site to work.
    HTML Code:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0038683.asp?model=

Beans

One potentially awkward thing about the way I have the printer set up is that every computer, including my desktop, connects to it wirelessly. It's a fairly straightforward setup process on Windows, of course, but I do know I have set up the printer successfully on Ubuntu 10.04. I used the instructions in the original post for that, but they didn't work this time, so I used your post.

As far as getting the printer connected, I don't remember what I did. I think it was hooked up wirelessly at the time, but I'm not sure. Is yours connected wirelessly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Samushighwind View Post
    One potentially awkward thing about the way I have the printer set up is that every computer, including my desktop, connects to it wirelessly. It's a fairly straightforward setup process on Windows, of course, but I do know I have set up the printer successfully on Ubuntu 10.04. I used the instructions in the original post for that, but they didn't work this time, so I used your post.

As far as getting the printer connected, I don't remember what I did. I think it was hooked up wirelessly at the time, but I'm not sure. Is yours connected wirelessly?
    Yes, I connect to mine wirelessly. I just had it turned-on when I got to the portion of the install where it finds the printer.

I also had mine running before in Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit. When I installed it in Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, I had a few other issues, which is why I wrote the script.

So are you saying you have multiple computers on a WLAN network connecting to the printer? Are any of them on and connected to it while you're trying to do the driver install for Ubuntu 11.04? I'm just wondering if it's possible that another machine is somehow staking a claim on the printer while your driver install is trying to do the same.

Beans

Well printing works fine when I'm on Windows, so I'm guessing no.

Do you know a way I could connect to it using the System Settings->Printing dialog?

I also found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=435940 But I don't know what it means I should do.
    Last edited by Samushighwind; June 7th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Beans

I just did it using the method in the first post for my laptop running 10.04. It worked fine and the difference I suppose was that instead of throwing the 64-bit-related problem when it tried to search for printers, it asked if I wanted to use USB or Network and it worked from there.

What's the difference between your modified install.sh and the one the first post would have you create?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post #83 worked on VPCEG11FX, 11.04. Original 64 bit mod didn't for some reason. Thanks!
    Steve

Beans

Talking Re: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GenePayne View Post
    I have gotten the Canon MX870 linux drivers to work for 64-bit 11.04 Ubuntu...
    I can confirm that this works flawlessly for my Canon MP560 on Linux Mint 11 as well.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I was just trying to install on 10.10 64-bit, and was stuck at the registration prompt. The fix for me was to install the 32-bit libraries:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Once I did that, everything (both scanner and printer) worked fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all the research and documenting that was needed to put together this "How To:". The install went perfectly. Now I am just one more step to not needing Windows (Win7). Plus after having used many HP Ink Jet printers, this MX870 is the greatest of all. Again, thanks thewump

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GenePayne View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. I just fixed the script in my original post above (under step 3 of my May 29 2011 post).

Please start over at step 2 of the instructions, and let me know if there's still a problem.
    GenePayne,

Thanks for putting up these posts. I tried to run the process as you have laid out but I received the same errors as the previous poster on May 30th 2011; agm642. can't read install.sh. I used the post that you had edited under point 3. Is there something else I should have done?
    Last edited by pmorrone; August 7th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast