Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update (grub) broke my Win 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Update (grub) broke my Win 7

Skywars good luck, and make sure you have a back up of your files via your bootable environment, before you continue anything. For me SuperGrubdisk and Parted Magic and Windows 7 disks were essential. I even had to buy an external CD drive as even the manufacturers recovery partition had been damaged. This was only only cost 50 much less than the 50 or so hours wasted on this in total...

ottosykora I also to avoid headaches like this in the future am looking for some good image / cloning software.
    Found this-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...oning_software
    reviewing the list...
    Would really like something that clones partitions as well

I already have my data on a separate disk that gets sync-ed on another drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bartcelona,

Your original results.txt showed the boot flag on sda1 which was the Dell utility partition. Did you boot thru that originally? I doubt that that partition had the backup boot sector that windows has and testdisk uses to repair the windows when the boot sector is overwriten.

Your disk utility posting says sda3 is bootable so I assume you moved the boot flag or the windows repairs moved it. Can you now boot thru sda3? You may be missing the dell utility and recovery partitions?

Grub only can boot a working windows system, so sometimes it is best just to revert to directly booting windows and repairing that. Then reinstalling grub.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

solved - Re: Update (grub) broke my Win 7

oldfred, I believe I originally booted through 3. the results.txt might have been after some point in time but I had tried 1 and 3.

anyway I am happily dual booting for a while now... still need to remove old windows partition and then grow the new one. next week ?

ciao

Beans

Same problem here. My Lucid Lynx CD wasn't installing right, so I loaded Karmic and then upgraded to Lucid. When it updated grub I took the on screen advice (because I had no idea where I should put grub) and put it on everything that seemed applicable.

I managed to stumble on a Microsoft thread that (almost) got me back into 7, I'll post it from Ubuntu when I get back in it (Writing this in Windows).

From the Windows DVD Click next after selecting English and go to the command line. There are 4 commands, not sure which one was the magic one, but type:

bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD
    bootrec /scanOS

(There's a white space before the slash, although not sure if it matters)

They report 0 Windows installations after executing for some reason, but it works. This wipes out grub, and for me it wiped out my MBR I think. On reboot I got a message similar to "Missing BootMGR". After booting back into the Windows DVD, the Fix Startup or Startup Repair, whatever it is, actually rebuilds the MBR. Rebooting got me back into Windows, thank God. This is the second time this has happened to me. I guess from here you can go about reinstalling grub from google.

I think previous tries at the Startup Repair option in the Windows DVD were just moving the boot flag around. That's why it would say it did something, but wouldn't actually work.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by YellottYellott; June 8th, 2010 at 07:56 AM.

Beans

Found an easy way out!

I had the same problem as everyone -
    I accidentally installed grub into the windows partition while updating.
    it made windows stop booting from grub, and when I entered update-grub
    it said something about the boot folder in the windows partition being inaccessible.

so I opened the folder to which the windows partition was mounted to and found
    two similar folders: "boot" and "Boot".
    the capital B folder contained .exe's and stuff, and the other contained grub files which shouldn't be there.

I deleted "boot" and ran "sudo update-grub"
    grub recognized the windows partition and now everything runs perfect.

REMEMBER TO BACK UP BEFORE DELETING ANYTHING!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12