Thread: Roll Back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Roll Back?

I've just upgraded to 10.04 LTS and just wondering if there is a way of rolling back? It's terrible on my EEE 1080, my sound no longer works, I can't edit the bar at the top, I can't get rid of the Applications menu and I cannot re arrange the icons on the bar. I really want to roll back so is there a way or am I going to have to fresh install?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Roll Back?

Hi jdb91.

The only way back is a fresh install. Sorry.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jdb91 View Post
    I've just upgraded to 10.04 LTS and just wondering if there is a way of rolling back? It's terrible on my EEE 1080, my sound no longer works, I can't edit the bar at the top, I can't get rid of the Applications menu and I cannot re arrange the icons on the bar. I really want to roll back so is there a way or am I going to have to fresh install?
    There is no 'roll back' whatever that means, but lets try fixing the top panel issue. Open Applications->Accessories->Terminal, copy/paste the following command and hit 'Enter'.
    Code:
    rm -r .gconf/apps/panel
    Now, logout, and then login.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jdb91 View Post
    my sound no longer works
    Type "alsamixer" in a terminal (without the quotes) and adjust your settings there, probably your speaker volume.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dgw View Post
    Type "alsamixer" in a terminal (without the quotes) and adjust your settings there, probably your speaker volume.
    I sorted that out, in sound settings, it was set to only outputting through the jack rather than speakers.

The second thing I want to sort out it to get the top bar with Applications, Places, System and the bottom bar with running applications like I had on 9.10. I'm sure you used to be able to right click on the bar to edit it, but I can't do that any more. I hate this new sinlge button that fills the desktop with a menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    There is no 'roll back' whatever that means, but lets try fixing the top panel issue. Open Applications->Accessories->Terminal, copy/paste the following command and hit 'Enter'.
    Code:
    rm -r .gconf/apps/panel
    Now, logout, and then login.
    Removing that hasn't changed the bar, this is what I get upon boot:

And this is what I used to have before upgrade (the bars where set to autohide, but you can just make them out)