Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE4 Window Decorator Crashes with Compiz in Lucid Lynx 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!

KDE4 Window Decorator Crashes with Compiz in Lucid Lynx 10.04

This is a thread to discuss Bug #572780 - KDE Window Decorator crash using Compiz in Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

ACTIONS:
    On Kubuntu x64 10.04 Lucid Lynx, install the following Compiz packages...
    compiz
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    compiz-kde
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main
    compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    fusion-icon

Select Compiz as the window manager. KDE Window Decorator crashes with the following error...

RESULT:
    Application: KDE Window Decorator (kde4-window-decorator), signal: Segmentation fault

POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND:
    Use the Plastik window decoration theme...

Select K | System Settings | Appearance | Windows | Window Decoration (tab)
    Select "Plastik" from the drop down.
    Click Apply button.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: KDE4 Window Decorator Crashes with Compiz in Lucid Lynx 10.04

Has anyone else had success with the Plastik approach? (One user in the bug report said it did not work for him).

I have tried this on three machines.
    Two are Intel x64 with on-board Intel graphics chips.
    One is AMD x64 with an older ATI graphics card.

The trick worked on all machines, but I did start off with a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04, instead of an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am the one for whom the trick did not work. Instead, the X server crashed immediately.

However, I'm using Openbox now, hopefully waiting for compiz-kde packet to be updated, as the problem has already been fixed upstream.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Edit: the trick works now. What caused X to crash was the transition from Openbox to Compiz.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Plastik setting for Window Decoration trick worked for me.

--

possible confusion for those who are sleepy...

K menu -> Application -> Settings -> System Settings -> Look & Feel section -> Appearance -> Windows -> Window Decoration Tab -> Plastik, is not the same as
    K menu -> Application -> Settings -> System Settings -> Look & Feel section -> Appearance -> Style -> Applications tab -> Widget style, which has a setting called 'plastique'
    Last edited by BryanFRitt; May 18th, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
    One of my most wanted bugs [in K/Ubuntu, ...] I'd like fixed is that
    GNOME save as / open dialogs don't have a way to copy paths to the clipboard.
    p.s.
    Recovery console should be renamed performance gaming console

Beans

The kde-window-decorator decorator has basically always been garbage in KDE4, so I've used Emerald instead. It can't use normal KDE4 decorations, but kde-look.org has some decent themes to pick from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Re: KDE4 Window Decorator Crashes with Compiz in Lucid Lynx 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    The kde-window-decorator decorator has basically always been garbage in KDE4, so I've used Emerald instead. It can't use normal KDE4 decorations, but kde-look.org has some decent themes to pick from.
    This worked for me.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install emerald libemeraldengine0
    compiz --replace
    emerald --replace
    Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by texaswriter View Post
    This worked for me.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install emerald libemeraldengine0
    compiz --replace
    emerald --replace
    Good luck.
    when i run these command,while executing the command compiz --replace my system stopped working and i had to restart.i am using KDE 10.04.and i selected window decorator as emerald still i am unable to install theme.
    any help??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: KDE4 Window Decorator Crashes with Compiz in Lucid Lynx 10.04

Supposing Kwin is currently running: Install emerald and its prerequisites as well as compiz

Then compiz --replace; emerald --replace;

That didn't stop my system. If it does, ensure *which* one is freezing it. Does using one halt your system or the other... Or in other words, try them by themselves. Emerald may not [probably won't] use the same theme that was installed by itself. You can google emerald theme download and find suitable themes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJSingh5000 View Post
    Has anyone else had success with the Plastik approach? (One user in the bug report said it did not work for him).

I have tried this on three machines.
    Two are Intel x64 with on-board Intel graphics chips.
    One is AMD x64 with an older ATI graphics card.

The trick worked on all machines, but I did start off with a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04, instead of an upgrade.
    Switching to Plastic allowed Compiz to use the KDE Window Manager without any error.

I'm running 10.04 x64 on a Asus G73JH (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 & Intel i7)
    I had Compiz up & running with Emerald Window Manger working fine but read somewhere that support for Emerald may be dropped (or something like that). So I thought I would try switching the Window Decorator to KDE4 via the Compiz Fusion Icon. At first this worked without any errors popping up but there were no borders around my windows. I tried to apply a new style under System Settings>Appearance>Style with no change. But after I went into Compiz Config Settings Manager - Effects>Window Decoration, under command I removed the --replace from 'kde4-window-decorator --replace' & once I reloaded my Window Manager that error popped up (still with no Window Borders of course). I set So I went back to Emerald.

TLDR; Plastic Fix worked for me. Sounds like the Compiz crew have a fix already in the works.

-1i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast