Thread: Should I freelance?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Should I freelance?

I've done a few web development jobs before and have a decent list of past clients for my PHP/MySQL work. Is it worth registering a DBA (Doing Business As) and actually running a Freelance programming operation? If so, where do most of those clients come from? Do any of you scour those freelance code sites where people put up bids for jobs? And guides on how to do/market this successfully?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Should I freelance?

I think you'd be better off setting up as a Sole Trader and setting up a tiny business - design your own homepage, get it hosted somewhere, and advertise wherever you can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need a DBA if you want to have bank accounts under an assumed name. You will have to run an ad in a local paper in some cities as well.

For a freelancer, you do NOT need a DBA and you will only incur additional costs.

Just do business as your legal name at first.

Letting people know what you do is critical at first. If you are good, word-of-mouth will normally keep you busy after the first year or two.

Good luck.

PS - Get cards with your contact data AND a list of what you do. Hand them out constantly. Do not leave home without them.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans

Here is an excellent thread you should read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645229
    Go you good thing!