Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'failed to connect to server'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'failed to connect to server'

I get this error ALL THE TIME after a reboot if I try to print. Going to the printing applet to add the printer does no good because Lucid is not connected to the CUPS server. I found that the work-around below fixes the issue for the current session.

Code:
    sudo aa-complain cupsd
    sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
    I'm not sure why this works and rebooting doesn't restart it properly, but I'm getting kind of tired of it.

Is there a permanent way to fix this issue? I've checked and found it's been a problem since AT LEAST 8.04.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans

Re: There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'failed to connect to server'

I'm having the same problem but it just started in 10.04. Put CUPS in complain mode and restart clears it up, but yeah it's kind of a pain.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dvfreelancer View Post
    I'm having the same problem but it just started in 10.04. Put CUPS in complain mode and restart clears it up, but yeah it's kind of a pain.
    I've had the problem with several version of Ubuntu, but none so bothersome as with Lucid. Hopefully it will become more stable in the weeks to come. I'm also having other problems with Lucid regarding video + plymouth + fsck taking 30-45 minutes.

If these bugs don't get worked out fairly soon, I'll be reverting back to Karmic (and even Intrepid Ibex on one machine possibly).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

+1
    Toshiba Satellite A505-6965 - Intel Core 2 Duo P7350
    4 GB DDR2 RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
    500 GB @ 5400 RPM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had this same issue when I was using a printer that was mapped to a mac. The mac was setup on static ip and if it was in a sleep mode or something similar it was an issue. However, if I mapped the same printer using only the IP address and not the name then this issue went away and I haven't had any problems since then... I don't know if that will work but it's a thought...
    I'm not real smart but I can google heavy things...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sir_nasty View Post
    I had this same issue when I was using a printer that was mapped to a mac. The mac was setup on static ip and if it was in a sleep mode or something similar it was an issue. However, if I mapped the same printer using only the IP address and not the name then this issue went away and I haven't had any problems since then... I don't know if that will work but it's a thought...
    The printer is connected via USB port not networked with the computer having the problem.

Beans

Me too with a networked hp 4550 - new problem in 10.04.

Stupid problems too with duplex printing but that's another issue. Why I STILL dont dare recommend Ubuntu to friends and relatives.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by resthavener View Post
    Why I STILL dont dare recommend Ubuntu to friends and relatives.
    I made that mistake too. It cost me the friendship of a 30 year friend. He was just too stupid to catch on to anything outside of windows (after 2 years!).

BACK ON TOPIC:

Have you found a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a thought (for those with a network setup) Try setting your computer to a static IP and set the printer to a static IP and see if it helps at all. That's the setup I'm running and it's been just fine (except for my printer disappearing every once in a while, then I unplug the ethernet cable for a few seconds and then plug it back in....) Just some thoughts....
    I'm not real smart but I can google heavy things...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sir_nasty View Post
    Just a thought (for those with a network setup) Try setting your computer to a static IP and set the printer to a static IP and see if it helps at all. That's the setup I'm running and it's been just fine (except for my printer disappearing every once in a while, then I unplug the ethernet cable for a few seconds and then plug it back in....) Just some thoughts....
    Thanks for the input. I wish I could figure out how to set my printer to a static IP. I've been trying to figure that one out for a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast