Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

I'm using the PEUL version of VirtualBox on Lucid without any problems.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

The current beta version of Virtualbox, 3.2.0_BETA1, has Lucid debs. Check here and remember that it is in beta still: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.2.0_BETA1/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I run 64bit ubuntu 9.10 with win7-64 in Sun v-box haven't really tested the speed but it seems fine. i allocated 1.2GiB ram to win7 on a duel-core.
    POWER: Intel xeon 4x2.66GHz,4GB quad channel ecc DDR400(800MHz),210GB SCSI raid0(6x36GB) 512MB cache.
    PC: Intel E6600 @ 3.24GHz. NVIDIA 9800GT. 2GB DDR @ 833MHz. Ubuntu UE 2.6 64 (10.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I'm using the PEUL version of VirtualBox on Lucid without any problems.
    So you are using the PEUL version for 9.10 but in 10.04? Awesome, I just recently did a fresh install of 10.04, last night actually, and hadn't gotten to transferring/testing my VMs yet. Thanks for the heads up!

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by spydeyrch View Post
    One more thing that I just thought of, VB currently doesn't have a version of VB out for ubuntu 10.04. They do have one for 9.10 but I am not sure if it will work the right way or not in/for 10.04. We will just have to test, right. And hope that it works!!! hahahaha

-Spydey
    I tested it works fine and i am running xp on it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

Quote Originally Posted by Arla View Post
    Would love to have the guide, since I'm totally new to the whole virtual machine thing, right this minute I dual boot, but it would be nice to not have to do that for the few times I need windows.

CPU: T4200 Pentium Dual Core (or somewhere around there)
    GPU: Some sort of built in one, don't recall what
    RAM: 2GB
    HDD: 160GB
    ODD: DVD Reader, not sure if it writes DVD's or not (never used it for that)
    Ok dude, so after doing some research on your CPU, http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37251, I have determined that it does not support virtualization. Now that doesn't mean that you won't be able to do it. VB has some special coding in it that can still do a VM but it uses a lot more resources than normal. Like I previously posted, I did a VM on a P4 before, and it worked fine, just not lightning fast.

So it is your call, if you want me to post the guide, I am more than willing to do so. I would just hate to have you go through it and then not have it be worth your while/time because the performance isn't what you need. Just my $0.02

Let me know.

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

Quote Originally Posted by cap10Ibraim View Post
    I tested it works fine and i am running xp on it
    Awesome!! I am glad to hear that. Now I am just a little worried about the op's cpu, it doesn't support hardware virtualization. So if he/she does run a vm, it is going to use a lot more resources than if the cpu did support it. Still doable, but there will be performance penalties.

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

Alright, I have finished editing my previously created vista guest based on windows 7 host guide. It is now for windows 7 guest with ubuntu host. hopefully everything is clear.

If you want to enable shared folders, let me know. If you want to enable a really cool way of virus protection, let me know. If you want to try something else, or have questions let us know. Have fun at it. I have 3 OSs and in each OS I have about 2 - 3 VMs.

I need my flavors!! hehehehe

-Spydey

EDIT: I can't get it to upload, to big of a file. Even if I break it up into smaller chunks, I can't get it to fit. I think I am going to zip it. Give me a few moments. sorry about the delay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Installing Windows 7 in a VM?

Alright guys, I can't get it to compress to where the ubuntuforums will accept it, too big, even with zip compression.

Any other ideas on how to get it uploaded? There are screen shots (important) and so that is why it is such a large file, around 2.5 MB. I can't just upload the guide, via cut and paste, to the thread because the screen shots don't carry over correctly.

Any thoughts?

Sorry.

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cap10Ibraim View Post
    but with my laptop windows 7 runs somehow slow on VM
    As with mine, so I just dual-boot Windows 7 along side Ubuntu 10,04, which I would strongly suggest the OP of doing. Windows 7 will run quite slow compared to Vista or XP in a VM environment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast