Thread: Browse Nautilus sftp:// mount through terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Browse Nautilus sftp:// mount through terminal

I am having an important problem on a Ubuntu server 8.04 64 bits (with xorg-core, gnome-core, gdm, applied for remote users to work).

I mounted a remote samba (running on another Ubuntu server 8.04) through "Connect to server -> SSH -> etc" and it appears as bookmark in Nautilus.

I can browse that mount through nautilus and it looks like a sftp:// mount since it says
    "sftp on samba server" but I can't locate it on the disk! I can't browse it through terminal
    since I can't find it.

Also while the nautilus windows is opened with the remote mount this is the content of gvfs:
    Code:
    $ ls -al ~/.gvfs
    total 8
    drwx------  2 user user 4096 2009-07-14 14:30 .
    drwxr-x--- 36 user user 4096 2010-05-06 14:07 ..
    Do I miss something ? What else can I do ?

This is very important for me and this system to work properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Browse Nautilus sftp:// mount through terminal

Quote Originally Posted by dragos2 View Post
    I am having an important problem on a Ubuntu server 8.04 64 bits (with xorg-core, gnome-core, gdm, applied for remote users to work).

I mounted a remote samba (running on another Ubuntu server 8.04) through "Connect to server -> SSH -> etc" and it appears as bookmark in Nautilus.

I can browse that mount through nautilus and it looks like a sftp:// mount since it says
    "sftp on samba server" but I can't locate it on the disk! I can't browse it through terminal
    since I can't find it.

Also while the nautilus windows is opened with the remote mount this is the content of gvfs:
    Code:
    $ ls -al ~/.gvfs
    total 8
    drwx------  2 user user 4096 2009-07-14 14:30 .
    drwxr-x--- 36 user user 4096 2010-05-06 14:07 ..
    Do I miss something ? What else can I do ?

This is very important for me and this system to work properly.
    you need to make sure the samba server is setup correctly. then you should be able to do the following.

On samba server
    Code:
    foo@sambaserver:~$ less /etc/samba/smb.conf
    look for 'public'. You will see something like
    Code:
    [public]
            comment = Public Share
            path = /path/to/share/point
            read only = no
            guest only = yes
            guest ok = yes
    If the above is configured correctly you should be able to do the following.
    Code:
    foo@sambaclient:~$  smbclient -L //sambaserver -U foo
    foo@sambaclient:~$  smbclient //sambaserver/share_you_want_from_list -U foo
    smb: \> help
    VI Cheat Sheet
    Ubuntu Counter Project-user#21143

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder35 View Post
    you need to make sure the samba server is setup correctly. then you should be able to do the following.

On samba server
    Code:
    foo@sambaserver:~$ less /etc/samba/smb.conf
    look for 'public'. You will see something like
    Code:
    [public]
            comment = Public Share
            path = /path/to/share/point
            read only = no
            guest only = yes
            guest ok = yes
    If the above is configured correctly you should be able to do the following.
    Code:
    foo@sambaclient:~$  smbclient -L //sambaserver -U foo
    foo@sambaclient:~$  smbclient //sambaserver/share_you_want_from_list -U foo
    smb: \> help
    I don't think you understood. I can browse samba with no problems either through ssh,
    mount.cifs or smbclient. I only want to be able to see where is the nautilus sftp:// mount on the local system.

I have the gnome-open-terminal-here extension installed but when I right click a folder from nautilus on the remote samba it asks for the password but this does not helps me since I want the remote folder mounted locally to be able to pass the files from there as arguments to local programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by dragos2 View Post
    I don't think you understood. I can browse samba with no problems either through ssh,
    mount.cifs or smbclient. I only want to be able to see where is the nautilus sftp:// mount on the local system.

I have the gnome-open-terminal-here extension installed but when I right click a folder from nautilus on the remote samba it asks for the password but this does not helps me since I want the remote folder mounted locally to be able to pass the files from there as arguments to local programs.
    local system is client or server?
    VI Cheat Sheet
    Ubuntu Counter Project-user#21143

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder35 View Post
    local system is client or server?
    Does not helps because I don't know how to mount the remote share with a user and multiple groups (the uids and gids are not the same across the systems). The gvfs from Gnome seems to be able to resolve to the remote groups correctly but it seems that on the newer Gnome the gvfs does not exist on disk anymore - just read that which means a dead end for me with this approach and forces me to synchronized uids and gids and use NFS..

I am pretty pissed right now.

Local system is client.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

From what I read, you are trying to connect to your samba server via SSH (SFTP) and mount it in Nautilus. However, it is not showing up in ~/.gvfs/ despite it actually mounting properly. This does work for me in 10.04, though there is definitely a possibility that it is an issue with 8.04. I know several years ago they did a rewrite of gvfs and screwed up some things for a time.

Have you looked into SSHFS? It allows you to automount the remote location using your fstab and also manually via command-line. It's not as pretty as using the GUI, but it should at least get you up and running.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS
    XBL Status: Xbox Live friend notifications for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by twisted_steel View Post
    From what I read, you are trying to connect to your samba server via SSH (SFTP) and mount it in Nautilus. However, it is not showing up in ~/.gvfs/ despite it actually mounting properly. This does work for me in 10.04, though there is definitely a possibility that it is an issue with 8.04. I know several years ago they did a rewrite of gvfs and screwed up some things for a time.

Have you looked into SSHFS? It allows you to automount the remote location using your fstab and also manually via command-line. It's not as pretty as using the GUI, but it should at least get you up and running.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS
    SSHFS does not work with ACL.

Have any idea of how to fix that gvfs under 8.04 ? Or whom to talk to? I really want to avoid nfs.

Beans

You question was never answered here. Did you ever find a solution to this?

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cahalsall View Post
    You question was never answered here. Did you ever find a solution to this?

Regards
    What solution are you looking for? The above (year old) discussion is about something that can't be done. The protocol SMB (CIFS) is not SSH (sFTP).
    -BAB1