Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot change screen brightness with 10.4

Beans

Question Cannot change screen brightness with 10.4

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my laptop (Toshiba Qosmio G40) It recomended I install the new Nvidia driver version 195.36.15 after rebooting the picture was much better but know I can't change the screen brightness. Under the default screen driver on the live CD it was working.
    My graphics card is NVidia GeForce 8600M GT using Nvidia.
    The hot keys work as it shows the image in the top right that looks like it is altering the back-light but nothing actually changes.

Is there an easy fix for this? It doesn't sound like a big deal but is very annoying.
    The guy who said "there is no such thing as a free lunch" must have been a windows user!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cannot change screen brightness with 10.4

I'm having the same problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1474494

Toshiba u500 nvidia g210m

On windows to enable brightness control, in driver inf is added registry dword key EnableBrightnessControl=1, if that key doesn't exist, the brightness control doesn't work so,
    I find that there is no EnableBrightnessControl in /proc/drivers/nvidia/registry. My thinking is if I manage to add it there that brightness will work, the problem is that I don't know how to add it there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by strikoo View Post
    I'm having the same problem.

Toshiba u500 nvidia g210m

On windows to enable brightness control, in driver inf is added registry dword key EnableBrightnessControl=1, if that key doesn't exist, the brightness control doesn't work so,
    I find that there is no EnableBrightnessControl in /proc/drivers/nvidia/registry. My thinking is if I manage to add it there that brightness will work, the problem is that I don't know how to add it there.
    That file seems to be locked, I tried [alt]+[ctrl]+f1 then sudo nano /proc/nvidia/driver/registry but when I tried to write out the file I got IO error.

must be another way to set this.
    The guy who said "there is no such thing as a free lunch" must have been a windows user!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by toogooda View Post
    That file seems to be locked, I tried [alt]+[ctrl]+f1 then sudo nano /proc/nvidia/driver/registry but when I tried to write out the file I got IO error.

must be another way to set this.
    This cannot be edited because it is created every time system boots.

Beans

Bump,

Anyone else having this issue?

Beans

This issue specifically related to the Nvidia 195.36.15 driver as it only happens when installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Similar problem here. Today I did update to 10.04.

My laptop is HP ProBook 4710s.

Shortcuts for volume control, web browser etc. are working fine. But not brightness control (nothing showing when pressed).

My graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330, so problem doesn't seem to be related with nVidia in my case.

Hope this will be solved somehow, changing brightness on laptop is a normal functionality used every day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is a solution for toshiba laptops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi friends.

I cannot change the brightness on a custom Sony Vaio VGN-FW4 series laptop (model PCG-3H1M) running a fully updated Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), too. It has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphic chip. When i try the Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 buttons, nothing happens at all - no OSD and no brightness change. Using the (somehow jumpy) gnome brightness applet, doesn't change anything either.

The strange thing is, that brightness control was working perfectly with Ubuntu 9.10 (64 bit) on this Sony laptop, so my distribution update to 10.04 somehow broke it. Maybe it's a kernel thing (brightness control working with 2.6.31-21.59 amd_64, not working with 2.6.32-22.33 amd_64). Maybe I shouldn't forget to tell you that I have some things installed here, that might also interfere somehow with ACPI/brightness control... the lm-sensors and gnome-sensors stuff to display CPU and HDD temperatures (currently working), compiz extra animations (currently working), ATI fglrx driver (currently working).

It seems to me like an ACPI and/or sony-laptop module problem?

There is an old blog post, providing a DSDT patch (unfortunately not confirmed working with Lucid Lynx) for Jaunty and Karmic here: http://vaioubuntu.wordpress.com/2009...de-for-jaunty/ - I can't test that patch again because there are "no free download slots" when trying to download it.

There is an old and archived (and therefore unfortunately a READ ONLY) thread in these forums ("Calling all Vaio owners"), see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465491

That thread starter provided a script that automatically gathers information (DSDT dump etc.) that the he wished to have posted there. Because of the READ ONLY status, I ran his script and posted the generated .tar.gz file as an attachment here. I will also try to inform that thread starter in a few minutes by PM, if possible.

In my /var/log/messages file I found these interesting lines..
    [..]
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 0.000000]
    AMI BIOS detected: BIOS may corrupt low RAM, working around it.
    [..]
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 0.334591]
    [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: ACPI brightness control misses _BQC function
    [..]
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 0.447243]
    Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in idle
    [..]
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 13.543325]
    [Firmware Bug]: ACPI(VGA) defines _DOD but not _DOS
    [..]
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 13.705675]
    [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.72.11 [Apr 8 2010] with 1 minors
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 13.707517]
    sony-laptop: Sony Notebook Control Driver v0.6.
    [..]
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 13.765221]
    input: Sony Vaio Keys as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:00/SNY5001:00/input/input5
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 13.765311]
    input: Sony Vaio Jogdial as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    May 10 17:29:05 linuropa kernel: [ 13.766419]
    sony-laptop: brightness ignored, must be controlled by ACPI video driver
    [..]

Does anybody have an idea how to get the brightness controls working again?

Thanks.

Condor
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I think you have a different issue to us as we all have OSD working when we hit the hot keys but it just doesn't change the brightness. Also both of us only got the issue after the new Nvidia driver was installed. If I remove it my brightness works (but I lose the 3d stuff)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast