Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A error occurred while mounting 0

Beans

Re: A error occurred while mounting 0

I am having the same problem here is the result from my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    /dev/sda6 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    0 0
    /dev/sda5 /media/Data ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /media/OS_Install ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey WorMzy,

A couple years ago, in this very thread, you gave me some good advice and sorted out an issue I was having with trying to mount two network shares automatically upon startup from a file server on my network. I set up the auto-mounts on a little netbook. You had me put in:

# This is the mount point for the Big-Brain Neuronics drive
    //Big-Brain/Volume_1 /media/Neuronics cifs username=guest,password=,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,c odepage=unicode,unicode 0 0
    # This is the mount point for the Big-Brain Mneumonics drive
    //Big-Brain/Volume_2 /media/Mneumonics cifs username=guest,password=,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,c odepage=unicode,unicode 0 0

which I already had in fstab, except I had the entries on two different lines, which confused fstab. You had me fix it so both entries were in one line each.

However, I have just set up a a dual-boot on my desktop PC with the same distro of Ubuntu. I literally copied those two lines from the fstab file from my netbook and placed them into the fstab file on my PC. I made sure that the mount folders were where they needed to be. However when I boot up, I get nothing.

So I dropped into a terminal and tried to manually "mount /media/Neuronics" and "mount /media/Mneumonics". For both tries I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //Big-Brain/Volume_1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
    need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

and

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //Big-Brain/Volume_2,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
    need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

Just for the hell of it, I changed the fs type in the fstab file to "auto" (without the quotes), in which case I get:

mount: special device //Big-Brain/Volume_1 does not exist

And then also for the hell of it I changed the fs to "proc" (also without the quotes) and then when I type mount /media/Neuronics it just jumps down a line back to the command prompt, as if it did it successfully, however nothing actually shows up on my desktop.

Any ideas? As of now, I've just changed it back to "cifs" on both entries.

In addition, I am trying to get an external USB floppy drive to work on either my netbook or my desktop in Ubuntu. In my netbook, I plug in the floppy drive and the floppy powers up and spins a bit but absolutely nothing happens on the netbook. On the desktop, when I plug it in, the drive clicks on for a minute and when I click on "Computer" in my list of devices (all my hard disks and stuff) "Floppy Drive" shows up. If I double click it, absolutely nothing happens (as opposed to if I double click one of my hard disks, it goes into the drives root directory). The floppy doesn't click on or anything, either. If I unplug the drive, "Floppy Drive" disappears from the list. I know for a fact that the drive is good because it works fine under windows and shows up in BIOS and I use it to flash BIOS and/or boot into OS's. I've tried to set up a mount point with fstab (using /mnt and /media) but I can't use fd0, I reckon because the floppy drive isn't connected to the motherboards floppy drive ribbon cable point.

I know I tend to ramble on a bit but I always reckon it's easier to give you all the information up front as opposed to having you need to ask me a bunch of questions. However, if there's anything I've missed or anything you need me to check, let me know.

Just want to say, any help you can throw my way is VERY much appreciated. Seriously.

Thanks in advance for your time and for any help you provide me!

Beans

However, I have just set up a a dual-boot on my desktop PC with the same distro of Ubuntu.
    By that, do you mean the exact same version (10.04) or do you mean a more recent version? If you have 10.04, make sure that you've installed the smbfs package.

Natty, Maverick and Oneiric, however, all have a separate package for the cifs utilities (cifs-utils), so make sure you've installed that instead of (or as well as) the smbfs package.

I'm not sure about the floppy drive. You might want to create a new thread about it. Try disconnecting the floppy drive, then reconnecting it and then running
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    paste the output into a new thread, and I'll take a look at it.

@jake91: Sorry for the late reply, if you're still waiting for an answer, it appears that your problem is that the folder "/export/jacob" doesn't exist; try recreating it.

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /export/jacob
    @killerkhatiby009: Sorry for the late reply, if you're still waiting for an answer, you just need to delete the third line ("0 0") from your fstab

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WorMzy,
    How are you so awesome?

Still no go on the floppy but yeah, I'll start a new thread.

Got my network shares working now though...

Not to sidetrack the thread, but any good reason to upgrade 10.10 to Natty Narwhal?

Beans

I eat my vegetables. ;)

Well, 10.10 will only be supported up until April next year, but that's when the next LTS (Long Term Support -- supported for three years) version is expected to come out, soooo, you can upgrade now if you want (you'll have access to more up-to-date applications), or, if you're comfortable using 10.10, you can wait for it to "expire", then upgrade to the LTS release.

Also, 11.04 (Natty) and 11.10 (Oneiric) both use the Unity desktop environment by default, so you might want to check that out on a LiveCD before you make the plunge and upgrade. I believe that you can choose to use the classic GNOME2 environment in 11.04, but I'm not sure whether that'll be available in 10.10 (GNOME 3 was released in April, and the GNOME 2 environment was effectively killed off by the GNOME developers)

Anyway, that command I posted regarding your floppy wouldn't have any effect on the problem itself, it'd just provide some information about whether the system is recognising it correctly or not.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Hey guys I am having an issue with boot and have the similar problem with "A error occurred while mounting 0" after I skip that I have another error which states "serious errors with mounting sdb1"

Here is my fstab
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=15885993-bac4-44f1-9472-dc4c09ffb39e / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=4fd873c2-da6c-4179-94c2-907f6241409d none swap

sw 0 0

/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ntfs nls=iso8859-1,umask=000 0 2

This is the blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="15885993-bac4-44f1-9472-dc4c09ffb39e" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="4fd873c2-da6c-4179-94c2-907f6241409d" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Expanded Disk" UUID="1094C4C294C4AB92" TYPE="ntfs"

I am brand new to Ubuntu and have only been using it for a few days. I appreciate the information in here and have attempted a few changes shown in earlier posts but still no luck.

Beans

Oh well I reinstalled ubuntu and started over again unfortunately I had to do that.

Beans

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away on holiday for the past week and a bit. The problem was these lines:

Code:
    UUID=4fd873c2-da6c-4179-94c2-907f6241409d none swap

sw 0 0
    I guess it's a little late now, but in case you were wondering, those lines should have just been one:

Code:
    UUID=4fd873c2-da6c-4179-94c2-907f6241409d none swap sw 0 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234