Thread: Upgrade problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Upgrade problem

Hello Everyone

I was so impressed by the screen-shots of 10.04 LTS that i wanted upgrade via the update manager( am using karmic 9.10).Everything went well with downloading the new packages till the point of installation of downloaded packages.Halfway through the installation power went off and when i restarted the system it was stuck at some point with the message
    Code:
    mount:nothing to mount in /dev
    or something like that.Then i restarted the system in recovery mode and ran "dpkg" to fix broken packages hoping it would fix the issue.It did to some extent that i was type the problem here through the affected system.

The problem is i couldn't send the crash report the first time around and i can't get hold of it now.My system is somewhere between karmic and lucid ("About Ubuntu" shows as karmic and System Monitor shows it as lucid").So i how do i get a clean installation of lucid?

help me out

TIA
    C.S.Shreeram
    Last edited by csshreeram; May 6th, 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Beans

Re: Upgrade problem

So you can login to the desktop? If so run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Those could even be run after selecting "netroot" from Recovery Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Upgrade problem

woohoo

That worked like a charm.Now fingers crossed,will upgrade my hardy laptop also.One annoying thing is the so many versions on the grub every time a update is done.Are they all necessary? if not how can i get rid of them and keep the latest one alone.Thnx(should i start a new thread for this?)

Thanks again

Shreeram