Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No M-Audio Fast Track Input, no readable system output in JACK

Beans

Re: No M-Audio Fast Track Input, no readable system output in JACK

Wow Pablo, thank you for being so kind and providing all this information... one thing that hasn't changed in the 3 years I've been away from Ubuntu, is the community seems to be as nice as ever (or more!). I will review all the information and links you have so kindly provided.

One question before I dive into all of this... How would I find out the differences between Tango Studio and Ubuntu Studio? Any links I could check out that compares the two? I may just partition the disk and have multiple installs so I can try both, but I don't know how much effort I want to spend on both.. I'd probably want to learn one and stick with it...

Do you recommend Tango OVER Ubuntu Studio?

Thanks again!
    Bristen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Bristen,

Both Tango Studio and UbuntuStudio are basically ubuntu, as they share the same repos.

In fact, the main difference is the ubuntu version they are based on. Tango Studio Karmasutra is based on ubuntu 10.04 (aka lucid) whereas the current UbuntuStudio is based on 10.10 (aka maverick).

This does not necessarily mean that Tango is less up to date with regards to (some) audio production tools as this is the field Tango is good at.

In adition, lucid is better supported by community members who package bleeding edge versions of programs through PPA's. Of course, PPA's for lucid are compatible with Tango Studio.

If you use the PC mainly for music creation (even if you can always install more programs not related to music) I recommend Tango Studio as your first distro (march 2011).

Cheers, Pablo

Beans

just a quick progress report... Since I had Ubuntu Studio installed, I decided to mess around with it a bit... I disabled the on-board sound card from BIOS as recommended and starting to grasp what JACK is all about after quickly reading a few things... I'm not sure, but I think everything appears to be working right now! I was able to record a quick track in Audacity and Ardor and Rakarrack appears to be working fine.

I'm just I'll hit more roadblocks, but so far so good... thanks!

Regards,
    Bristen.

Beans

This is a helpful discussion here.

Just for my two cents, I've been using pulse-jack with Lucid 10.04, and it's been great with my Fast Track Pro. It's nice for having all my audio (listening and production both) coming out the same place, and being able to switch back and forth, or input pulseaudio into recording software.

I've also been using the Launchpad PPA from falktx, and the audio software available on that is nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12