Thread: Dimensons for PanP AC Adapter

Beans

Dimensons for PanP AC Adapter

So, I want a spare AC adapter for my Pangolin (which I love, by the way). I've seen the various posts on this forum suggesting a Targus adapter, but I already bought an adapter off eBay, ensuring that the voltage and amperage matched.

I also tried to measure the length and diameter of the plug, to ensure it would fit into the laptop itself. Unfortunately, I must have messed it up, since the plug does not fit. (I measured an internal diameter of 1.7mm.)

What are the 'official' measurements of the PanP AC adapter plug? While I could buy a universal adapter, I would much rather buy one with matching output (power & plug), as it's likely to be cheaper, and I don't really need a universal adapter.

So - what plug diameter (internal & external) and length should I look for?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dimensons for PanP AC Adapter

Can you use the standard replacement or are you looking for something more economical?

http://www.system76.com/product_info...products_id=70
    Last edited by Eldera; April 1st, 2010 at 12:06 AM.

Beans

I'm looking for something a little more economical. $56 for a laptop charger? C'mon System76, surely you can do a bit better on the price?

An Ubuntu logo on there would at least make it worthwhile - I'd buy one if it looked cool. But it just looks like any other, so I'm hoping to find an equivalent at a better price...

Thanks for the reply though, Eldera!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Bought it. Unfortunately the plug (at the laptop end) is the wrong size on this one too... so now I'm 0 for 2.

Can you get the actual dimensions of the plug from your hardware supplier?

Thomas - If you could also find some way to differentiate the adapter that you sell on the site - brand it with Ubuntu, I'd happily buy it. Get a stencil and spray-paint the Ubuntu logo on it, and I would love it.

But it's kinda hard to justify $56 + at least $12 shipping for an extra plain black adapter. Yes, I know that I've got the wrong one twice now, but surely once I do find the correct generic one it'll still only cost me about $20?

Thomas - what do you suggest next?

Beans

OK, I just realized that branding things with the Ubuntu logo may not be possible for legal / copyright reasons, but it still would be cool if you could get permission...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Jozza The Wick View Post
    OK, I just realized that branding things with the Ubuntu logo may not be possible for legal / copyright reasons, but it still would be cool if you could get permission...
    I think some of their past laptops had the Ubuntu logo on them, so I'm sure it's possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Bought it. Unfortunately the plug (at the laptop end) is the wrong size on this one too... so now I'm 0 for 2.
    Are you sure you got the right one? I pulled that number right off of a PanP adapter.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Ahhhh... good call. The number on the adapter isn't the one you gave me - though I did order the correct one! I've contacted the vendor and will be getting it exchanged - thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Another thing I just realized.

The adapter from online is an Acer. The one for the Pangolin is a LiteOn. But the model numbers are the same.

It *should* work, but please report back here on whether or not it does.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC