Thread: Computer won't shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Computer won't shutdown

When I shut it down the screen goes black, and the keyboard LEDs are turned off. Even the power button on the tower is not lit, but I can hear sound coming from the tower like it is still running. I have to pull the plug to turn it off. I have a system 76 meerkat nettop with Ubuntu 9.10. One day I hibernated my system and I think this is how the issue began. I am new to Linux so I have no idea what the problem is.

Beans

Re: Computer won't shutdown

Do you have any CIFS or NFS shares mounted when you power it off? Up until 9.10 I found Ubuntu would hang forever when I tried to turn it off with these shares mounted in the same manner you're describing (black screen, etc..).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I haven't replied but I have two jobs and almost no free time! I am still learning how to navigate these forums. In response to your question, I don't think I have anything mounted. The computer's power button and the keyboard look as if the computer is off, but I hear a sound coming from the tower like it is still running. When I push the power button to turn it on, it won't do it. I have to unplug the power cord and to plug it back in before pushing the power button in order to turn it on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The next time that happens, let it run for a few minutes, then shut it down. Then turn it back on, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run this command

Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog >> ~/Desktop/syslog.txt
    This will create a file on your desktop that you can attach to this thread. Also, make note of the time on your system clock when the computer comes back up.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC