Thread: E-mail problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question E-mail problem.

I have just up-dated to ubuntu 10.4 without any apparent problems until I tried to send an E-mail using Thunderbird.It refused to send it "unable to authenticate SMTP server. (SMTP-AUTH),You have chosen to use authentication. 'untick Use name & password'" I have never used that sort of thing and I cannot find anything to un-tick. My server settings show --connection security--none and use secure authentication as not ticked.
    I can only suppose that the Ubuntu up-date has upset something---can anyone advise and help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: E-mail problem.

Try it at "Edit" / "Manage Profiles". Then select the last item (SMTP) from the list on the left, select your profile, and click on "Edit".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kinda a thunderbird trouble not ubuntu
    but
    in tbird
    click edit
    account settings
    server settings ( on left)
    and set connection security to NONE
    and un check below that "use secure connection"

then on the bottom left click the Outgoing server (smpt)
    then on right click "edit"
    and make sure it is set up the same as above\

hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: E-mail problem.

Thanks to pi24 & the.phantom, but I am still shut out of sending E-mails.
    There does not seem to be a "Manage profiles" under the Edit. As I stated the Server settings are exactly as 'phantom'said---and these are also correct in the Outgoing server.
    I agree it seems to be a Thunderbird problem, but it was OK before I up-graded to 10.04,and it is OK on my XP partion,so it definitely looks to be something to do with 10.04!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by pensioner77 View Post
    Thanks to pi24 & the.phantom, but I am still shut out of sending E-mails.
    There does not seem to be a "Manage profiles" under the Edit. As I stated the Server settings are exactly as 'phantom'said---and these are also correct in the Outgoing server.
    I agree it seems to be a Thunderbird problem, but it was OK before I up-graded to 10.04,and it is OK on my XP partion,so it definitely looks to be something to do with 10.04!!
    'Edit>Account Settings' select 'Server Settings' on left for each account. OK I see what you're saying. Have you tried with a new profile?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: E-mail problem.

Thank you everyone; I think that the problem has occurred because ubuntu 10.04 up-grade also up-graded Firefox!! Although all my checks on the settings seemed to show no authenticity requirements, I have found that even though the Outgoing server shows authentication none when I pressed edit, it showed "name & password" as ticked,which of course when removed, all is back to normal.
    Thanks again everyone for your patience and help.