Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In defence of the Command Line Interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: In defence of the Command Line Interface

You can learn Python-Fu and Script-Fu and do complex massive photo editing using only CLI.

If you know Python you know Python-Fu, BTW that is something that Photoshop cant do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I understand where you are coming from and agree.

However I feel the need to point out that Windows has had, and still does have, an very extensive command line interface. While it is not on the same level as the one found in Linux it is not only there but very powerful.

The issue is not that a CLI is not in Windows, or even that it would not be the most efficient way to help users. The problem is that most average windows users are tied into a specific mindset that ether has them just suffer with problems, use system restore or other GUI based alternative, or get the computer fixed at one of the many quick fix shops you can find in nearly any large technology chain store.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In defence of the Command Line Interface
    I didn't know the CLI was being attacked...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    any new user coming from windows has done this...I remember I did for about a week and not knowing any Linux commands.

Now I keep typing ls in windows command prompt and getting pissed...lmao
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    You can learn Python-Fu and Script-Fu and do complex massive photo editing using only CLI.

If you know Python you know Python-Fu, BTW that is something that Photoshop cant do.
    So writing a script to import a photo, create a new layer to add text, paste in text taken from a OpenOffice doc, add that text and colour it red, yellow and green, then change the font for each letter, then add a drop shadow to the text, select the top right quarter of the photo and add Gaussian blur to it is easier in the CLI?

I seriously doubt it!!! So as I say, the CLI has it's place and if it works for you, use it. Linux is as much about using the rights tools for the right job s it is about being a Linux guru.

Quick question. How many here don't actually have a GUI installed? At work I administer a SCO 5 Unix box. No GUI and I certainly apprentice firing up my Gnome or KDE desktop!
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Hidden!

I think if you want to use Linux you've got to accept that you will probably have to open up a terminal here and there (that's of course if you're setting it up, not someone else doing everything for you).

Of course, if you don't like that, nothing wrong there. If you absolutely HATE it and you don't have someone to set it up and fix it for you, I'd say go with Windows or Mac. I however think it's incredibly convenient. I like doing administration, configuring, etc from the command line, and having system settings in text files. I just prefer the simplicity of that approach (simple from a technical approach, not a usability approach).
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    So writing a script to import a photo, create a new layer to add text, paste in text taken from a OpenOffice doc, add that text and colour it red, yellow and green, then change the font for each letter, then add a drop shadow to the text, select the top right quarter of the photo and add Gaussian blur to it is easier in the CLI?

I seriously doubt it!!! So as I say, the CLI has it's place and if it works for you, use it. Linux is as much about using the rights tools for the right job s it is about being a Linux guru.

Quick question. How many here don't actually have a GUI installed? At work I administer a SCO 5 Unix box. No GUI and I certainly apprentice firing up my Gnome or KDE desktop!
    If you're doing it a lot of times, then I'm sure that once you know how to do it it's way easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you're doing it a lot of times, then I'm sure that once you know how to do it it's way easier.
    It's not! In a GUI I can do that in seconds, to write a PyScript that would take minutes not including debugging.

As I said, I have to administer a SCO 5 UNIX server for a living so I know the CLI in depth both UNIX and Linux.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 98cwitr View Post
    any new user coming from windows has done this...I remember I did for about a week and not knowing any Linux commands.

Now I keep typing ls in windows command prompt and getting pissed...lmao
    No. We get very few users saying "the CLI is terrible and should disappear." Most just don't want to use it themselves, and would prefer having a GUI available for all common tasks. That's very different.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    You are correct, it was not being attacked. I wanted to highlight the benefits of CLI.

To the other posters, actually, I didn't know there was a powerful CLI in Microsoft Windows. I don't think I ever used it. Perhaps Windows will now be catching up, so we'd better watch out!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast