Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

I have the same problem. I upgrade from 9.10, everything went fine. But after a while between 2-8h (i was downloading something) it locked up. Nothing on the screen, the system doesnt seem to react to any keyboard or mouse input. I have to manually reset to bring it back. Yesterday, it happened again after 1h while waiting to shutdown (sudo shutdown -hP +120) and then even the reset button doesnt bring it back, I have to unplug the power cable and plug it back to restart the machine. I doubt if it's hardware issue since my windows 7 is running just fine.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated. BTW, i i'm running 32x kernel with pae.
    Thanks in advance

Beans

I dualboot ubuntu 10.04 with Vista

first everything worked alright but after I installed ntfs-config to automount my ntfs partitions and rebooted, everytime I accessed my partition or another place on the hard drive the systems freezes.
    But I can still use my mouse.

Also it unfreezes, and freezes again

Hope we can find a solution very fast, because I do all my work on ubuntu and I hate working with vista!

Greetz,

Beans

Linux Freezing

HELP! Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) Freezing and hanging for several seconds when I click on a page, file, etc., both on-line and off-line. Running Nvidia graphics card on a Dell M6400, Precision Workstation. This is driving me crazy! What to do? Would be deeply grateful for help. Alot of people seem to be having this problem, but I have not seen any posts with a solution. HELP! Must we wait for a stable release of 10.04? bigjeff1002@yahoo.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeff1002 View Post
    Linux Freezing

HELP! Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) Freezing and hanging for several seconds when I click on a page, file, etc., both on-line and off-line. Running Nvidia graphics card on a Dell M6400, Precision Workstation. This is driving me crazy! What to do? Would be deeply grateful for help. Alot of people seem to be having this problem, but I have not seen any posts with a solution. HELP! Must we wait for a stable release of 10.04? bigjeff1002@yahoo.com
    hi;

you can try to disable compiz and/or the best would be to install 10.04 again and try to format your HDD using ext3 fs.

please try not using nvidia driver and let me know if you still have errors...

hope it helps

__z

Beans

In my case both using the live CD and installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my Intel based chipset motherboard freezes after logging in for several minutes. When I disabled compiz the freezing problems stops. I guess there is a problem between compiz and X server...

Beans

my problem is also same as wat raja is facing.......in failsafe mode it is working fine but it didnt show the network manager icon in it.....while it freezes in GNOME mode............ somebody with solution plz come up

Beans

Same here.

I've updated from 9.10 to 10.04 and I get freeze too when writing large files on my hdd.
    I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard with a P43 Intel Chipset.
    My GFX is ATI 4650 in PCIe Gen2.
    My HDD is a 500GB Samsung F2 running on the Native AHCI Intel Controller.

Beans

Does anyone else facing the same issue can post its configuration to try to cross our HW ?

Beans

Up

Beans

The simple fact to extract a big archive (rar/zip) from my local HDD to my local HDD make my computer freezing while the unrar is processing (it take about 25% of my CPU ressources) and I last in about 1 minute for a couple of GB archive which seems to be fine.

I do not have anything strange in dmesg.

Any help to find what's going on ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast