Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Toshiba Laptop U500 running hot

Beans

Re: Toshiba Laptop U500 running hot

The only way to make it work (and it works well after this trick) is to correct the error Vanoven pointed at on page 4. Then recompile the kernel.
    Ok, I extracted the dsdt table, fixed it (I have attached a copy, but I think I did it correctly) and compiled a kernel with that DSDT in it. When I boot, I canconfirm that the custon DSDT has been loaded:

Code:
    [    0.000000] ACPI: Override [DSDT-     A00], this is unsafe: tainting kernel
    [    0.000000] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
    [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT @ 0xbfd905c0 Table override, replaced with:
    [    0.000000] ACPI: DSDT c0a06bac 0C56C (v02 TOSASU      A00 00000001 INTL 20090123)

Now, without any special acpi boot option, the fan work.

However, the overheating issue is not solved: the fan work exteremly slowly (sometimes they speed up a bit), but the temperature still reaches 80-88 °C.

I really don't know what to do. May this be connected to the fact that I use the opensource driver for the ATI card?!?

I need to throw away this buggy rubbish... this is not acceptable
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, start doing it! In audacity, there is genius, power and magic.

Linux User #394997

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Toshiba Laptop U500 running hot

For people still struggling, or interested in running Linux on their Toshiba U500:

I wanted to let you know that everything is working perfectly on Debian 6 "Squeeze" !!! Brightness, fan, sound and most of the multimedia buttons !
    You'll have to download the wifi drivers though if you have a Realtek wlan card.

Ubuntu is supposed to be based on Debian, so I wish we could have it working on our favorite (?) distribution soon.

Does someone know where I could notice the developers that Debian did it, so that they could investigate and patch Ubuntu in consequence?
    Last edited by eLtOnI0; August 8th, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you, I will try that.
    I tried Fedora 15, same issue with the heat.

Beans

Be aware that I have only tried the KDE edition, but it shouldn't change anything.

Please report your experience here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    This might be a bit late but 10.10 has the Toshiba patch (kernel 2.6.35.24). No need to compile your own. Add 'acpi=copy_dsdt' to /etc/default/grub. Worked for me on Toshiba Satellite Pro L510.
    I'm having the overheating issue on a Satellite Pro U500 and Ubuntu 12.04 x64 ...
    what exactly do the parameter acpi=copy_dsdt?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread Closed.

Reason
    : Necromancy. Old thread put to bed.

If you have an issue, please post a new thread with a descriptive title and as much info as possible in the appropriate forum rather than attempting to resurrect this dinosaur 40+ posts deep. Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345