Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 false I/O errors and random freezes

Beans

10.04 false I/O errors and random freezes

So, I'm on about my fifth fresh install of Lucid Lynx with the exact same result every way I try it. Here's what happens:

After a fresh install, I begin going about my business. Surfing, setting accounts up, etc. At some point (it is completely random, sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes), the desktop will freeze up. The mouse will still be completely responsive, but clicking on stuff does nothing.

So, in that state, if I drop to terminal via CNTL+ALT+F1, I get a login prompt that I can't use because the screen begins filling up with endless 'Buffer I/O error on device sda3' and 'EXT-fs error' etc.

There aren't any issues with the drive. I was previously running 9.10 without issue, and just to make sure I have done another clean install of 9.10 in between one of the many 10.04 installs and it works fine.

I skimmed through dmesg but didn't see anything helpful. I don't really know where to start looking at this point. I've been googling for a while now, but have had zero luck finding anyone experiencing the same thing. I did see a couple forum posts that were kind of similar (frozen display but functional mouse), but those led no where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to drop back to 9.10.

Specs:

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
    Pentium D
    NVidia GeForce 7800

Beans

Re: 10.04 false I/O errors and random freezes

Oh, it might also be worth noting. After this happens, if I hard reboot and let it try to load again, it prompts that there are file system errors and asks if I want to fix them. Selecting fix end up showing that /tmp is unavailable and prompts you to wait or continue. I chose wait and after a few seconds it'll reboot normally. This seems to happen consistently every time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Your hard disk drive might be developing some problems. Check your HDD's health with disk utility (System->admin->disk utility). Click on the drive, choose smart data and run extended tests.
    If you know your disk's manufacturer (Samsung, Hitachi etc), go to their website, download disk checking tools and run them to reconfirm the results.
    Assuming /dev/sda3 to be an ext* partition and if the health of your disk is good, run this command from a liveCD without mounting that partition:
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sda3
    If this gives any errors, then run:
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try not to hard reboot.
    It just corrupts the filesystem and it has to recover on next boot as you have found.

Do this instead for a clean shutdown, do it slow with a second between each key and sometimes you have to do it twice but it generally works fine.

link...http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/12/12/ho...ll-else-fails/

Beans

Unhappy Re: 10.04 false I/O errors and random freezes

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was Drapes acting up, but I stopped it and still had freezing and I/O problems. It starts small, like firefox not loading a new webpage when I click on a link. Then the Desktop stops responding, and all of the terminals I can bring up won't let me login, just say things like:
    "3262.000096 end_request" and "I/O error /dev/sda sector 551783" and "Buffer I/O error on dev/sda1 logical block 2129920". I have run all scans on the drive, even random read/write tests and all SMART tests, and all come back clean (unless I hard reboot--will use REISUB in the future, thanks!). I really want to figure this out, but I am a total linux noob! I don't even know where to look for the error logs to help track down the problem. I consider(ed) myself knowledgeable when it comes to computers (mainly DOS and Windows), but linux has always made me feel inadequate. Thanks for any advice, especially along the lines where to find more info on error logs and how to read them. Hmm, maybe I'll type that into google and see where it leads me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Login to a virtual terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2. To get back into gnome, press Ctrl+alt+F7.
    In the virtual terminal, login and type "dmesg | less". You scroll forward and backward by using 'f' and 'b' keys. Use 'q' to quit. Check for any errors. Also go to system logs located in /var/log/ . Look at syslog using "less syslog". Similarly look at other logs Xorg.0.log, daemon.log, kern.log etc. Also, in your home directory, there should be a file called .xsession-errors. Take a look at that file.
    Note that if you encounter a freeze in gnome but if you are able to get to the virtual terminals, type "sudo service gdm restart" to restart gnome.

Beans

Crossing my fingers! It's been 46 minutes of "normal" activity and no freezing yet. It happened again before this interlude though. It was different though: I would click on an object in the panel or try to use a hot key to open anything, and a little pop-up window came up spelling out I/O error. Also, in a terminal (CTRL>ALT>F2) it was at the login prompt, but I would try to log in and nothing would happen for 1 or 2 minutes. Then the login prompt would appear as before! Is .xsession-errors in chronological order, with latest errors at the end of the file? Is it from the current session, or all sessions? Also, my install is on the Ext4 file system, should I switch back to Ext3 (if so then how).

Beans

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problems, with the OS that after the first 10-15 minutes starts to being glitchy,slow responsive and overall "ugly": i have placed a sysmonitor applet with I/O waits highlighted, and noticed large spikes and even I/O wait topping for several seconds, even minutes.
    I have tried what john newbuntu suggested in his 2 posts with no luck... My system is really new, consisting in an ASUS m4a785t-m motherboard with integrated graphics ati HD4200 (btw, noticed some improvements disabling fglrx and using open drivers), an AMd athlon2 x2 processor, 1G ddr3 ram and a 500G seagate barracuda.
    I have noticed that those spikes of IOwait happens when accessing HD, especially when launching applications.
    Any help is appreciated !

Beans

just to be more clear: i started wine installation via ubuntu software center: in the meantime i am browsing the internets and this forum, and firefx hung 3 times (grey window), while IOwaits spiked at 100% for entire minutes...

Beans

again, noticed how memory usage is almost 100%, with little use of swap, but sum all the memory used by the various processes (less than 200 MB) do not justify 700+ MB of used ram - i already detracted IGP shared memory

please say something

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast