Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Lucid/Gwibber from asking for login keyring password

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Stop Lucid/Gwibber from asking for login keyring password

Ok, I have Lucid working nicely now, and I've started using Gwibber, which seems to try to connect at login. The only problem is that I'm immediately asked for the login keyring password (which happens to be the same exact password I just entered to log into the machine). This happens every time I boot the machine.

Is there any way to make it stop asking me for this login keyring password? I just don't get why I have to enter the same password twice.

The message is:

Code:
    The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer.
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Beans

Re: Stop Lucid/Gwibber from asking for login keyring password

I had the same problem and this blogpost helped me:

http://davestechsupport.com/blog/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pritamps View Post
    I had the same problem and this blogpost helped me:

http://davestechsupport.com/blog/
    This is no help at all. You link to a blog but not to a specific post within this block that deals with this problem. Do you now expect that whoever follows this link must now read all of the entries in this blog in order to find the solution to the problem in question? Are you really trying to help or are you just directing people to this blog for own interest? If you do want to help then link to the blog entry that discusses the problem at hand. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

whenever I sign into Empathy I have to do the same thing...
    to get rid of it would be a cool.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It worked for me! I used the search function on that blog to find this:

http://davestechsupport.com/blog/200...sword-keyring/
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    It worked for me! I used the search function on that blog to find this:

http://davestechsupport.com/blog/200...sword-keyring/
    Thank you this is really helpful!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by germanix View Post
    This is no help at all. You link to a blog but not to a specific post within this block that deals with this problem. Do you now expect that whoever follows this link must now read all of the entries in this blog in order to find the solution to the problem in question? Are you really trying to help or are you just directing people to this blog for own interest? If you do want to help then link to the blog entry that discusses the problem at hand. Thank you.
    Whats wrong with you dude?

Thanks for the link. I was gonna use it, but I decided to just uninstall gwibber all together. If I want my social media updates I can just visit the website haha...
    Asus G73JW ROG-A3B7M
    Intel Core i7 || 16GB RAM || 802.11n+BT || 2 x 500GB Hybrid Drives || Nvidia GTX 460M

Beans

There's actually an easier way to do it. The post's method is a bit messy. An alternative(which doesn't involve deleting your passwords is to go to applications menu-->accessories-->passwords and encryption keys. In the window that comes up, go to the collapsible thing that says "passwords", right click, and click change password. It has the same effect as the post, only this way you keep your saved passwords.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by dark.power View Post
    There's actually an easier way to do it. The post's method is a bit messy. An alternative(which doesn't involve deleting your passwords is to go to applications menu-->accessories-->passwords and encryption keys. In the window that comes up, go to the collapsible thing that says "passwords", right click, and click change password. It has the same effect as the post, only this way you keep your saved passwords.
    +1 thats the norm for removing the password to your Gnome Key ring.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans

Smile Re: Stop Lucid/Gwibber from asking for login keyring password

It's amazing how fast Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04) can wake up from Suspend, if you get the settings right. Takes about 1 second on my Netbook (Eee), about the same as a Macintosh waking from Sleep. This is handy many times. But it could be better.

To get the fast response you need to get rid of the password box (the one this thread is complaining about). But to kill it for Suspend, I had to turn off screen lock entirely, in a lockdown menu. Here are the steps to do so:

(1) Alt-F2 to get to the "Run Application" box.

(2) Enter gconf-editor followed by the Enter key (or the Run button).

(3) Open desktop (not apps).

(4) Open gnome.

(5) Click lockdown.

(6) Then check the box disable_lock_screen.

You can reverse this any time by unchecking the same box.

The drawback is that you lose the security of locking the screen. You can still get similar security by logging out -- anyone who steals your computer would need your password to log in. Though neither security is all that good, unless you also have your files encrypted.

So now I set my netbook to Suspend when the lid is closed (System -> Preferences -> Power Management (both for AC Power, and for Battery Power). Then to turn on the computer and return to your work immediately, just open the lid and tap the space bar.

Then when you end your session, you have three main choices:

1. Just close the lid, and later you can get back to where you were within 2 seconds;

2. Logout to maximize security; or

3. Hibernate to use no battery power.

What I want is to only turn off the screen lock (and the password request) on Suspend, but not on Hibernate or Restart (which take long enough anyway that the extra time to type the password doesn't matter much). I've tried a number of settings without success. Does anyone know how to do this?

--
    John S. James
    RepliCounts.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast