Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to turn ACPI off

Exclamation How to turn ACPI off

HI to install Ubuntu I need to acpi=off. Here are my system specs before I go any further:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...505D-S5983.pdf

So I read other stuff on how to turn it off but it says to do f6 and whenever I press that it just boots normally! I want to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with my live cd I've tried it on another pc and also tried a bootable flash drive with the same thing. I do see the start up of the purple thing then it goes into that. But unlike the pc i booted the live cd in that worked it didn't start loading it just gave me [a bunch of errors inside of these] HELP

Beans

Re: How to turn ACPI off

Have a look at "BootOptions" - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

It could initially be a case of clicking F6 on startup.

Exclamation Re: How to turn ACPI off

NO!!!!!!!! I can't even get to that!

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: How to turn ACPI off

EDIT: FORGET ME INITIAL REPLY HERE - I WAS WRONG.

I see now I mis-read your initial post, and so my reply here was wrong. I have edited to remove that text, and am adding a new post so it gets bumped back up.

Sorry!

Dave

BTW - please avoid things like
    NO!!!!!!!!
    , as even though we know you are frustrated (we've all been there), it is usually taken as a rude reply. You should say something like "You'll have to excuse me for being frustrated - I really want this to work. When I try to do that I am unable to get to the options menu and instead the PC just boots. Thank you in advance.". You have to remember everyone is just volunteering their time here, and while there are *many* experts here, some of us like myself have gotten help for our problems and are just trying to help others as best we can as we try to grow also. Thanks!
    Last edited by anewguy; May 4th, 2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: I HAD IT WRONG

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: How to turn ACPI off

I think I mis-read your initial post - are you saying that when you attempt to boot the LiveCD you never get to the screen where it asks for you to select the language and either try Ubuntu or install Ubuntu? After re-reading, I think that's what you are saying. So, a couple of questions:

- do you get the purple screen?

- does that screen have the work Ubuntu on it and do the dots alternate red/white?

- can you catch any of the error messages? What do they say?

If indeed you can't even get the LiveCD to boot, you may want to try downloading the alternate CD (text based) and try installing from that.

Sorry for mis-reading your initial post!

Dave

Smile Re: How to turn ACPI off

Ok, after a lot of stress becuase I thought I lost win 7 I have dual boot somewhat set up! So to run Ubuntu I must go to the command line and say "acpi=off" then it will run. If I want to run windows 7 I must insert my recovery point disk. (not iso image of win 7) strange huh and srry for getting mad I wasn't mad @ you but at my self!!
    A frillybob since he hit the earth many, many, many, years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: How to turn ACPI off

@frillybob

Why did you start another thread dealing with almost the same issue? You could have continued with your original thread and asked the same question, as several of us were trying to help you. This can cause confusion. Please try to keep things in one thread if they are dealing with the same issue, thank you.

That being said, have you taken a look at your original thread? I posted a suggestion there that may help but may not as it wasn't about your AHCI.

Also, are you sure that you need to disable ACPI in order to boot from the CD/USB? What lead you to come to that conclusion?

I can understand your frustration as I have been there too but with a little patience and determination, eventually the issue will get solved.

-Spydey

P.S. Have you tried using WUBI first? Just a thought/idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: How to turn ACPI off

Quote Originally Posted by frillybob View Post
    Ok, after a lot of stress becuase I thought I lost win 7 I have dual boot somewhat set up! So to run Ubuntu I must go to the command line and say "acpi=off" then it will run. If I want to run windows 7 I must insert my recovery point disk. (not iso image of win 7) strange huh and srry for getting mad I wasn't mad @ you but at my self!!
    Awesome! I am glad to hear that you got it working. That is strange that you have to use your recovery disk to get back into windows. Up until now the only OS that you have installed is Win7, right? And you were running ubuntu form the live cd/uusb, right?

-Spydey

Re: How to turn ACPI off

Well I started a new thread becuase no one was anwering it! I waited several hours and knew that starting a new thread would be faster. Sorry. I'm going to restore back to defults without ubuntu... then do it all over again with the other boot option you mentioned sydney..... oh man this is CRAZY! I'll reply back soon with the results.

P.S. If I don't respond dont' expect 1 back for a month becuase I'll probably have it sent back into toshiba! TTYL
    A frillybob since he hit the earth many, many, many, years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: How to turn ACPI off

Quote Originally Posted by frillybob View Post
    Well I started a new thread becuase no one was anwering it! I waited several hours and knew that starting a new thread would be faster. Sorry. I'm going to restore back to defults without ubuntu... then do it all over again with the other boot option you mentioned sydney..... oh man this is CRAZY! I'll reply back soon with the results.

P.S. If I don't respond dont' expect 1 back for a month becuase I'll probably have it sent back into toshiba! TTYL
    Not a problem. Try to keep us informed about what is going on, things you have tried, things that worked, and things that didn't.

I find it very very unusual that the live cd/usb won't boot up for you the right way unless you tun off your apci, that is strange. I have to have mine turned on or else it won't work. So there is definitely something wrong.

-Spydey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast