Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anybody upgrade from Karmic to Lucid via Upgrade Manager?

Beans

Smile Re: anybody upgrade from Karmic to Lucid via Upgrade Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    Anybody upgraded to Lucid an MBP5,1?
    Folks,

successful on-line upgrade here under Kubuntu Karmic Koala 64-bit to Kubuntu Lucid Lynx 64-bit

I've checked if grub is installed under /dev/sda (not /dev/sda3) and I got both before and after the upgrade:

Code:
    sudo file -s /dev/sda

/dev/sda: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0xee, starthead 254, startsector 1, 409639 sectors; partition 2: ID=0xaf, active, starthead 254, startsector 409640, 48565976 sectors; partition 3: ID=0x83, starthead 254, startsector 48975616, 58593751 sectors; partition 4: ID=0x83, starthead 254, startsector 107569367, 97656251 sectors, code offset 0x63
    Could this (sda vs. sda3 or some partition) be the problem why people end-up with broken grub?

Happy upgrading to everyone!

Beans

Re: anybody upgrade from Karmic to Lucid via Upgrade Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by npfthunfan View Post
    I had to do an upgrade because of my lack of working superdrive (won't read burned discs only pressed ones)... seems to work fine.
    Not sure why I did not read your post before (as it was before my question). So, you also did an on-line upgrade on the MacBook Pro 5,1 without problems?

Cheers!

Beans

I use MBP 5.3 aluminium unibody and it's been under BootCamp from the beginning - about 6 mont, all the time under 9.10.

I had a myriad of sorfware installed, including Wine, Apache, Tomcat, and a bagfull of other IDEs and tools.

Today I upgraded by hitting the "Upgrade" button in the Upgrade manager. After 2 hours of waiting and an initial blip with a wrong video mode that went away after 2nd setup, it all looks dandy. It all went really smooth.

Have not tested it all in detail yet.

On the downside - can't see my volume applet in the toolbar ;-(.
    Last edited by nmilyaev; May 14th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Going from Karmic to Lucid Beta 1 in VMWare virtual machine on a MBP 3,1 went fine, Beta 2 upgrade broke keyboard input - fixes found via forums, RC and final worked fine.

Going from Karmic to Lucid PowerPC port on Windtunnel G4 broke keyboard input and I could not find a work around to bring it back. Clean Lucid install fixed this and video worked out of the box in X for the first time ever. I think the only time an Ubuntu version upgrade on the Windtunnel worked was 8.10 to 9.04 and I still had to edit xorg.conf to get video working in X.
    Last edited by JoeMac42; May 14th, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Beans

I have a Compaq with an Athlon X2 that runs Ubuntu beautifully. Just upgraded from Karmic to Lucid without any issues. I was expecting to find a problem or too, but it went very smoothly. I was impressed by how easy it was.
    Great work Ubuntu! I love you guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12