Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 final + intel 855GM + upgrade disaster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.04 final + intel 855GM + upgrade disaster

There is some interesting upstream work that claims to fix many if not all of these issues.

For me - I followed the instructions in this bug description to upgrade my intel graphics with a new kernel. It fixed my issues. Worth a try..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jamsh View Post
    Is there going to be a simple fix for this?
    There's already a simple fix. It should be very well documented at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

There will not be any sort of updates released though that will "solve" this. The devs blacklisted KMS on i8xx cards to workaround freeze problems in those cards, but never expected that this would cause the breakage that it did for other users who weren't experiencing the freezes (because there's no reason for UMS not to work). So now the only way they could "fix" this is by potentially breaking systems that work with the packages installed in the release ISO, and Ubuntu hates releasing regressions into Ubuntu releases more than anything. So they decided to leave it as is and leave detailed instructions for working around the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From bug#568779 Here

This worked for my bricked laptop... works great again.

1. After power on your PC, press shift (keep press) until see boot loader menu. Choose a recovery mode option.
    2. On next step select start failsafeX session.
    3. Choose OK when advert for poor resolution.
    4. Login in, your are now on your desktop
    5. Open a terminal command line (Application > Accessories -> terminal)
    6. Type this command and press enter (without quotes):
    "sudo -i" and enter your password.
    7. Type this command and press enter (without quotes):
    "cd /tmp"
    8. Type this command and press enter (without quotes):
    "wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-rc5-lucid/linux-image-2.6.34-020634rc5-generic_2.6.34-020634rc5_i386.deb"
    9. Type this command and press enter (without quotes):
    "dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.34-020634rc5-generic_2.6.34-020634rc5_i386.deb"
    10. Type this command and press enter (whitout quotes):
    "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
    11 . Type this command and press enter (whitout quotes):
    "init 6"

Your computer restart with new kernel and intel driver updated and, hopefully, works without freeze.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by James Keating View Post
    If, like me, you can't boot after upgrading to Lucid, and can't boot off a Lucid CD, you need to

A) get a CD for a Ubuntu version before Lucid 10.04
    B) change your boot parameters
    C) optionally, install a newer kernel that fixes the Intel 8xx graphics problem

I have tried everything in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes and a number of other suggestions. I have only had success with this method.

A)
    1. Go to the Ubuntu Releases site, http://releases.ubuntu.com/
    2. Choose Karmic or 9.10 and download one of the desktop CD .iso files.
    3. Burn its contents to a 700 Mb CD.

B)
    Boot from that CD.

You must edit a boot file as root. Nautilus has no options for editing files as root, so you must use commands.

1. Open a terminal.

2. The easiest way to go from here is to start Nautilus as root with "sudo nautilus" and edit files the usual way, without running each editing command below.

You will need to edit the boot file on your hard drive, not on the CD. The CD makes this confusing, since directories will not be in their usual places.
    From the command line, your hard drive will be under /media/(long-nonsensical-name)
    From Nautilus, it will show under Places as "106 GB Filesystem" or something.
    If you have multiple partitions and there is more than one such listing, find the one that contains your home directory.

3. Navigate to /etc/default on your hard drive

4. Edit the file called grub
    sudo gedit grub
    On the line that begins GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, add i915.modeset=1
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash i915.modeset=1"

If your /etc/default/grub doesn't exist, you are using the old Grub.
    In that case, go to /boot/grub/ on your hard drive
    and edit the file called menu.lst
    There is one line that begins with # defoptions. Add i915.modeset=1"
    # defoptions=quiet splash i915.modeset=1

5. Save and run the command
    sudo update-grub

If gedit doesn't work, try another text editor. At the very least, nano should be present (control-o saves; control-x exits).

6. Reboot.

C)
    1. Go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and find the newest directory (I used v2.6.34-rc7-lucid)
    2. Download the kernel image and header files
    3. Install them from a terminal with the command
    sudo dpkg -i (kernelfilename.deb) (headersfilename.deb)
    or run sudo gdebi-gtk
    3. reboot and choose that kernel.

Running an old IBM thinkpad G40, updating the kernel worked, before I had no video playback though it is possible to boot into recovery mode, set i915.modeset=1 and then back into low graphics mode and run
    echo options i915 modeset=1 | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
    sudo update-initramfs -uin the terminal window:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes
    gets you on your feet, and this should get you walking.

Beans

hello everybody,

i am facing kinda similar problems on my machine (X86_64 bit and nvidia 8400GS).

i upgraded to lucid lynx 4 weeks back. after tthe installation was complete, it wanted a restart. when i restarted it, i could not see anything, not even the bios, neither the grub. nothing. not even live cd worked. i could though listen to the login sound.

i just removed my laptop battery and put it in again and the display worked for that time only. each time i had to take put my battery and put it in to start.

i managed with it for a few days, but wanted a permanant solution. i installed nvidia current version 195 from stnaptic. activated it hardware drivers under amin. it demanded a restart. i restarted my laptop and now its gone again.

the display has stopped working. it does not even show the bios menu, neither the grub. so no use of putting in a live cd. i ve checked and know its not a hardware fault. the trick with removing battery and putting it in does not work anymore.

i can log in to command line mode with the help of cntrl+alt+F3. i have tried some commands for removing the driver, but its not working. i even tried the SSH thing but could not run it successfully.

could you pls help me with this problem. i am ready to sacrifice my data on ubuntu partition. pls give me some solution.: confused:

Beans

i am exceptionally confused. i've had temporary success with a few of these solutions. starting with the documentation. i'm using an old compaq V2000.

my main failure is that the system crashes whenever i try to watch .avi files in movie player.

first i tried workaround A. that worked for a while, but i think a kernel update made that obsolete. i also did a workaround to restore the boot splash screen.

then i tried upgrading the kernel to 2.6.34 (workaround D), which worked, but with bugs. so i went to 2.6.35rc1, which didn't work at all.

so then i went back to using the stock kernel 2.6.32-22-generic and tried workaround F. first i did the "updated" method, but that prevented me from even fully booting. i ran safemode and restored default graphics. then i tried the more basic version and it worked.

so i decided to delete the other two kernels. i was tired of having to scroll down to 2.6.32-22 every time i booted. and now it doesn't work. so i ran in safemode to restore default graphics and then do workaround F again. it still won't work. so i'm kind of stuck, because i definitely have the video card described in workaround F.

any thoughts regarding why this only works some of the time? thanks.

robb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    It's explained very clearly in the Release Notes. You *do* read the Release Notes before you upgrade, right?
    are you serious who really does that?!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robb. View Post
    then i tried upgrading the kernel to 2.6.34 (workaround D), which worked, but with bugs.
    strangely, this is working for me now, without the bugs. i acknowledge that i must have done something wrong previously to cause the bugs and i inadvertently stumbled into doing it the right way this time.

whatevs. problems solved for me. however, if someone does have insight into why it would have worked conditionally for me previously, i'd like to know, for my edification. thanks.

robb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well, for me I may say that reverting back to kernel 2.6.31 worked for me. Now I'm just waiting for the new 2.6.34 kernel to arrive, hoping this video issue will get solved then.

Julio

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by James Keating View Post
    Though I read the release notes, I failed to note the warning, which was at the end of the notes, spoke of 8xx chips I didn't realize I had, and failed to have big blinking letters telling me that a machine that has been working fine for years was suddenly going to be rendered completely incapable of booting in any mode whatsoever.

I couldn't even boot off the CD. I had to boot from a 9.10 CD in order to make the changes.

I have tried, I believe, all the workarounds mentioned in various posts. None worked for me. Some spoke of getting a newer kernel, which I had tried but decided to try again.

Success!

This worked for me:

1) edit /etc/defaults/grub (as root, on the hard drive)
    2) add i915.modeset=1 to the default line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash i915.modeset=1"
    (Mine previously had i915.modeset=0 nomodeset, otherwise the machine froze on resuming)
    3) save and run the command update-grub (as root)

That let me boot. But my system still crashed if I attempted to run any kind of video with any program. Firefox and some other programs would get stuck as soon as they opened and leave trails all over the screen if I grabbed and moved them.

The new kernel fixed that:

4) go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and find the newest directory (I used v2.6.34-rc7-lucid)
    5) download the image and header files, and install them with dpkg -i or gdebi-gtk
    6) reboot and choose that kernel.

I've changed a post of mine below to expand the details of this.
    Hey James,

I do not understand step 6. After installing the headers and source I restart/reboot but I do not have a choice of kernel to choose from. It just loads Xubuntu right to the desktop. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    :adam

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast