Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Live CD stalls at black screen - 10.04 Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Live CD stalls at black screen - 10.04 Lucid

You might want to remove the mainline kernel through Synaptic and then try again. You can reinstall the mainline by using the same commands you did to install them originally, so there's nothing to worry about (updated instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes).

To remove it, go to Synaptic and search 2.6.34 and mark all for Complete Removal and then Apply. Make sure you're not in the mainline kernel when you remove it, as that would be bad

If you don't want to mess with your mainline kernel, I would contact Stefan Glasenhardt at stefan@glasen-hardt.de (from https://launchpad.net/~glasen) and ask him how to install the patch while the mainline is also installed. You might also want to tell him about your issue just so he knows it causes problems for those who use the mainline kernel as a workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    You might want to remove the mainline kernel through Synaptic and then try again. You can reinstall the mainline by using the same commands you did to install them originally, so there's nothing to worry about (updated instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes).

To remove it, go to Synaptic and search 2.6.34 and mark all for Complete Removal and then Apply. Make sure you're not in the mainline kernel when you remove it, as that would be bad

If you don't want to mess with your mainline kernel, I would contact Stefan Glasenhardt at stefan@glasen-hardt.de (from https://launchpad.net/~glasen) and ask him how to install the patch while the mainline is also installed. You might also want to tell him about your issue just so he knows it causes problems for those who use the mainline kernel as a workaround.
    OK,I´ve informed Stefan because I didn´t want to uninstall the mainline since it is the only way for me to communicate at this time!Hopefully we will hear from him soon!

Beans

Lucid has been the biggest disaster for me in ten years of using Linux. I am used to having problems, especially with upgrades, but this is the first time I have been unable to boot, even from the CD. I did read the release notes more than once, but I didn't recognize the Intel 8xx problem as relevant to my machine. I really didn't expect such a basic failure on a machine that has worked until now.

My laptop has an Intel 82852/82855 graphics controller. After upgrading to Lucid, booting ended in a frozen black screen. Booting from the CD was the same, but I could boot with the 9.10 CD and fix configuration files.

Once I got that fixed, thanks to the Ubuntu forums, running any video outside a browser completely froze the machine, requiring a hard reset. Some other programs, like Firefox, would start but immediately hang, leaving trails all over the screen if I moved them. Opera ran OK, and video inside it was fine.

I have tried nearly every kind of suggestion in a number of posts and in the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes page. A change to GRUB let me boot, and a newer kernel finally stop my machine from crashing whenever I tried to run a video.

If, like me, you can't boot after upgrading to Lucid, and can't boot off a Lucid CD, you need to

A) get a CD for a Ubuntu version before Lucid 10.04
    B) change your boot parameters
    C) optionally, install a newer kernel that fixes the Intel 8xx graphics problem

I have tried everything in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes and a number of other suggestions. I have only had success with this method.

A)
    1. Go to the Ubuntu Releases site, http://releases.ubuntu.com/
    2. Choose Karmic or 9.10 and download one of the desktop CD .iso files.
    3. Burn its contents to a 700 Mb CD.

B)
    Boot from that CD.

You must edit a boot file as root. Nautilus has no options for editing files as root, so you must use commands.

1. Open a terminal.

2. The easiest way to go from here is to start Nautilus as root with "sudo nautilus" and edit files the usual way, without running each editing command below.

You will need to edit the boot file on your hard drive, not on the CD. The CD makes this confusing, since directories will not be in their usual places.
    From the command line, your hard drive will be under /media/(long-nonsensical-name)
    From Nautilus, it will show under Places as "106 GB Filesystem" or something.
    If you have multiple partitions and there is more than one such listing, find the one that contains your home directory.

3. Navigate to /etc/default on your hard drive

4. Edit the file called grub
    sudo gedit grub
    On the line that begins GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, add i915.modeset=1
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash i915.modeset=1"

If your /etc/default/grub doesn't exist, you are using the old Grub.
    In that case, go to /boot/grub/ on your hard drive
    and edit the file called menu.lst
    There is one line that begins with # defoptions. Add i915.modeset=1"
    # defoptions=quiet splash i915.modeset=1

5. Save and run the command
    sudo update-grub

If gedit doesn't work, try another text editor. At the very least, nano should be present (control-o saves; control-x exits).

6. Reboot.

C)
    1. Go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and find the newest directory (I used v2.6.34-rc7-lucid)
    2. Download the kernel image and header files
    3. Install them from a terminal with the command
    sudo dpkg -i (kernelfilename.deb) (headersfilename.deb)
    or run sudo gdebi-gtk
    3. reboot and choose that kernel.
    Last edited by James Keating; May 26th, 2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: adding details

Beans

Hi,

sasaenator wrote an email to me, to inform me about this thread.

Some explanations to "my" patch :

• My DKMS-packages are based on the original patch from the bug-report. I've only backported it to the Lucid-kernel and wrote a DKMS-package so i could easily install the updated-modules on my hardware.
    • My DKMS-packages only work with the original Lucid-Kernels. They don't work with kernel version 2.6.32.12+ (Lucid-kernel is based in 2.6.32.11), 2.6.33.x, 2.6.34.x and all above (This means all current vanilla versions). So you have to compile your own kernel (which is btw very easy) to include the patch.
    • I've made two patches for kernel sources 2.6.32.13 and 2.6.33.4. If i find some spare time, i will also port the patch to kernel-version 2.6.34.
    • The intel-drivers from my PPA could help to improve stability on 855-based hardware but they mustn't. For me, they work nearly perfectly but other people suffer from more crashes when using KMS (Which is needed for driver-version 2.10+) than when using UMS. In most cases it seems that using the DKMS-package and stick to original Lucid-driver (2.9.1) is the best solution.
    • A newer kernel-version could improve the situation but mustn't. There are enough people out there where an updated kernel doesn't improve the situation. Sometimes it's getting even worse, because newer kernels are specialized to use KMS and not the old UMS-code.

I hope i could clarify some things. I'm sorry that my blog is mainly written in german. I've written an article some days ago, which explains how to install Lucid on 855-based hardware and i haven't found the time to translate it.

Greetings Stefan

Beans

Deleted
    Last edited by glasen; May 19th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

Deleted
    Last edited by glasen; May 19th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

Deleted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The patch steps I received were summarized as

summarized from http://glasen-hardt.de/

1. install the 855gm-patched kernel-modules
      1. include the 855gm-patched kernel-modules
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/libdrm
        sudo add-apt-reposority ppa:glasen/855gm-fix
      2. update, upgrade repo
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade
      3. install the 855gm-patched kernel-modules
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-generic 855gm-fix-dkms
      4. (OPTIONAL) Plymouth to Initial-Ramdisk, repare colour
        Code:
        echo "FRAMEBUFFER=yes" | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
        sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
    2. purge the 855gm-patched kernel-modules
      1. Code:
        wget https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa/+files/ppa-purge_0.2.6_all.deb
      2. Code:
        sudo dpkg -i ppa-purge_0.2.6_all.deb
      3. Code:
        sudo ppa-purge ppa:glasen/intel-driver
      4. Code:
        sudo ppa-purge ppa:glasen/libdrm
      5. Code:
        sudo ppa-purge ppa:glasen/855gm-fix

NO WARRANTY!! I am going to be testing this out at the DACS (computer club in Danbury, CT) Linux SIG meeting tonight!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

You've made one error :

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/libdrm
    You'll only need the "855gm-fix"-PPA to install the fixed kernel-modules. The "libdrm"-PPA includes an updated libdrm which is necessary to install the updated intel-driver from the PPA.

If you want to install the updated driver, you also have to include the driver PPA :

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
    The updated intel-driver is no "must", it's nice to have.

The updated intel-driver works only with KMS and will crash if the kernel is booted without it (i915.modeset=1).

To get around the black-screen-issue you have to use KMS or, when using UMS , you have to use a modified xorg.conf-file with the following content :

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "VGA"
        Option "Ignore" "true"
    EndSection
    These lines tell the Xserver to ignore the external VGA-adapter when initializing the driver. You can't use an external monitor any longer but the crash (Black screen) at startup disappears.

Additional notes to the package "855gm-fix-dkms" :

The patch included in the updated kernel modules slows down the graphics performance. In most cases you will only notice that e.g. scrolling in Firefox is somewhat slower. OpenGL and SDL-based applications seems not to be affected.

I've made an experimental package (named "855gm-fix-exp") which disables a function in the patched modules. This functions normally ensures that the cache is correctly written. The function is also the main source for the slowdown. Without this function graphics performance is nearly normal again.

On my notebook the modules with the disabled function work normally. This means it had no crash in two weeks, but i can't insure that it will also work stable on other hardware.

You can test the package but if your hardware is less stable than with the normal package, please stick to the normal package.

If you don't want to fiddle around with the configuration, you can try my custom Live-CD :

Live-CD of Ubuntu 10.04 with updated Intel-drivers and 855gm-patched kernel-modules

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you for all of your work. Those of us with this issue, I'm sure, are VERY grateful to not be left out!

My above steps were included in a mailing from 541511@bugs.launchpad.net which I received yesterday, from Thoer, so I am not going to be the only one trying this out I assume.

Just to make sure I have this right, I'll want to

Code:
    ## Add repositories
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver #(optional)

## Update 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

## Install 
    sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-generic 855gm-fix-dkms 

## use only if using KMS (i915.modeset=1) and is optional
    sudo apt-get install intel-drivers
    And then to get around the black-screen issue, have to use KMS (i915.modeset=1) or if using UMS you have to modify the xorg.conf file with
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "VGA"
        Option "Ignore" "true"
    EndSection
    And while this works, there is still some slow-down with things like scrolling in Firefox, which may be remedied by the experimental "855gm-fix-exp". Is this part of the glasen/855gm-fix PPA?

And then, there is the Live-CD with changes here : Live-CD of Ubuntu 10.04 with updated Intel-drivers and 855gm-patched kernel-modules

Thank you again for your work, and willingness to correct me here!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast