Thread: Theme icons change when locale is changed.

Beans

Theme icons change when locale is changed.

I installed Ubuntu for the ability to easily change the system wide locale and language settings.

However I've noticed a strange thing when logging in to my account with Japanese set as the language. Although I'm using the default "Ambiance" theme, the folder icons in Nautilus and some other styling seem to change to a different (much uglier) theme. For example on the top panel the network connection icon also reverts to an blue computer screen icon from the other theme, although other icons on the panel and the rest of the styling remains as the correct theme!

I'm now back in English locale, and my theme is normal again. In fact I don't even see the ugly other theme in the theme selector window. I haven't noticed this problem using other languages such as French and Russian.

It's only a stylistic theme, but it's really ugly and really bugging me. Has anyone got any suggestions what might be going wrong?

EDIT***********************

Ok I just logged back in again using the Japanese locale in order to post a screencap, and of course the problem has vanished now! I already logged in and out a number of times earlier to see if it would solve the problem and it didn't.

Well if anyone has ideas for when the problem next appears I'm still listening. (the ugly theme that tried to take over is called Clearlooks apparently. It's name has been translated into Japanese in the theme selection window while most of the others haven't, if that's a clue to someone).
    Last edited by kimangroo; May 4th, 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Problem went away? Hiding?

Beans

Re: Theme icons change when locale is changed.

Ok the problem is recurring. Sometimes all of the theme is wrong, sometimes only part of it, and that part that is wrong differs from occasion to occasion.

Two examples:

Nautilus window bar is in the correct theme, ambiance, the rest of the desktop and the icons are in the clearlooks theme.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Most of the desktop is in the correct theme, ambiance, the nautilus folder icons are in clearlooks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyone got any ideas?
    Last edited by kimangroo; May 5th, 2010 at 07:34 PM.