Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't paly dvds in lucid 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Can't paly dvds in lucid 64bit

Hello i just updated to lucid and i went to install medibuntu and following the instructions on this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu just like i did in Karmic but after i have done everything that i had to do in Karmic to get it to work i tried to play a dvd in totem and it pops up and says

The required software to play this file is not installed. You need to install suitable plugins to play media files. Do you want to search for a plugin that supports the selected file?

The search will also include software which is not officially supported.

No packages with the requested plugins found

The requested plugins are:

DVD subpicture decoder

I click ok and then the dvd starts to play and says internal data flow error

If anyone can help it would be nice thanks

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't paly dvds in lucid 64bit

Thanks i downloaded vlc and it works every now and then there is a slight glitch but nothing too bad

Beans

Beans

I've got the same issue as the original poster, after taking steps to install libdvdcss2 as outlined on the linked page. First totem searches for DVD subpicture decoder, can't find suitable plugin package, then starts to play the movie, but craps out with internal data error. This is a nasty bit of regression.

Beans

Following up, I tried installing the fluendo codec pack, and totem stopped looking for codecs, and started playing the movie of the dvd I tried. However, it was playing the wrong audio track (French track of "Moon"). Trying to change audio tracks resulted in silence, and totem would not go to the dvd menu or switch chapters.

I then uninstalled the fluendo codec pack, and installed gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegmux and gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux. Now the movie plays with the correct soundtrack, but menus still don't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(I hope you mean can't PLAY DVD's

I have a similar problem.

I have a DVD which plays fine under Karmic 32, but which doesn't decode properly under Lucid 64. It opens, can be navigated, VLC TRIES to play it, and even displays some recognizable bits of the film. But the screen is covered with improperly decoded blocks of noise and randomness. The sound is partially there too, but skips badly.

Same story with Movie Player.

XINE refuses to continue at all when it gets to the encrypted part, and gives a message about needing libdvdcss2 (which is, of course, installed).

What's going on? Is my processor not really high performance enough to do this in 64 bit mode? Should I try Lucid 32? Is libdvdcss2 lower performance in Lucid(64)? Why does this disc play just fine under Karmic and Vista (both 32 bit) but not Lucid?

I've tried to reinstall all the restricted stuff, but to no avail.

I want to use this machine specifically for media playing, and under Karmic, everything played fine.

Any ideas?

Hardware is Toshiba Satellite P105-S6197, Core2 Duo T5200 1.6GHz, 3GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mknepher View Post
    Following up, I tried installing the fluendo codec pack, and totem stopped looking for codecs, and started playing the movie of the dvd I tried. However, it was playing the wrong audio track (French track of "Moon"). Trying to change audio tracks resulted in silence, and totem would not go to the dvd menu or switch chapters.

I then uninstalled the fluendo codec pack, and installed gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegmux and gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux. Now the movie plays with the correct soundtrack, but menus still don't work.

You should try out VLC it worked for me. Let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pgwulfing View Post
    (I hope you mean can't PLAY DVD's

I have a similar problem.

I have a DVD which plays fine under Karmic 32, but which doesn't decode properly under Lucid 64. It opens, can be navigated, VLC TRIES to play it, and even displays some recognizable bits of the film. But the screen is covered with improperly decoded blocks of noise and randomness. The sound is partially there too, but skips badly.

Same story with Movie Player.

XINE refuses to continue at all when it gets to the encrypted part, and gives a message about needing libdvdcss2 (which is, of course, installed).

What's going on? Is my processor not really high performance enough to do this in 64 bit mode? Should I try Lucid 32? Is libdvdcss2 lower performance in Lucid(64)? Why does this disc play just fine under Karmic and Vista (both 32 bit) but not Lucid?

I've tried to reinstall all the restricted stuff, but to no avail.

I want to use this machine specifically for media playing, and under Karmic, everything played fine.

Any ideas?

Hardware is Toshiba Satellite P105-S6197, Core2 Duo T5200 1.6GHz, 3GB RAM

If you have no reason to use 64-bit and you don't have all kinds of files to back up matbe the 32 is worth a try it seems to have alot less problems than the 64 bit. hope this helps

Beans

Same problem occurs when trying to burn video DVD with Brasero. While trying to import VOB files Brasero raises an error complaining on the missing plugin (see screenshot)

No packages with the requested plugins found
    The requested plugins are:
    DVD subpicture decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast