Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning. . . Hole. . . Pocket --- Must. . . Buy. . . !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Burning. . . Hole. . . Pocket --- Must. . . Buy. . . !

Started looking for an outstanding Linux laptop about a year ago, and found the answer in System76 - Pangolin, specifically. That decision was made a couple of months ago. I've had the money saved for much longer than that.

At that time I thought, you waited this long, why not wait for the big changes in Lucid Lynx and get one all sorted out? So I did that.

Now a patient little common-sense voice says, Hey, a couple of weeks more won't hurt you, you've been waiting for a year - let the last few bugs get squashed, then pull the trigger! What's yer hurry?

BUT I DON'T WANNA WAIT ANYMORE!!! I don't care! I keep going to the build page and putting it together, again and again - I do it every day. I'm dribbling down my front at odd moments thinking about it (particularly while using my elderly Thinkpad). No one understands, they think I'm insane.

So I want somebody to give me an excuse to click the buy button, now, today! If I don't buy soon, I'll have to join a 12-step program!

Seriously, though - anyone heard of any substantial Lucid bugs affecting the Pangolin line?

Thanks for any info!
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Burning. . . Hole. . . Pocket --- Must. . . Buy. . . !

If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Burning. . . Hole. . . Pocket --- Must. . . Buy. . . !

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Red pill, definitely! I will do it, and I will do it now. Or to quote another famous bit of copy "That was easy!"

Still wondering about the bugs - but they'll get sorted out, right?

Thanks for the push! I'm off to the order page.
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by reid
    Hey, a couple of weeks more won't hurt you,
    This thread really isn't going to help much. Everyone is going to answer according to what they are experiencing, and those of us with the older Pangs have different graphic cards.

You have waited so long to make sure, why not split the difference between now and a couple of weeks and order in about a week?

I do know what it means to watch and wait (and save) for a computer. I first spotted and fell in love with the Ratel about 18 months before I ordered and then realized that I needed a loptop.

Enjoy when you jump. Eldera

OOPS. You typed faster than I did. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Eldera; May 3rd, 2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: .Post now irrevelant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Burning. . . Hole. . . Pocket --- Must. . . Buy. . . !

It's done - I'll soon be the proud owner of a new Pangolin. Thanks to Thomas Aaron and to the humorous, sensible (and effective) prods from steveneddy and Eldera! In a few days the waiting will end.

Have been haunting these forums for several months and really like the community. Here's hoping I can repay a little in my turn. Thanks all!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by re1d View Post
    It's done - I'll soon be the proud owner of a new Pangolin. Thanks to Thomas Aaron and to the humorous, sensible (and effective) prods from steveneddy and Eldera! In a few days the waiting will end.

Have been haunting these forums for several months and really like the community. Here's hoping I can repay a little in my turn. Thanks all!
    Congrats! I've been visiting the System76 site for years and finally last summer started getting serious about ordering and asking questions since my iBook was starting to become legacy since Apple retired the Power PC processor.

I don't know how many times I spec'ed the computer exactly how I wanted and hovered over the CheckOut button. Once I did and I finally received my PanP5 I had zero regrets. This system gets used hours each day and runs like a champ.

I'm still running 9.04 that shipped with it, which runs quite well, but whenever I have time to dump my data to our MyBook I'll do so and start reinstalling the OS. We're in the middle of packing to move (closing on new house on Friday), so I probably won't be able to get it installed for some time... but maybe that'll work to my advantage as the Canonical folks fix bugs.

But honestly I think you've made an awesome choice. Post some pics and thoughts on the new system when you get it. Take care,

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Congrats! I've been visiting the System76 site for years and finally last summer started getting serious about ordering and asking questions since my iBook was starting to become legacy since Apple retired the Power PC processor.

I don't know how many times I spec'ed the computer exactly how I wanted and hovered over the CheckOut button. Once I did and I finally received my PanP5 I had zero regrets. This system gets used hours each day and runs like a champ.

I'm still running 9.04 that shipped with it, which runs quite well, but whenever I have time to dump my data to our MyBook I'll do so and start reinstalling the OS. We're in the middle of packing to move (closing on new house on Friday), so I probably won't be able to get it installed for some time... but maybe that'll work to my advantage as the Canonical folks fix bugs.

But honestly I think you've made an awesome choice. Post some pics and thoughts on the new system when you get it. Take care,

Sam
    Will do! I'm sure I'll be happy with it. This will be the first Linux machine I've had on powerful hardware - I'm thinking maybe a helmet and a good set of goggles before I hit the start button first time out! Will post with specs & impressions as soon as. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is one bug you might notice. Due to an interaction between Plymouth (The program lucid uses for the boot screen) and the proprietary drivers, the boot screen is displayed at a very low resolution, meaning it looks really bad. Unfortunately, this is not a bug that is consolidated to System76 computers, and is rather a bug in plymouth, so we will have to wait for a fix from Canonincal.

In the meantime, the performance of the computer itself is not affected, so you can continue to use it normally, and ignore the boot screen. Many users simply use suspend all of the time anyway.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    There is one bug you might notice. Due to an interaction between Plymouth (The program lucid uses for the boot screen) and the proprietary drivers, the boot screen is displayed at a very low resolution, meaning it looks really bad. Unfortunately, this is not a bug that is consolidated to System76 computers, and is rather a bug in plymouth, so we will have to wait for a fix from Canonincal.

In the meantime, the performance of the computer itself is not affected, so you can continue to use it normally, and ignore the boot screen. Many users simply use suspend all of the time anyway.
    Sounds good to me - just checked again and my machine is still in manufacturing, said to ship maybe next Tuesday. . . needless to say, that isn't soon enough for me! But at least it's on its way.

Other than that, are you happy with the purchase? I keep reading positive impressions and reviews.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Congratulations on your new purchase. While I do not own a Pangolin. I am the proud owner of a first and third generation Darter, and a first generation Starling. i am very happy with all of my purchases and with System 76 support. Welcome to the "club."

Jor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast